LD340 MODIFICATION OR NOT?

-
Mopar Edelbrock Intake Manifold 318 360 340 Alloy Chrysler SBM Charger Valiant | eBay

Here’s one that appears to have been cut for a spreadbore. Look what he’s asking for it.
Thats in Australia and as new edelbrock manifolds are around $1200 people will pay good money for used ones.Hell even a 750 holley is near a grand new here!
Our aussie dollar is only about 65c to the US dollar.But on the other hand our wages are very big at the moment as my smash repair bussines the top tradesmen there are earning About $2500 clear after tax a week. When I worked at a mine site ten years ago we were getting $3600 on the long week and $2850 on the short week! That would be a lot more now as I have heard the miners now get about four grand a week.

The intake is too nice to modify. To do it right, it would appear as though the carb base would need to be built up around the back barrels as there is not much meat left over on the flange after the cut. I will be installing the OEM 2100 intake to run my original TQ and air cleaner.........Unless I decide to buy an Eddy carb and run my shiny Direct Connection stuff. Damn rabbit holes :)

The intake is too nice to modify. To do it right, it would appear as though the carb base would need to be built up around the back barrels as there is not much meat left over on the flange after the cut. I will be installing the OEM 2100 intake to run my original TQ and air cleaner.........Unless I decide to buy an Eddy carb and run my shiny Direct Connection stuff. Damn rabbit holes :)
You will like that combination. That intake works very well.

Hi Folks

Putting this on a 9.3 to 1 340 with an XE262 Cam running an auto and 3.23 gears. I am planning on running a factory TQ. Should I tastefully modify it for the spread-bore, or do I consider an adapter? Pro's and cons of each please. Thanks FABO

View attachment 1716090998

those intakes bring too much money these days for me to cut up an untouched one. i'd sell it and buy a spreadbore intake if it were mine.

First, I'd leave it alone. Second, the is no provision for a factory choke. TQ's should be choked to start, even in California or Florida. There is enough meat to cleanly modify it for a TQ. If you want to trade even up (assuming yours has not been milled on the intake face), I have one that was not pristine so I had it modified including welding up the heat crossover, cutting down the center divider per Super Stock recomendations, and opening up the carb base for a TQ. Never ran it since it was fixed.
swap to electric choke, they have kits, or buy mine, lol

those intakes bring too much money these days for me to cut up an untouched one. i'd sell it and buy a spreadbore intake if it were mine.
The Weiand Action Plus is an excellent intake. It does need a bit of work. A port matching and if you still wanted the divider milled down, it would be well worth the price. By the time the LD-340 is sold, the roll over to the Weiand would make it free. Do the mods yourself to keep money in the wallet for sure.

-
Back