Late 70s, early 80s "must haves"

-
A foam cooler full of ice cold Miller beer (the piss of beers!) in back seat , and an old Pioneer head unit like this in the dash cranking some AC/DC Highway To Hell while driving country back roads passing around a fatty of Panama Red!!

hqdefault.jpg

A foam cooler full of ice cold Miller beer (the piss of beers!) in back seat , and an old Pioneer head unit like this in the dash cranking some AC/DC Highway To Hell while driving country back roads passing around a fatty of Panama Red!!

View attachment 1715081354
I had one of these decks, if it played tdk sa90's it was fine, put in a k-tel cassette in it and at the end it would eject the tape out and onto the seat.

I had one of these decks, if it played tdk sa90's it was fine, put in a k-tel cassette in it and at the end it would eject the tape out and onto the seat.
That's funny ****! K-Tel....Patooey! :rofl:Good old TDK, those were "The" tapes to do recording with, I also remember some guys swore by Radio Shack "Realistic" tapes I think they were? But that Pioneer was in my as yet to be brother in-laws 69 Impala I think with a 396 with some sort of amp and speakers, man that stereo cranked, lots of AC/DC, Scorpions, Priest, amongst all the haze I always remembered that big dial

So who came first...THRUSH woody wood pecker OR MR. HORSEPOWER woody wood pecker??

DSC07642.JPG
DSC07628.JPG

I ordered one of these to put on my Barracuda but once it arrived and my wife saw it, she was so upset that I would put a sticker like that on my car that I had to leave it on the shelf. I thought it was cool, she thought it was very vulgar and totally unacceptable.
I explained to her that everybody used stickers like this one (and worse) in the 60s.....the more I talked the angrier she got...and as we all know, If momma ain't happy nobody's happy!!!

s-l225.png

Treblig

Last edited:
Outstanding answers, every single one!

I can only add the 2-6 of Tequila under the drivers seat and a hot blonde with low moral standards in the passenger seat (and hopefully one or two of her equally loose friends in the back seat)

And the fuzzy seat covers full of roach burns...

Last edited:
So who came first...THRUSH woody wood pecker OR MR. HORSEPOWER woody wood pecker??

View attachment 1715081369 View attachment 1715081368

I ordered one of these to put on my Barracuda but once it arrived and my wife saw it, she was so upset that I would put a sticker like that on my car that I had to leave it on the shelf. I thought it was cool, she thought it was very vulgar and totally unacceptable.
I explained to her that everybody used stickers like this one (and worse) in the 60s.....the more I talked the angrier she got...and as we all know, If momma ain't happy nobody's happy!!!

View attachment 1715081375

Treblig

No sense poking that bear. It's not worth wrassling a bear over a sticker.

Reformed pothead. Havent touched the stuff since she said "i'm pregnant". 26 years ago.

Had a friend that did a lot of airbrush work back then.he owes me,maybe i can get someting out of him for 1980's pricing.....

There was one i remember,50's car-green metal flake and louvered the entire hood. White tuck and roll interior.

69 GTX done in green crush velvet.it was nice.

80's Pyramid cassette with '300W' EQ that was the size of a pack of smokes (?) hanging under the dash and $25 6x9's in the back cranking Halens "Hot for Teacher", no headliner for better acoustics (yeah right) ,triple guages with the dripping oil pressure line. Hi-jackers and 4" shackles, Pos-A-Traction plastic tires that you could light up from 3rd gear, 2 different sized front tires (!) black primer paint, stamped chrome 5 hole rims in the back with a slight patina on them, Yellow AND Blue Mallory wires with the chrome spreaders, truck muffs off the header and nothing else. Heck, a current registration sticker you peeled off someone elses car, no spare..no front seatbelts...Cheapskin seat covers.."The Tree" air freshener off the mirror (Wild Cherry) and a bunch of Del Taco trash in the back seat plus a rust hole in the back floorboard that you could dump a beer. Ouch, that was all me!
LOL! I remember giving mom a ride in my 71 Pontiac in 1988. An empty quart bottle rolled out from under the seat going around a corner, all she said was " your gonna get yourself in trouble"

Some fur on the package panel under those pipe organ speakers powered by a Craig Powerplay would be "Far Out." Kick up the Head East Flat As A Pancake to drown out the Purple Hornies.

Along with trick paint jobs no 70's or early 80's ride would be complete without some sort of message on the rear that let the world know your slant six Dart with one barrel with air cleaner lid flipped over was a force to be reckoned with......, not like "hang 10" or "keep on truckin" , how about "Try Me" Buddy had a beater 67 Fairlane that he souped up and we hand painted that on the rear, never got any bites, but one time a cop did pull him over, and actually said he saw the Try Me written on the back so he figured he'd give him a try....true.

Am I wrong or has this thread taken on a life of its own? Not that I'm complaining about finding out my youth was actually normal. Man ya'll would have been a great bunch of guys to hang with back in the day!!!!!!!!!!!! Of my 2 best hotrodding buddies, 1 never saw 30 and the other slipped on the ice and hit his head and was never the same. Rock on my FABO friends!!!!

You all are forgetting the main ingredient.
Cute chick with tall hair.

You all are forgetting the main ingredient.
Cute chick with tall hair.
Sorry Cute chick with tall hair was end of the 80's not 70's into the 80's.

Also add the pint bottle of peach tree schnapps in the inside pocket or Black berry brandy.
I never did the pot thing- I did not like any smoke in my Demon except for my BF Goodriches "smoking posi!' ( yea I know... that s a chevy term but when your 16 it was cool.)

-
Back