Layoffs thanks to the Dart

-
I read that it got off to a slow start because at first it only came with a manual transmission. The article said that today's young buyers don't know how to drive a stick and have no interest in learning.:banghead:

LOL, because it would be harder to drive, shift AND text at the same time.

I was driving a manual shift at 8 years old!

I picked up a 13 Dart Aero Turbo about two months ago and absolutely love the car. I needed something that gets killer mileage and is comfortable to drive. This car fits the bill.

The Dart was a POS economy car when it first came out. What's changed?

it's not as roomy as the '68 was.

steering is way better. my old dart was kinda sloppy.

suspension hmmm... all the same to me.
both work fine for highway driving. I had good tires on the old dart so I wouldn't make any grand assumptions about better handling.

better mileage. I got 19mpg in the '68/340. 35mpg in this one.

factory stereo is 10x better.
electronics based, so working on it will be a challenge. the PCM (powertrain control module) and TCM (transmission control module) are flash programmed with updates as needed at a dealer.

neither was/is POS

I've put quite a few miles on both types. I've owned POS cars and darts are not. they could be if not tuned/taken care of/etc but that's all on the owner

A 1968 Dart is about the same size as today's Crown Victoria, and sold for under $2500, new.

If you're going to introduce a "new car model" it should, at least, be "NEW". There's nothing new about a 4 cylinder, FWD, over priced, 4 door, econo-box. It's been done, it's been done better, and it's been done cheaper.

If you want to sell cars, you have to make something that people want, and something that is a bit unique. The new Dart doesn't cross the the tees of anyone's "wishlist, that a hundred other vehicles don't already do. The ONLY thing it has going for it is that it says "Dodge" on it, and we all know that MoPar fans will buy anything that even extremely remotely might hint at being a MoPar.

I never saw the new dart as a "New" vehicle, I never saw it as a possibility for a new purchase, and I never saw it as a MoPar. It's none of those things.

It is a economy sedan, the same as a Corolla, or a Civic, or any of a plethora of other economy sedans. No better, no worse. If you are in the market for that type of vehicle, it's as good as any in it class.

Not a bad looking car! Just because it's called a Dart doesn't mean it's going to be a retro 64 Dart like they did with the Challenger. The Dart was originally a economy car and that's what the new model represents. Too bad there are hundreds of similar models by all the manufacturers. That's a tough market to crack. It's great they have some performance options. tmm

Attachments

• 2014-dart-exterior-threequarters.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 109
Too bad there are hundreds of similar models by all the manufacturers. That's a tough market to crack.

and thats the biggest issue. there are many cars in that market that are proven and have a track record and best of all you don't have to deal with a shitty chrysler dealer to own. plus as i stated earlier when they came out there were no incentives on them so they ended up costing more for less of a car then moving up to the avenger which had all kinds of financing deals cash back etc..etc. a lot of people went in that direction..

for me if/when i'm in the market to replace my DD yaris i won't even go close to a chrysler dealership to do so. i'm going to seriously check out the chevy spark,sonic and cruze then check out the ford fiesta and focus. the chevy and fords seem to be getting better mpg then toyota and hondas these days. i have to figure out if they're as reliable though..

I drive one for a demo and take away the name and its a fine car with great mileage. Our dealer must be doing something right because I never get over 1500-2000 miles and they sell it on me. I have had six in the last year. Still they will never compare to any of their namesakes! Like my 1974 Dart Sport with 1970 340!

Never thought I would miss the Turbo Shelby Daytona.....

Never thought I would miss the Turbo Shelby Daytona.....

Like this one?

It's my sons 89 Daytona Shelby Turbo, Radiant Silver with a cloth "Bordeaux" interior (kind of a lighter burgundy color), paint color is 1 of 258 cars painted that color in 89, the Shelby Daytona's production run that year was 4741 models, and the interior on my son's car was installed on only 127 of the total models produced that year.

Makes you wonder how many of those interiors were in other silver models, my son is part of the turbo dodge forum and so far has not run into another member with a silver one with the same interior scheme. I tend to believe this is a rare one indeed.

Oh, and it isn't stock, it's got the factory 2.5L T1 common block engine with a Stratus DOHC 4 valve head bolted on it and a big turbo, plus he can tune the ECM with a laptop, the car is quite the handful in the first 2 gears at full boil, that is if he hooks it! I want to challenge it with the Duster at the local drag strip hopefully this summer, could be a good matchup!

If it goes down I'll post the results.

Attachments

• DaytonaShelby.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 113
Quite frankly, I'm surprised that anybody buys a FWD... The only reason people buy them, is because they make them and the public doesn't know any better. The reason all manus do FWD, has nothing to do with traction, safety or anything else, other than ease of assembly. They can button the entire drivetrain on a subframe and put the body on it.

They all suck for maintenance, even on basic things, like spark plugs, they are extremely overpriced, overweight, full of crap that you don't need in order to get somewhere and full of your tax dollars.

I will never a FWD as long as I live.

Like this one?

It's my sons 89 Daytona Shelby Turbo, Radiant Silver with a cloth "Bordeaux" interior (kind of a lighter burgundy color), paint color is 1 of 258 cars painted that color in 89, the Shelby Daytona's production run that year was 4741 models, and the interior on my son's car was installed on only 127 of the total models produced that year.

Makes you wonder how many of those interiors were in other silver models, my son is part of the turbo dodge forum and so far has not run into another member with a silver one with the same interior scheme. I tend to believe this is a rare one indeed.

Oh, and it isn't stock, it's got the factory 2.5L T1 common block engine with a Stratus DOHC 4 valve head bolted on it and a big turbo, plus he can tune the ECM with a laptop, the car is quite the handful in the first 2 gears at full boil, that is if he hooks it! I want to challenge it with the Duster at the local drag strip hopefully this summer, could be a good matchup!

If it goes down I'll post the results.

Thx added---My 72 340,

Just piss off the rwd 'purists' , I have a complete '91 Iroc' powertrain
(small shaft 568, Ostrich enabled SBEC), slated for the '67---

Moats Ostrich? that's what my son is using too on his Daytona SBEC. Nice little box.

-
Back