LCA and Pivot Shaft Question

-

ElephantKiller

Reaction score
I am in the middle of replacing bushings in the lower control arms. I purchased a set of DuraLast bushings. The pivot shaft slides in the center of the bushing without the aide of a press. If I recall, I had to press the shaft out. Is my memory correct, or does the inner shell actually pivot on the pivot shaft? If so, what retains the LCA on the pivot shaft, the strut rod?

Thanks,
Aaron

should be a press fit but some after market bushings include the inner shell and some dont. You will probably be going back to the store. good luck

All poly bushings reuse the inner shell and discard the outer shell. All rubber bushings use both shells. What holds it in is the torsion bar once its in place. It's not a press fit like the rubber ones.

Well, I tried a second set of busings and they were also loose on the pivots. Is there a posablility that the pivots have worn or do I need to find somewhere besides Autozone to get bushings? I checked on some replacement pivot shafts from Mancinni, but they are on backorder until March. Does anyone know of another source for replacements or have some good used ones?

the rubber bushings I used for the lca's had to be pressed-- on/off both the pin & the shell.

Is it possible they gave you the wrong part? maybe a "b" body bushing?

If you are using poly mounts I have no clue,
Lawrence

Well, I took the bushings back to the parts store. I measured the inside diameter of the bushing. They measured 0.83. They are supposed the be 0.81, the same diameter as the pivot shaft. I'm going to try a different manufacturer and see if they work. I'll report back when I get the other bushings.

Aaron

I am gathering that "duralast" is an autozone bushing. Are these poly or rubber that has ineer and outer shells?

Here is the verdict. The lower control arm bushings from AutoZone will not work. The center sleeve is too large and does not have a press fit. I tried two boxes and the bushings in either box did not work. I purchased a set from Oreilly and measured them before taking them. The centers were at the correct 0.81 inch. So for future reference, steer clear of the DuraLast lower control arm bushings.

Aaron

-
Back