LD340 before and after porting numbers.

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Member Chris I’ll let him step in hopefully to explain the situation a little better but here’s my attempt. He is going to run a class with rules that limit a particular Edelbrock head and he’s limited to an LD340 intake. He’s allowed port work and a bigger valve so he went with a Ferrea 2.055 intake valve. Intake is allowed to be ported. To try something different I’m going to give you guys the head flow numbers. If interested cut and copy the flow numbers and take a stab at what you think the flow numbers are with the stock intake bolted on. Then right across from it add where you think the numbers will be after port work. Keep in mind this is a dual plane intake which really limits the amount or work that can be done. I’ll let it simmer till I watch the steeler game tomorrow afternoon. I went to church Friday evening and Sunday if I hit the shop I try to work on my projects but I’m behind on this job so for a little break from starting on his other head I’m going to start porting his intake. Any questions post them up but no hints on numbers.

IMG_0015.jpeg

What class has these rules? I wanna watch the races!

plenum divider removed? and I take it that there is no cutting/slicing/dicing/rewelding the intake.

plenum divider removed? and I take it that there is no cutting/slicing/dicing/rewelding the intake.

Stock but touched up and squared up notch to dress it up some. No metal added typical
250-300 dollar dual plane type work.

I think it’s fair to say none of us have any freakin clue what the numbers will end up being but ALL of us would like to see results. I’m not guessing because it would be just numbers on a screen. I could roll dice and it would be the same as my guess. But I’m here for the results.

I think it’s fair to say none of us have any freakin clue what the numbers will end up being but ALL of us would like to see results. I’m not guessing because it would be just numbers on a screen. I could roll dice and it would be the same as my guess. But I’m here for the results.

Game starts at 4 or so and I’ll be hungry by then as I got a fairly early start today. I’ll post up some pictures on my progress and stock flow numbers during the game. Lord willing it will be done tomorrow for ported numbers.

Hey another thing I don’t know about you guys but maybe we can drag some info out of Chris about his engine build, more info about this class, pictures of his car, rules, how quick he has to go to be competitive, heads up or bracket style racing, etc.

Super Stock class
Not NHRA Superstock or Stock legal head as they are bigger
than stock port CC's which they WAY ARE!

BTW the correct Edelbrock Replacement heads that NHRA accepts
are Way Larger than actually legal specs as produced. That is a story
in itself that I better not talk about in public!

Last edited:
I wouldn’t rush in giving and the big ❌ till we get more info. This gentleman is from the southern states and they play a little differently. It probably not the super Stock class you are thinking of. Ok I got a lot of work done this morning. Pictures coming after I eat but here are before porting numbers (stock)

IMG_0012.jpeg

I'm way too stupid for this kinda thing to offer any guesses. "A good man's gotta know his limitations".

Not sure what the stock intake is, but I'll take WAG. I'm probably way off but my reasoning is stock intake will hinder #'s more drastically then LD340.

20231022_182517.jpg

now those numbers against a stock TQ intake

My wild guess would be to see a 6-8 percent gain in the .500/.600 range and drop it on something with some stroke.

So @pittsburghracer the numbers you posted above, just so I’m clear.
714F83F1-93D0-4B52-9A40-59504A8DF3BA.png

This is intake port flow on bare heads.

F82B5875-F012-461D-A55B-AA78C76D8FD8.png

And this is intake port flow of heads with an LD340 that you haven’t massaged yet.

Are both of those statements correct? Or is the second pic intake flow on one runner of the ld340?

It is hard to take pictures of any intake. A dual plane intake is damn near impossible because of lack of lighting. There’s a lot of radius work you can’t see in those photos. In some areas there are three radius’s stacked on top each other heading to their runners.

-
Back