Latest Purchase 62 Valiant 4 Door

-
lol Then I can have the trunk open from the hinge side and have a pop out disco ball. Love it. lol I needed a good laugh thank you.

I think that Valiant will make a great guinea pig car for honing your rust repair skills. The floors, cowl and lower door edges will be good experience. You will learn from experience and develop more practical ways to do this type of work. In the end you will have a decent driver without a whole lot of investment. Plus, fixing stuff is FUN!!! Go to the salvage yard and pick up an old hood or deck lid to scavenge your sheet metal on the cheap. Oh, and post pics!!!!!!! Good luck with the build.:burnout:

Thank you guys. I think this weekend maybe a harbor freight weekend. Planishing hammer, metal shear and maybe hole punch

That severe cowl rust is just weird considering the quarter panels and floor pan are quite solid.............

Is your Barracuda finished? If so then start another project and do it better "labor" this time. If not, then you will have "issues" before it is finished.
What does the wife "better half" want?

Bearhawke: I agree considering the quarters and fenders are awesome but the floor boards are completely gone as is the lower edge of the passenger door.

amx364: Barracuda is not finished yet just delivered all the parts to the garage hopefully a couple weeks. The wife does not really want a car she says she has a 67 Camaro she does not need another one. She NEVER drives it though. It sits in her parents garage all the time. I want her to have something she can take out and drive.

JH,

I say you should keep it and learn on it. I'm doing the same thing with my REALLY rough '64 Dart GT. Your's looks to be only rust, while mine is rust and impact damage. At least mine doesn't have rust through on the cowl or firewall.

Make the Harbor Freight run. Don't forget a 3" pnuematic cutoff tool and I've had good luck with the inexpensive pnuematic body saw. Then stop at the metal supply shop for a sheet or some scraps of 18ga or 16ga. I've been searching Craigslist for a bead roller, but you can make ribs with ball peen hammers anyhow.

Now as far as rust repair, neither your car, nor mine, has any rust issues at all, at least in comparison to this car: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=106974

I was wondering why I should even bother with the Dart I have. Being in FL now, I am SO missing living on the west coast with clean sheetmetal. I probably wouldn't have even bothered looking at this Dart for parts when I was living in Oregon.

But, same thing, I'm getting experience and learning, virtually for free. I already have all the tools, and a van body I'm cutting up for sheet metal. I borrowed a pressure pot type sandblaster and need to buy primer.

Go for it man!

Mike in FL

dodgedartgt Can you expand a bit on making ribs with a ball peen? Put it on a sandbag and just bang them in?

-
Back