LATE model Dart love. 73-6

-
haha ...

I was on a google search and came across this .

what a unique pic ....I think she is looking for more late model darts LOL

Attachments

• attachment-414.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 297
I looked at a 74 dart sport before i bought my cuda. Typical I'm gonna fix it up someday owner. Car sunk up to its axles in Texas sand and clay. Would have had to use chains and a wrecker to pull it out of where it was at. Slanty six automatic. Granny green exterior, dark green bench seat interior, grand canyon dashpad. This clown wanted $3,500 for it, and it had not run in over 15 years. The beak isnt that bad, just takes some getting used to. I think the beak on the darts looks cleaner than the plymouth IMHO.

I wasnt hard set on a color however i always thought dusters and demons looked good in bright red. I envisioned a blackout grille treatment, or dark argent gray, leaving the trim around the edge polished, a twin scoop hood scoop, and a go wing or DC spoiler was my plan along with a chin spoiler. Repop rallyes or the black cragar 5 spoke steelies with soft edge cutouts and beauty rings.

I had a lot of ideas, but for the color combo it was, and having to do an interior color change, and the fact that i had to do the V8 swap with 4 speed including finding all the parts to do it, i would have done $800-$1,000 for it since it was relatively rust free, and all i was really keeping was a rust free body shell with disc brakes. It was not to be since i found a 67 cuda notch for a G note.

I think it could have been a nice car.

Btw i still have some 74 dart front clip parts off a parts car i had if anybody is interested. Got a set of headlight doors. One is nice, the other is dented ( i cant remember which). a drivers side fender (no rust ) a good grille, upper header panel (beak) 1 pair of rear quarter panel diecast caps.

I would still recommend pulling the bumpers off any beak car and removing the heavy assed I beams behind them along with the energy absorbing dampers, and making new bumper mounts using a welder and some steel angle or modifying some early bumper mounts to fit the bumpers back on. You could easily drop 150 to 200 lbs off one of these cars this way.

Come on.
That's a nice looking front end.
Admit it. It's a beautiful color too.

Good lookin dart. Great stance, nice wheels, awesome color.

Thanks fellas. The stance and the color are my two favorite features of the car. The color is one Dad and I created ourselves. We were trying to make 'Go Mango' but ran out of one of the pearls, so we just made several substitutions...

I like 'em just a little bit.........
I even have a '69 beak car!

Attachments

• 20150630_103.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 20150630_45.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 20150630_207.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 20150630_256.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 219
  • 20150630_238.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 20150630_255.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 20150630_240.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 20150630_241.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 20140610_48.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 176
I had a '74 Dart Sport for several years. In my small community, those that didn't like my "beak" didn't have to look at it long, 'cause all they saw were taillights !!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I got a beak car interchange question. Could you with minor mods put a 69 dart hood, grille, and front bumper on a 73 up dart?

The 73 up fender stampings look very close to a 67-69 fender. The obvious differences i can see are the parking light location and stamping, the area at the front edge of the fender where the bumper meets, and 2 welded in nutplates for an upper header panel.

I am thinking a 67-69 hood would do away with the header panel, and the 2 nutplate holes on either fender could be filled in.

If the fenders need to be trimmed where the earlier bumper meets them that is pretty easy as well.

The reason i am asking is a buddy of mine just got a 73 dart sport 318 console car. Not sure he is gonna keep it or fix n flip it. He's a chevy guy. I told him id ask though.

The fenders are good, but the bumper and grille are gone, and the hood is hail damaged. He also got a front clip from a 69 dart with it. I told him it will prob swap over. He wants to keep the 73 fenders and side parking lights so the car looks the same front to rear from the side.

Hey Rani,
Off topic but I think you and some others would be interested.
Seen this movie?
Not only is it a good movie, but check out the wagon.
Duel exhaust. And I noticed when they are driving the speedometer is on zero.
Just one of those movie things I notice.

Attachments

• Dolly parton.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 168
I've been staring at the beak on my '73 car for more years than I have been without it now...and I love it.

Yeah, I would agree with the consensus that pretty much everything made prior to the big bumper laws and malaise era styling looked better than what came after but I find the late Duster/Scamp/Dart/Dart Sport models to be some of the best of the era.

While the early cars are a bit more sleek and pure looking, the later cars at least look more finished and polished. They seem to have gone slightly up-market with these cars too as they switched to disk brakes/BBP etc.

The only thing that I dislike is the flat '74+ tails on the sedans/hard tops. They're not terrible but the earlier ones are much prettier, IMO.

