LBJ needed for Disc Brake Swap?

-

694spd

Reaction score
A friend of mine is installing disc brakes on his 1969 383 drum brake Dart. He has picked up a pair of 73 A-body spindles and upper control arms.
Can he mount the disc spindles to the existing drum brake lower ball joints? Or does that set up require the 1973 lower ball joint?

A friend of mine is installing disc brakes on his 1969 383 drum brake Dart. He has picked up a pair of 73 A-body spindles and upper control arms.
Can he mount the disc spindles to the existing drum brake lower ball joints? Or does that set up require the 1973 lower ball joint?
I believe the lowers are the same it's the upper ball joint that you would need the larger one like you have. I put a set on my 63 Dart and the upper ball joint was the issue. Hopefully someone else will confirm. good luck take care

The lower ball joints bolt to the spindles and those bolt patterns differ. some are threaded holes where others and drilled through and nutted also. Either ball joint stud does fit the hole in all the lower arms though.

The lower ball joints bolt to the spindles and those bolt patterns differ. some are threaded holes where others and drilled through and nutted also. Either ball joint stud does fit the hole in all the lower arms though.
RedFish, thank you
I was thinking the lower arm when I read his question. That's why I love this place, you can learn something new almost everyday. Thanks again RedFish

You are better off buying the later disk brake lower ball joints. By the time your done drilling the earlier units to fit the later disk spindle bolts there may not be sufficient material/strength in the ball joint body depending on who made it.

No he can not.
Get the 73-76 A body lower ball joiont.
All the same, drum or disc.

Good upgrade.
I'll be in CNY this summer driving so I like it :thumbsup:

The disk brake lower ball joints are much cheaper and more available when I last checked, maybe $30 ea vs $60.

-
Back