Leaf Spring Suggestion for 70 duster

-

dustadude

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm curious to hear some opinions about leaf springs. I've got my 70 duster, 360, 904, 8 3/4 rear. I'm slowly bringing the car back into driving condition and I've reached the point where I want to replace my sagging stock springs. I've seen the springs on sale at jegs, summit, hotchkis lowering springs, and even got a quote from springsnthings. I'm not looking to have my rear end shooting into the sky, just looking for a good sty of springs that will let the car sit at a "stockish" height. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions? Thanks guys

Oh and I mainly just plan to use as a daily driver. No autocross or crazy stuff, but I wouldn't mind getting able to setup something to improve handling down the road

In my experience, Laura at ESPO spring&things is a GENIUS - easily the most knowledgable vendor I've ever dealt with.

I went with their 2" over height springs in my 73 Duster. I know that's not what you are looking for - just a plug for a great vendor. She knows everything about everything she sells.

I also put a 1.25" Hotchkiss front sway bar in my car and it made a HUGE difference. I don't autocross, but cruise around town.

Hope this is helpful

in th epast i have used espo's 6 leaf xhd springs at +1". i'm after something different this time fo i got a pair of eaton springs from pete (GMachineDartGT) at http://www.bergmanautocraft.com/ . they were here in two days. still have to find time to install them.

There is a good shot of the bar in my photogallery. You might notice that the end link isn't fastened to the Sway bar in the picture (but thats another story).

Otherwise, I have s***loads of pictures if there is somethging else you want to see.

Does JC Whitney still sell springs? I got a set of HD springs from them about 10 years ago and just installed them last year. They are made by John R Spring Co in the USA and ride excellently. They were cheap too! About $120/pair 10 years ago if my memory serves me correctly. Look up John R Spring. You can probably buy directly from them if JC Whitney doesn't sell them anymore.

There is a good shot of the bar in my photogallery. You might notice that the end link isn't fastened to the Sway bar in the picture (but thats another story).

Otherwise, I have s***loads of pictures if there is somethging else you want to see.

i have one i have to install.. i have control arms with the brackets already welded on.. they said it would work with those mounts but i'm not 100% sure. guess i'll have to mock it up.. kinda wish it was a bolt on deal.

I did the 1 inch over ESPO springs and loved it. The car was given a nice easy hot rod rake without being in the sky like the S/S springs. Ride was good and the car tracked straight.

AbodyJoe, looking forward to pictures.

have any pictures of the install?

Here are a couple of better shots of the bar and my LCAs. On the 73, the sway bar fits through the K Member, and the end links hang below the LCA brackets. I think 73 was the first year for this style.

The brackets came with the Hotchkiss bar. They were the only welding needed, the rest just bolted on to the K-Frame.

Attachments

• 100_5421.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_4982.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_4979.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_5141.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 244
cool.. i have the older style k-frame and sway bar brackets.. hopefully it fits.. they say it will but its hard to yell in pictures..

I did the 1 inch over ESPO springs and loved it. The car was given a nice easy hot rod rake without being in the sky like the S/S springs. Ride was good and the car tracked straight.

AbodyJoe, looking forward to pictures.

all i got so far...lol

springs.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

-
Back