Purely my opinion.

any more 73-6 Dart love??......lots of FABO members and so few cars here

Come on guys n gals show us some of the beak love. These cars can look really good with the right stance, wheels, hood, and maybe a blacked out grille. I'm kinda diggin em. If i didnt have my cuda I'd prob be lookin for a 74-76 dart sport.

20160506_220325.jpg
In progress still. I'm planning on finally dropping in the 360 this evening. Yes it's ugly but it's mine. I don't have alot of cash so little at a time.

You know I almost passed on this 1974 Scamp just because it was not a 1972 or older. I did not want the big front and rear bumper or the beak car so it was called, but the more I get done to this car the more I like it and the friends around me like it a lot now also. won't be long now before it is ready for paint and once it is all put back together well see what it turns out like.
Bob

085.JPG

I don't hate beak cars. I don't hate anything.
What I dislike about beak cars is, it seemed to me that when they came out they were copy-cat styling. Ford and Pontiac, and some other GMs had had beak cars for several years already, and I always wondered if Chrysler slapped that ugly beak on there to bolster sagging sales. If I wanted a beak, I'd have bought one of those other cars. I bought a Swinger/Demon cuz it had a ToughGuy brawler look. IMO the beak cars lost that look. That's OK though, cuz they weren't tough anymore either. They turned into granny cars. Gone were the power house engines. Gone were the hi-impact colors,gone were the performance powertrains. It was hello to obesity and luxo-amenities. They turned the once nimble A-body int a fat lumbering luxo-barge. I wasn't having any of it then. And I won't resurrect one now. You can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.That's not hating. That's personal preference.
But I can understand your viewpoint, cuz I've been married for going on 40 years. What's that supposed to mean, you ask? Well my wife think's I hate a lot of things. She thinks every time I raise my voice, the poops gonna fly.After 40 years she still doesn't get me. And after 40 years I still don't get her. We're just different. That is to say; men and women are just different.
I don't hate beak cars. But I very much dislike that Chrysler ever put one on our beloved A's.

Dayum, tell us how you really feel. The reality for a lot of folks is the more desirable earlier models are either rusted out badly, or already snapped up.

As far as the extra weight added to the beakers. Most of it is in the crash beams behind the front and rear bumpers, and in the later 73 up disc brake setups, which so many retro to the earlier cars. The A/C luxury item was virtually unchanged fron 67-76 so i dont see where that adds any weight. Bumper supports can be removed, bumper behind reinforcements can be unbolted, and new supports can be made out of lighter gage steel to get the weight back off.

Also all that weight in the bumpers with the energy absorbers bolted in was to comply with the new 5mph impact standards put into place by the DOT, and insurance companies. I am sure chrysler didnt want to add the weight and ugliness but was required to do so. Even the B and E body cars got blocky rubber tipped appendages added to front and rear bumpers by 1973

Yes they lost the power, but everything did from 73 on. The EPA and insurance companies killed it. Sure most became granny mobiles, but thats because most people who bought the ones in the 60s liked them, were getting older, and this was probably gonna be the last car they were gonna buy lasting em thru retirement. These people didnt want V8s, 4 speeds, bucket seats they wanted comfort, and if comfort and convienence was gonna get sales and keep chrysler in cash, then thats what they were gonna sell. Performance was dead by then. You dont try to sell people what they dont want to buy. Thats a recipe for financial suicide. You market and sell an item to people that they want.

Chrysler still marketed the "Rallye" packages, trying to get the youth into their show rooms, the rare hang ten surfer versions , but the good part about the oldsters buying em, is that is a lot of them lasted longer that way, and were well cared for.

With Beak cars came a better design of motor mounts and trans mounts. Plus you can always clip the beak on a duster and dart sport to make an earlier car, while using a later body in better condition.

My 67 cuda has beak car parts in it. K frame, trans crossmember, disc brakes. Had i not found it first i would have went with the granny green 74 dart sport i found later on, and made a 72 demon clone out of it.

Yes the high impact colors were gone, but they were gone on B, and E body cars too. The 318, and 360 were still offered, along with buckets and a 4 speed. The A body never suffered with rubber iso mounted suspension like the B body did in the mid 70s to soften its ride.

I think what you also forget is that most A bodies from the start, to the end in 1976 were "economy cars". Most had a slant 6, most were mundane, most had a bench seat.

You sound like like there were so many 340 dusters that you couldent swing a dead cat without hitting one. The reality is that performance A bodies during the muscle car era were the exception not the rule.

A majority of people bought A bodies during their whole production run because they were inexpensive to buy and got good mileage with the 6. Hell my 67 barracuda coupe had a slant 6, 3 on the tree and although already missing, the mount holes in the floor were for a bench seat in the front when i got it. That screams economy car my friend.

