LD340 vs other intakes

-
I had a stock '69 340 Dart about 20 years ago that had a Torker and it would boil the tires endlessly? Maybe it was the stock cam or just an exceptional engine?
I never raced it and have no numbers,but it worked good.
There are stock cast iron intakes that run 10's on well built 340's.Maybe we make too much of some of these performance parts!

To that I agree to a point. While the aftermarket has made some turds, the recent crop of parts are very good.

The 340’s you mention are FAST racers. The intake is holding them back a lot, but, those are the rules.
Factory Apearing!
Well modified... shhhhh ... LOL!

I dont beleive the Torker is as bad as people say these days. I will admit there are other choices but a Torker is a period correct street / strip peice.

LD340 hands down.
Nice dyno test
From 4600 rpm 6200 the torker 2 has the best torque numbers
Its close starting at 4600 from 5000 to 6200 the torker 2 makes the most hp
4500 stall the torker wins
great door stop

I never had a problem with my door stop TorquerII-340!

I never had a problem with my door stop TorquerII-340!
my torker 340 intake worked well with spray shrug still have it
There is atleast 3 guys on this site running 10s with them.
As stated before older guy in my town bracket raced 69 cuda a56 notch i was 18 he was 40s bought it new340 727
Tried every combo gears 3.55s to 4.56s
all the cams intakes and carbs.
He settled on stock cam advanced abit 3.55s tm5 700 dp everything else stock including the ignition13.1@103 104 won alot of trophys car was consistent and was quiet as a mouse.
I was bummed when ill i heard here was its a door stop
Makes me want to reuse it for the next project just to see

my torker 340 intake worked well with spray shrug still have it
There is atleast 3 guys on this site running 10s with them.
As stated before older guy in my town bracket raced 69 cuda a56 notch i was 18 he was 40s bought it new340 727
Tried every combo gears 3.55s to 4.56s
all the cams intakes and carbs.
He settled on stock cam advanced abit 3.55s tm5 700 dp everything else stock including the ignition13.1@103 104 won alot of trophys car was consistent and was quiet as a mouse.
I was bummed when ill i heard here was its a door stop
Makes me want to reuse it for the next project just to see

Depends in the comb, each and every time. Today, I would t even think about a single plane unless the cam was at least 255@050 in a light car. Have it ported and run it to 7K. It’s a big plenum/short runner intake.

Depends in the comb, each and every time. Today, I would t even think about a single plane unless the cam was at least 255@050 in a light car. Have it ported and run it to 7K. It’s a big plenum/short runner intake.
I sorta agree the airgap is they way to go for from idle to 5k perfect street intake good street/strip setup
I always liked single planes if using a stall id run one still
the fact the torker made more hp then the holly grade strip dom is funny
It was said with spray run a single plane better distribution but engine masters proved that wrong
open plenum intake use a 4 hole spacer made better power then open engine masters
dual plane use and open spacer made more power then 4 hole engine masters
spray on dual plane open spacer should be the ticket.
But sometimes if running a stroker or spray or both you can could afford to give away some low end might help hook
combo dependent

Last edited:
I pick

IMG_1580.jpg

I used a 360 with Holley Strip Dominator, unported LAX heads, around 255*@.050 flat tappet cam in a 3,540+ lb car. BUT.....it had 4.86 gears, 30x9" tires and a converter that actually flashed to 4900-5400 rpm, depending on the weather. Footbraked from 3-3500 rpm, stayed well above flash thru the rest of the run and shifted just under 7. 1.47, 11.14 @ 117+ best

When looking at dyno numbers, "peak" doesn't mean much. It's the "area under the curve" - within the actual operating range. Combo of parts working together is important but fine tuning can net surprising gains. lots of back-n-forth changes. Just need patience and an understanding of how the changes interact.

As for the intake comparison.....wasn't the Torker II modified?

As for the intake comparison.....wasn't the Torker II modified?

Yep! Sure was. I also call this test a bit bogus and not really tapping into the intakes potential. It’s a fine A-B-C test with a “Look what happens in this specific combination.” And that’s it. Just that specific deal right there.

This test also reminds me of the header test. It was exhaust manifolds vs shorty vs 1-5/8 vs TTI stepped be Hooker 1-3/4.
The engine was very mild. So, IMO, the headers were not taxed.

I don’t think the tests were bad, just narrow in the parts ability arena. The (big) problem is I now see and hear people quoting the test as gospel and the other parts now suck.

Last edited:
Isn't there issues with some of these where the hood doesn't close or the air cleaner rubs the underside when the engine torques? The thing with the Torker is it was a low single plane fits underhood in a street car if i recall.

-
Back