LCA Reinforcement Plate

-

fjr

Reaction score
I'm working on upgrading to slider disc brakes on my 1965 Barracuda. Since I bought a front-end kit from Just Suspensions, I've got the LCAs out now to change the LCA bushings.

I see that both Firm Feel and AR Engineering offer LCA Reinforcement Plates. FirmFeel recommends them with a sway bar kit.

If anyone has installed these plates on their car, have you noticed any improvement in handling/ride/etc because of the plates?

Even the sissy little factory swaybar put a twisting force on one side of a lower arm assembly. If I were going to install one of those huge aftermarket swaybars I would definately want the reinforcement plates welded on to transfer that force across both sides of the arm.
From what I've read, those retail plates arrive flat and will need formed to the contour of the arm during install. I dont know why short pieces of flat bar welded acoss in a few places wouldn't serve just as well. An opening for the adjust bolt ofcouse and an opening at the bottom for rocks and mud to escape is all to factor in.

I have them welded onto my LCA's and it definetly helped to strengthen and tighten up the front end! I would recommend them.

On my 1970 Duster I used the plates.It stops the flexing the lower control arm.After installing the plates I had them powder coated black along with K frame.

IMG_0729.jpg

I'm working on upgrading to slider disc brakes on my 1965 Barracuda. Since I bought a front-end kit from Just Suspensions, I've got the LCAs out now to change the LCA bushings.

I see that both Firm Feel and AR Engineering offer LCA Reinforcement Plates. FirmFeel recommends them with a sway bar kit.

If anyone has installed these plates on their car, have you noticed any improvement in handling/ride/etc because of the plates?

You're not going to feel it if that is the only change you make. Doesn't mean there isn't a benefit in certain situations, but no way are you going to feel that in the seat of your pants.

IF you are running a big 1 1/8" or larger sway bar the LCA sway bar tab could flex the stamped half of the LCA. It would be more of an issue with the center sway bar tabbed LCA's (73-76 A-body and 70-72 B-body and all E-body).

You can just put a piece of 1" strap under the sway bar mount and reinforce it. And it weighs a a lot less for unsprung weight.

Here's what I did...

73-76 A-body LCA on the left, 66-72 A-body LCA on the right

LwrCntls.jpg

Thanks autox, I know what I am doing this weekend...
C

Don't forget to add a strap at the back to tighten up the looseness in the T-bar adjuster swivel. Carefully clamp the sides in a vise until there is still movement to move up and down. Ok if there is a some friction in there because the weight of the car and the adjuster screw will overcome it.

LCAweldprocedure.jpg

One note of caution with the reinforcing plates, check the position very carefully before you weld them on ! Mine was off just a hair.And I had to grind the opening to get a socket on the head of the torsion bar adjusting bolt .

-
Back