As a matter of fact i'm gonna blow a hole in your big n bloated comment. A 1967 dodge dart 2 door hardtop dry shipping weight is 2930 lbs, a 1976 dart swinger 2 door hardtop dry shipping weught is 3035 lbs. This is a difference of only 105 lbs, hardly the bloating your talking about. Dump the heavy crash beams behind both the bumpers i am willing to bet removing those bumper under structures will kill about 70 to 80 lbs, remove the crash beams in the doors, that i bet will take care of the remainder. I recommend you do your homework before spouting off at the cuff like that. It most certainly requires a rebuttal , and shows ignorance.

Soft suspension is only 340 T bars, heavy duty shocks and sway bars away from being sporting, a simple day job on a weekend. Add wider rims and low profile wide aggressive rubber C body pitman and idler arms, and handling and fast ratio steering is back

You can dislike the beak all you want, but as an economy car the 73-76 As did not stray far from their roots, quirky front end and *** end sheetmetal looks aside. BTW the 73 to 76 dart hood is a recycled stamping from the 69 barracuda, so is the 69 cuda a beak and ugly too?

Last edited:
You will not change my opinion, I lived it.
And calling me names will not hurt my feelings.
And yes the 69 is a beaker.
I still have a 69 Cuda sitting here. I did not build that one up, because I also had the 68 Barracuda slanty,without the beak.At that same time,I also had several other Barracudas; including a 68 FormulasS-383, and several parts Mopes.
I got my drivers license in grade 9 (1969).During those 4 highschool years,340 powered; Darts, Demons, and Dusters, were everywhere. I guess I just lived in a Mopar hotspot.
And sadly, yes I have owned beakers, including a 73 teener A/C luxo-barge SE.
I stopped believing shipping weights almost as soon as I read them.

Last edited:
I do not believe I called you any names, only said that yours was an ignorant comment given the shipping weight difference being only 105 lbs difference between a 67 2 door hardtop, and a 76 2 door hardtop, hardly extremes. however i will go by the dry shipping weights comparing apples to apples. If you dont want to thats your choice.

The 70s beak cars also used more aluminum. Such as aluminum on slant 6 intake manifolds, aluminum bell housings, aluminum cased 4 speed trannys. The mid to late 60s stuff used a lot of cast iron for these parts. I am using a late 70s aluminum cased A833, and mid 70s aluminum bell housing in my 67 notchback. Both improvements courtesy of the beak years.

I came of age driving in 1987. Most muscle was gone in my area succumbing to rust, and being junked by then. I was a B body fan at the time owning successive dodge chargers starting with a 68 383 model.

Additionally, you must have been living in a mopar rich environment then or can i assume correctly that you became driving age when these cars were new or near new

In 1968 dodge made a total of 171,772 dodge darts, with only 8,295 being the GTS package.

In 1969 dodge made 197,685 dodge darts, with only 6,285 being the GTS package.

These performance models are very small percentages of the dart production for these 2 years mentioned in the very heyday you are talking about, especially given the production capacities for these cars were close to 200,000 units in 1969. Most were garden variety cars with slanty sixes, or 318s

Then if using a division number of 50 for all 50 states and not taking into account canadian export, over seas export, or more being sold in certain states and less in other states, that means that roughly 165 1968 darts with the GTS package were sold per state, and only 125 1969 darts with the GTS package were sold per state. Again i am stating that i realize more were probably sold in some states than others, plus export cars. So although that number isnt accurate, its probably close.

The other reality was that when you fully equipped a dart with the GTS package it made it about as expensive to buy as a new super bee or road runner, which most people ended up doing. As such 68 RR sales numbered about 80,000 units attesting to the cars popularity.

Last edited:
I still don't know why haters are still coming on this thread just to say how much they don't like these cars and why. It says 73-76 love not come tell us all the stuff you hate on our cars. If you don't like the thread then STFU.

I dont own a beak, but the possibility that i almost bought one was there as i was looking for an A body in the 67-76 year range after i bought a 74 dart 4 door V8 donor car in advance of a project car. Granted the sheetmetal is not as desireable as the earlier models, but the structure is the same underneath making these a great platform to modify and an inexpensive alternative to the muscle car era stuff thats going up in value. These cars respond to the same chassis tweaks, and engine upgrades, and as a bonus many came with an 8&1/4 which is only a junkyard away from a jeep grand cherokee sure grip and gears to soup that up. They came with the more desirable larger bolt pattern, bigger 1/2" lug studs, and power disc brakes, spool motor mounts, Plus with the granny look on the dart swinger 2 doors , makes it one heck of a sleeper.

-
Back