LD340 before and after porting numbers.

-
It is hard to take pictures of any intake. A dual plane intake is damn near impossible because of lack of lighting. There’s a lot of radius work you can’t see in those photos. In some areas there are three radius’s stacked on top each other heading to their runners.
Are We going to get an 'upper vs lower' plenum split, or are You confident it'll be a wash, asking for a friend......

Are We going to get an 'upper vs lower' plenum split, or are You confident it'll be a wash, asking for a friend......

One port only. Way to much work removing the head, switching the valves around, remounting the head, readjusting the valve opener, etc. I have a head to finish, a TrickFlow intake showing up and starting this show all over.

One port only. Way to much work removing the head, switching the valves around, remounting the head, readjusting the valve opener, etc. I have a head to finish, a TrickFlow intake showing up and starting this show all over.
I need to PM You about Your bench setup, when things slow a little post race season,
20220807_190132.jpg

I've resorted to this method for those PIA pics...

Without writing all the flow figures down i will throw in a guess that between 500 and 700 lift with the ported LD340 it will range between 263cfm and 285cfm and within 5cfm of the head flow from 100 to 450.

Ok guys numbers are in. Please excuse my scribble but I’m clipboard writing as I don’t have a desk in my shop. As usual I’m disappointed in the final numbers and it’s why I talk guys out of porting dual plane intakes. But in Chris’s case he is limited to this intake so any gain has to be grabbed. Like I told him two of those runners I took 3/16-1/4 inch of material out so this intake for sure will see track gains. It’s a nice smooth flowing intake for sure. Like Chris said let the debate begin. He’s supposed to post up more about the class soon at mine and other’s request

IMG_0052.jpeg

With your expertise, i guess it shows how solid that as cast intake is. Not to many going to run it with a .650/.700'' cam.

With your expertise, i guess it shows how solid that as cast intake is. Not to many going to run it with a .650/.700'' cam.

It’s always been a great intake for it’s intended purpose. I have a a decision to make on my sons combo one of these days and it may be the answer. He lives in Colorado so there’s that issue. He has a modified 360 in the car and two 340’s, it’s a four speed street car. Well my first love is porting his Speedmaster heads and adding a 2.055 intake valve and a ported Victor340 intake. Where honestly a set of ported 2.02 heads (290 cfm) with a ported LD340 would be a better combo for him in the environment.

Your SM heads and the V340 would probably needs some gear to max out in that situation, depending on how serious he is with the car. No doubt you'll fix him up with whatever he needs for his purpose.

Love reading your posts as a ''retired from cars guy''. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

The owner of these heads and intake promised to come on and tell us about his combo and rules. It’s a very interesting four speed class that you guys would love to hear about.

Curious if you have done any work on an air gap and how it compares to the LD340.

Curious if you have done any work on an air gap and how it compares to the LD340.

I Think I have and if you start a post asking I will try to find pictures and flow numbers of it and a ported Speedmaster but let’s keep
This on point. Thanks.

Southest Gassers Super Stock class not NHRA -
4 speed only
No 4 links or Cal tracs
Max overbore 0.60
Specific alum heads allowed and weight added for heads
Hoosier designed a specific tire for group basically 1967 NHRA tire rule (7") wide 29" tall
Dual plane intakes only 1" spacer allowed
9.5 Lbs per cubic inch (small block) with driver
3100 pounds min weight regardless of cubic inch

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a badass class, Chris.

Yall remember too though, like Rat Bastid used to always say, the flow bench and dyno are not end all be alls. The drag strip is the tell all. That intake may well perform better than flow numbers. That's just something you won't see until you get it on the strip. There's no substitute for the WHOLE CAR doin its job!

Sounds like a badass class, Chris.

Yall remember too though, like Rat Bastid used to always say, the flow bench and dyno are not end all be alls. The drag strip is the tell all. That intake may well perform better than flow numbers. That's just something you won't see until you get it on the strip. There's no substitute for the WHOLE CAR doin its job!
Yes Sir

Thank you - Sir
Unfortunately have to work around perimeters they inacted for group ,
Wish we could run a single plane maybe some day. The LD340 is one of the best DP offerings and it's vintage so it will have to do ,
Also no air gap intakes allowed so it came down to the LD340 or Rpm offering.
I think it will work great on your combo. I’m anxious to hear times next year.

Thank you - Sir
Unfortunately have to work around perimeters they inacted for group ,
Wish we could run a single plane maybe some day. The LD340 is one of the best DP offerings and it's vintage so it will have to do ,
Also no air gap intakes allowed so it came down to the LD340 or Rpm offering.

You picked the best of the three.

-
Back