Late Model Alternator Conversion

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just installed a 1990 Dodge Ram 120 amp alternator on my '71 Duster and it's not charging. The vehicle has been completely rewired with a Ron Francis harness. Previously on the vehicle was a dual field square back alternator. One of the field connections was grounded to the alternator case. Got 13.8 volts at idle. Since I have an electric fuel pump and electric fans I decided to upgrade. Instead of grounding one of the field wires as on the old square back alternator, I have one connected to a 12V switched source as the factory would have done for fear of burning out the alternator. Should I ground the second field wire?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 222
I believe these should wire up just like the older Mopar "dual field" I hate that term, "isolated field" is the correct description.

I would test this to make sure the alternator is OK

Ground one field terminal, hook the other to 12V and slowly bring up RPM while watching a voltmeter. It should increase. Be careful, don't let voltage climb above 12V

What are you using for a regulator, that is, 69/ earlier Mopar, 70/ later Mopar, or Ron Francis?

I'm using a Ron Francis regulator. New style gauges installed too. It's after 10:30 where I live so I will have to wait till tomorrow to crank the car up to check charging. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the Francis setup wires up like the 69 Mopar. That is, ground one brush, wire the regulator to the remaining one.

I have one connected to a 12V switched source. ... Should I ground the second field wire?
Yes, that would make it charge, but at full output. You can stop every 5 min and disconnect/reconnect to manually manage battery charging, but that gets old fast. Better to let the voltage regulator do that job.

If your original 1971 voltage reg, do as post #4 - connect one brush to "fld" of Vreg and ground the other brush. This mode is called "high-side control".

Alternatively, use a later "isolated field" Vreg, in which case you leave constant 12 V on one brush (as you wired) and connect the other brush to Vreg. This mode is termed "low-side control".

My 1996 Plymouth still has the "isolated field", with "external regulation". Instead of a Vreg box, I think that is inside the "engine controller", still using "low-side control". I expect a 1990 RAM alternator is the same. I don't know if Chrysler ever changed to an internal Vreg. The external type is easier to trouble-shoot. The internal type can be an easier fix since you swap the entire brush/Vreg assembly, i.e. the "throw parts at it" approach.

I grounded the second field connection, crank the car up, yep she's charging! Thanks for all the help.

-
Back