Lazy Shifting

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Vehicle is a mostly steet drive 71' Duster with a mild 340. The car has all it's kick down linkage and a transgo stage 2 shift kit but I have never cared for the way the car shifts. When cruising it's picky about the rpm it will take to attain 2nd or 3rd gear which on a residential street can be a pain. Of course when you want to go and hit the throttle it will usually downshift and go but on the downside there is always that certain rpm band where you can hit full throttle and it will not down shift and will dog the engine in too high a gear resulting in poor acceleration.

I'm thinking about changeing the valve body, been looking at Cope, Turbo Action and SMR. I fond most don;t list if they retain engine braking in all gears thought and I want to stay automatic as well.

Sounds like some fine adjusting on your kickdown needs to be done.Have you thought about going to a Loakar kickdown cable?It makes for easy adj/setup.Just my 2 cents.

I had a 904 with 2500 stall and trans-go 2 kit.It worked flawlessly.

Adjust the cable/rod to move the shift point.

Theres also the line pressure. But you'll need to drop the pan for that one.

I had the lokar cable and it was worse, I played with it for months and never found the sweet spot, went to a factory kickdown and it was much better.

I've adjusted the kickdown plenty but I end up with a trade off even higher rpms when cruiseing to get 2nd gear, again a pain to be pushing 2800rpm or more in a redidential street while waiting for a shift or I back it off and the half throttle kick down sucks.

.....When u say factory kd were the pieces all from an A body.........ofcourse there could b a problem with the way the shift kit was done....and believe me it happens alot.....kim........

It was a repro kit on e-bay, looks to be all correct and better then the hacked up stuff that I removed from the car. Shift kit was done at the trans shop who did the rebuild. I've contemplated a 4 speed swap but just can't cut the price to do so.

-
Back