Latest Purchase 62 Valiant 4 Door

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Purchased this Valiant 4 door recently I bought it to get a few parts I need for my Barracuda and am now considering saving it. Opinions on whether it is worth it are welcomed.

Things needing attention:
Floor boards are shot
Headlight switch missing
Blew out a freeze plug
Transmission is suspect
Exhaust leak (2 of 3 intake to exhaust bolts broke)
No interior

Good Things:
8 1/4 Rear End BBP
Rebuilt front end still SBP
Engine sounded strong
3 good tires

Sorry I knew it was a 64 I mistyped that one. So you think even with all the rust issues it is worth it? I noticed looking at the pictures that the cowl area is also rusted pretty bad.

Just bought a 70 Valiant 225 two weeks ago. I think these look cool, low and slow cruiser type. Eyeballing this spare 318 i got in garage to swap, with 392 stroker kit...

I am hoping that maybe I can hone my metal working skills and my wife can drive it to the car cruises and shows.

Just saying

rentblogpic.jpg

That's too bad about the floors, but I'd love to have those quarters, they're solid! Good on you for giving it a chance. The floor is a great spot to practice welding too, since nobody will see it but you.

Sorry I knew it was a 64 I mistyped that one. So you think even with all the rust issues it is worth it? I noticed looking at the pictures that the cowl area is also rusted pretty bad.
lol I was gonna say! That's the funniest looking 62 I ever saw! Lol personally, I'd save it. I think Flat black with all the chrome would look really sweet

Sorry TOO much project and poor direction. Take what you need from it and move on. There are much better 2 and 4 door cars out there in much better shape.

just wanted to have half a look at my old 62 dart I wish I had never gottn rid of. any of those left out there?? any 1 has a 62 2 dsoor dart please start a pic thread so I can see one of my old girls again . any 1 got 1 to sell on the cheap doesn't need a motor or trans send me some pics please . wow the lines on those are so kewl true art work

Looks like a parts car. Lotsa rot in that one.

I had one in similar shape that sat for 10-15 years before I got it and paid $600 for it and put another $600 to put on the road and drove it for 7 years without one break down and sold it for $800.

Purchased this Valiant 4 door recently I bought it to get a few parts I need for my Barracuda and am now considering saving it. Opinions on whether it is worth it are welcomed.

Things needing attention:
Floor boards are shot
Headlight switch missing
Blew out a freeze plug
Transmission is suspect
Exhaust leak (2 of 3 intake to exhaust bolts broke)
No interior

I think you guys are not reading what is missing or needed. By the time he gets to this stuff he will have 5 times in it more than it could sell for.

Is the car worth restoring to show car probably not is it worth fixing, is up to you, depends how far the rot is but most cars ive ever own needed floor pans to me thats nothing with a mig and a peice sheet of metal or two , a rug a couple of buckets seats, home made door panels dig up a back seat or stick 4 12's back there, 318 RV cam 4bbl and duels, flat black, would make a fun little bomber.

I Agree with the guys above. Lots of good parts to sell off.Use that money to get a less rusty car. Just looking I can see radio delete,steering wheel, column,manual steering box, That dash gauges look great. Good grille, nice straight back bumper. And more !
Someone was just looking for the rod type gas pedal linkage and carb set up in parts wanted not long ago.

easy to say when you live in the DESERT hey DARTER6,,,,!! LOL! if frame is good, patch floors with sheet metal just keep in mind what it is worth to YOU not anyone else. i love my dog but maybe noone else does!!????? personally i love the simple-ness of the early a and b cars, styling, mechanics, etc....

not all everyone would build it for resale. Some of us even have parts for it laying around. He asked us our opinion and we gave it. As I'm sure you know, none of us can tell him what to do with it or I would have told him to send it to me! Rofl my apologies if I'm coming across as an a$$.

I had one in similar shape that sat for 10-15 years before I got it and paid $600 for it and put another $600 to put on the road and drove it for 7 years without one break down and sold it for $800.

Picked it up for 400 + 55 (uhaul) + 65 (gas)

I know I'm spoiled.When I moved out here from PA 20 years ago,, I "thought" my 67 Dart wasn't rusty till I saw desert cars.

So looks like 50/50 just about saying save or part out and scrape. I think at very least I am going to try the floor pans. I am considering buying a planishing hammer and trying to fix the cowl. If I can get those done then I think it may be worth trying to save. I personally think it is going to make an excellent learning car.

I learned a lot of mechanical and general stuff on the Barracuda now I feel its time to hone my skills in metal work and fine grained restoration.

So looks like 50/50 just about saying save or part out and scrape. I think at very least I am going to try the floor pans. I am considering buying a planishing hammer and trying to fix the cowl. If I can get those done then I think it may be worth trying to save. I personally think it is going to make an excellent learning car. I learned a lot of mechanical and general stuff on the Barracuda now I feel its time to hone my skills in metal work and fine grained restoration.
the. That's a great place to start. I have a suburban that I'm going to experiment with. It's got a nasty cave in above the pass taillight. So when I have the money I'm going to invest in a slide hammer and the erm... Nail welder? And pull it out the best I can and smooth it out. I bet it's gonna look like crap at first but it's trial and error lol if you decide to fix it, have fun and take your time. :)

Why not try to fix it?
It won't cost much money out of pocket and you can learn a lot before you dive into your ''real'' project.
Just make sure the frames etc. are still good or it might be a real P.I.T.A. that you will regret.

Here is something else to consider. By not using those parts that you need for your Barracuda how much will the Barracuda parts end up costing you?

All I needed was the hood and front bumper. My plan was to take my Barracuda hood and knock the damage out as best as I could and use it until I stumble on another. I am not taking anything else.

-
Back