LCA without Swaybar tab...

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Has anyone adapted there LCA without sway bar tab to fit a sway bar? Ive heard of some using the shock bolts?

Yep, the aftermarket Addco swaybars come with a piece of angle iron with holes drilled in it that bolts through the shock hole.

A better option is to fab some up out of 2x3 box tubing and weld them to the LCA. I've done that several times before, it's cheap (free if you already have the tubing!) and strong. You don't even have to take the arms off the car.

I figured that part. Was really looking more for the geometery side of that tab. i its just a L bend or is it twisted a bit?

Nope, it's just a cheap piece L bracket with holes drilled in it that has been zinc plated.

The ones that came with my last Addco swaybar didn't even match each other or have 90 degree cuts! :sad3:

See i was thinking once I got it where it needed to be. I would run it through the shock bolt and tack it on each side to keep from moving.

This a quick and dirty drawing on what I usually make for cars without swaybar tabs. Cheap and effective.

Attachments

• swaybar tabs.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 331
No, there's a couple different ones. The tabs on 1967-1972 and 1973-1976 are in different locations. Not sure about the earlier A-bodies.

if you want a nice sway bar contact dave @ hellwig. he can set you up. the one i got for my 67-72 a body without sway bar tabs on my LCA's came with a 1/4" thick L bracket powdercoated black...talk to dave... hes here on the site user name "dave@hellwig" :)

If you have a stock sway bar you could buy reproduction tabs and weld them on just like OEM. I know they are available but I dont have the link.

If I add a sway bar to my 65 Dart, I have been considering connecting to the strut rods, using junkyard parts from other cars.

If you are thinking "bad idea - that will bend the strut rods", that is how it is done on my 65 Newport and looks like a factory design.

2 different kits. Trough 72 to sway bar end link kit is longer. In 73 the sway bar went through the K. The tab is closer to the center of the lower arm and the end link kit is shorter.

No, there's a couple different ones. The tabs on 1967-1972 and 1973-1976 are in different locations. Not sure about the earlier A-bodies.

Early A's are the same as the 67-72

anyone got photos of what they have done?

I have an Addco swaybar coming from a member on here for my '67 Valiant so I'll be whipping up another set of the ones like I doodled up above. I can take pictures of what I make and how they look after I weld them on.

Early A's are the same as the 67-72

Thank you, learned something new today! :D

If I add a sway bar to my 65 Dart, I have been considering connecting to the strut rods, using junkyard parts from other cars.

If you are thinking "bad idea - that will bend the strut rods", that is how it is done on my 65 Newport and looks like a factory design.

C-bodies have their sway bars set up like that. Both our '70 & '71 Newports are like that.

if you want a nice sway bar contact dave @ hellwig. he can set you up. the one i got for my 67-72 a body without sway bar tabs on my LCA's came with a 1/4" thick L bracket powdercoated black...talk to dave... hes here on the site user name "dave@hellwig" :)

yep! I have the frt and rear on mine. Great parts with great customer support!

RabidScott: did you ever take pics of the tabs you made? I'd like to see where they are on the arms. How far is the center of the hole from the side of the control arm? Thanks.

Hellwig or a Hotchkis bar like mine comes with the tabs and tells exactly where to position them.

-
Back