Leaf Spring Question!!!!

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
I've done a bit of a search, but I'm not really finding what I am looking for.

I'm working on a '71 Swinger that currently has a slant 6 in it. I have a 318 for a future swap.

The rear of the car is level, but seems to be sagged compared to the front that I just set to factory spec. When I swapped the rear end I noticed that the rear springs seemed fairly light duty. They would be whatever is stock for a slant 6 of that year. I don't remember the count on them.

Anyway, the question comes in replacing the springs. I have seen posts about super stock springs and posts on the extra heavy duty 5 leaf spring (think that is the right number) that JC Whitney used to have. The issue I have is that from what I understand these spring both lift the back end of the car over stock. I would prefer to stay at the stock height as much as possible as the car is going to be a street driver not a racer or anything.

Anyone have suggestions on springs, places to get springs at a decent price, experience with a certain spring etc?

I'm just concerned that the Super Stocks have a really high lift and I've read that they tend to lift one side higher than the other.

The extra hd springs seem to not have the one side higher than the other problem, but concerned that they will lift too high and the spring rate might be harsh for daily driving.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers

Brit;

I can't coment of the JCW springs. But I got mine from espo.com. They offer stock spring heights. I got a set for my '79 Magnum there. They also offer 1 inch over. (Or lift) On my Duster. The car does have a slight rake. The front end was not adjusted for the /6 to 318 swap ethier. Theres a lil'space between the tire and wheel well lip. Doesn't look stock, doesn't look racey.

Heres the link; http://www.espo.com/
You might be able to do better price wise. I'm not sure.

Thanks very much for the reply and for the link.

I'll check them out. I've got 225/60/14's on the back right now and the wheel lip is probably an inch above the rim. Would like to get it back to stock height or perhaps very slightly higher, but would prefer not to have them above the tyre. The ones you got might work as if you adjusted the front up to spec with the V8 I would think the back would settle a bit. What do you think? Or are they really stiff and you think that the inch above the tyre would stay the same?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

I think they gap will close up a tad. How much? I tell ya in a few days. I'm working on a patch of metal right now. Once the cars back down on the floor, I'll readjust the height.
I'll break out the tape measure for it.

Stiff? Well, LOL, not like the ones that came out!!!!!!! He he he.

Super Stock springs are for drag racing and do not give a stock look. I ordered the stock replacement springs from Mopar and have been very happy.

Looks like I'll have to call them at ESPO as when I look up Dart only spring hardware comes up. Don't see any springs.

Any other sources anyone has found?

Cheers

I got a set of replacement springs a couple of years ago from Jegs. I got the SS Springs with an extra 2" of lift built into them - come to find out that the original springs, my '69 Barracuda also was originally a slant six car, were so worn out that it raised the rear of my car by more than 2 inches! They are now nice and tight, which helps in the cornering, but the rear of the car is a little higher than I would like. Not too high that I'm looking to replace them though...
I'd stick with the SS Springs at the stock height - you might be surprised how bad the original springs are sagging!

S/S springs do not come in varied heights for any car.

Rumble, look forward to the measurement info, thanks.

1968, thanks for the tip on direct from Mopar. Was there a decent priced place that you found them?

de69, Thanks for the tip on Jegs. I'll have to check them out. Thanks also for the info on the Super Stock springs. Did you find them to be higher on one side than the other? The issue I'm afraid of is what you mentioned. I think my springs are pretty knackered and even the stock ones might be a bit of a shock on how much higher they are. I really don't want the car to look like it is jacked up. A slight rake that still allows the top edge of the tyre to stay covered by the wheel lip is what I'm after at most.

Thanks for all the posts and help.

Cheers

PICT1284.jpg

PICT1287.jpg

The SS springs i got off of Mancini racing did lift one side higher then the other, this pic really doesn't do it any justice as they settled down a lot on the passengers side.

PICT1284.jpg

PICT1284.jpg

PICT1287.jpg

PICT1287.jpg

Thanks for the great pics and info. That was just my concern. As I'm not racing the car I'm thinking that Super Stocks are not the way to go for me.

Looked at Jegs and looks like $240 for a pair of Competition springs. These I am guessing are Super Stocks.

I did see Mancini had a set of xhd springs for $185. I read there is a lift with those also.

BTW The SS springs (by design) are made to lift the rear of your car (more so on the pass side to pre-load the suspension) If you play around with things to get the car to sit level (and/or low in the rear) you defeat the purpose.

MANY people run SS springs when they should have got stock or stock HD springs.

Yes, that is what my thinking is right now. Looks like finding a stock spring either through a Mopar perf vendor or I've been wondering about a local spring shop and if they can build some to spec. I assume they have formulas in a spec sheet or at least I would hope so.

Thanks for the great pics and the help.

Cheers

OK, better late than never..........

My '74 Duster has 225/70/14's on all 4 corners. ESPO.com's inch over springs.

The drivers rear is ........27-1/2 inchs high.
The pass, side rear is ...27-13/16

The heavier 318 inplace of the /6 without readjusting the ride height on the /6 bars is
Drivers front, ...26-1/4
Pass. side is ....25-5/8

I need a second hand to remeasure the front with me (@ 175-180 lbs.) inside.

rumble, Thanks for the info and taking the time to measure. Funnily, once I had the front set on my car (/6 in it) the measurements are about the same in the front. The rear are a bit of an inch lower than the front on my car so I know for sure I need springs.

Did you have to call ESPO to get springs or am I missing where they are on the site?

Here is another alternative, this company supplies springs to Mancini, JC Whitney etc. I have the 5 leaf HD springs on my Duster.
Pics are here in the restoration section under My '75 Duster. At first they were about 4 " higher than the old sagging springs but after a few weeks they are a couple of inches over stock. they'll probably settle a little more when the car is complete.

I bought mine from Whitney but they were made by;
http://www.johnrspring.com/index.htm

gerty, thanks for the johnspring link. I'll check them out. I'll also have a look at the pictures in the resto section. Cheers!

Oh, rumble, wasn't clear in my previous post, but my front measurement comes up about the same as your front measurement. If I remember right I'm just under 26" on both sides.

Cheers

No problem Brit. I got it.
Yep, I called them.

anyone on here running the hotchkis 1 inch lowering springs on their a body? Im getting ready to put my narrowed up explorer 8.8 in my dart n want to put new springs in at the same time

See my thread about this very topic in the steering/suspension section. The springs I sell aren't cheap, but are nice and solve the problem. The Hotchkiss springs sit ridiculously low on Darts. Maybe on lighter weight 108 wheelbase cars they are fine but in mine it was a joke.

-
Back