Ld340 intake holes

-

Jimmy428

Reaction score
http://s117.photobucket.com/user/djmdragracing/media/ld340.jpg.html

This picture is representative and I borrowed it from a google search. This is not my photo. I am referring to the hole on either side of the intake below the carb base in the middle. Disregard the arrow in the picture. That is not the hole.

What is the purpose of these holes? They are quite noisey and sound like exhaust coming through. Is it ok to block them?

This same intake is installed on my 273 commando. I bought the correct manifold for it but for now I would still like to know what these holes are for and if they can be blocked. I searched fruitlessly for hours. I'm sure it's simple. Thank you for the help.

Those are not supposed to be drilled all the way through. If they are, somebody messed it up. They should be tapped and plugged.

Just checked my LD340. Although the holes are there, mine don't go all the way into the intake plenum underneath the carb! Do yours????? They should not be drilled through unless someone has been playing with it????

I have a strong hunch they are all the way through because I feel a suction on one side which I am assuming to be the intake vacuum and this would explain a hell of a lot. I will confirm this and have them tapped and plugged anyway.

Locomotion is right - hole is for an a/c compressor bracket. Should not be drilled all the way through. I see no need to plug the holes unless someone drilled it all the way through. Otherwise leave it be.

Ok, my bad. I was distracted by the arrow. I now see the hole in the middle, near the bottom below the carb base. But the photo 4spdragtop posted seems to have a plate, or something, in that area that the OP pic doesn't!

I do recall that there were 2 different LD340's. One had a Chrysler part number cast into it and the other one was Edelbrock-only. Don't know if that makes a difference. But it doesn't explain what the hole is for.

I bet that was for a divorced choke option. I dont think the A/C has any business in that area.

I bet that was for a divorced choke option. I dont think the A/C has any business in that area.

I gotta agree... something choke related

To the OP...are you saying there are identical holes on both sides below where the carb mounts??

Yes there is a hole on both sides and they make muffled exhaust sounds. It's strange but the drivers side sucks air in whereas the passenger side blows air out. The holes are blackened with soot so there's no doubt something is going on. And they are hot as he'll to touch. When temporarily plugged the noises go away.

A divorced choke of some kind makes sense, but why holes on either side?

I'm going to try and plug them when I get a chance and see what difference it makes, if any, and report back. I'm sure other people have the same intake as I've found pictures online such as the one I posted.

Choke stove heat tube for Holley carbs.
That is the exhaust crossover. tap them & plug them.

-
Back