Leaf Spring u bolt nut problem !!!

-

motobro

Reaction score
Hi
Im trying to remove my leaf springs and then the axle so I can get it powdercoated.
The ubolts are sort of rusty , I shot some lube on there to soften em up but it doesnt seem to be working. Are the nuts that I am trying to take off supposed to be difficult to remove, like oval or something. An impact gun wouldnt take em off, I had to loosen them by hand with a pipe breaker bar adapter on my 1/2 ratchet. I gave up for the evening before getting them all the way off.
If they are too rusted to reuse where is a good source to get some new ones ?
thanks

Attachments

• untitled 2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 251
They are not self locking. (or didn't start out that way :))
Wire brush the threads, then spray them and remove.

cut the u bolts and get some new ones at a tractor supply place or from summit, u bolts are way to expensive at places like napa.

And... DON'T support the axle, support the leafsprings instead at first.
You still have a lot of springforce on the U-bolts now.

Grind them off near the top of the axle tubes somewhere so you only have to grind once per U-bolt.

Its called a scored nut. Look at it closely and you'll see a tiny square stamping in the middle of 2 opposing flats. Get the nuts hot enough fast enough and they will zip on/off with a impact.
Not many types of nuts would work here since they're torqued to only somewhere around 60 ft lbs ( I forget ), too much part movement .
The U-bolts aren't supposed to be reused but many have and will.

If they're coming off that hard, i wouldn't re use them.
Just cut them off or use a lot of heat on the nuts and buzz them off. (after wire brushing the threads of course)
New ones aren't very expensive at all if you look at them on Jeg's, Summit, or rock auto.

Leaf spring U bolts and nuts are really not supposed to be reused, although if they come apart easily, and look good, I do. They are so cheap anyway, that it's good insurance to replace them. Measure what you have and go here:

http://www.generalspringkc.com/U_Bolts_s/1964.htm

Match them up and order them. Their U bolts come with washers and nuts. They are very reasonable. Click on "add to cart" and you will see the different choices available.

Take fine die 1/2" I think. Out of your tap & die set and chase the threads. When you get the die to go easy forwards turn it over and chase it the other way. Tighten the nuts up so you can get the most threads.

i had to use a 2 foot breaker bar and cheater pipe to get mine off. Then like everyone else said, buy new ones.

Leaf spring U bolts and nuts are really not supposed to be reused, although if they come apart easily, and look good, I do. They are so cheap anyway, that it's good insurance to replace them. Measure what you have and go here:

http://www.generalspringkc.com/U_Bolts_s/1964.htm

Match them up and order them. Their U bolts come with washers and nuts. They are very reasonable. Click on "add to cart" and you will see the different choices available.

Damn. I paid twice that through Mancini...

If you are having your axle housing powder coated, just replace your ubolts. If you have a truck repair that does suspension repairs, they will probably bend new ubolts for you and for a small amount. Just take an old one whether you cut it or not so they can match what you need. Will look better than rusty ones.

I looked on summit after I posted , and they have them there.
The frame is supported a little farther up in the photo, so all the weight is not on the axle and springs. I will add another jack into the mix under the leaf spring, thanks for the tip.
Thanks for all the help guys !
Where would I be with out you ????

From the picture, those bolts are junk, it looks like the diameter were the nut was sitting is smaller than the rest of the bolt. Just cut them off.
Also check your shock plates they look bent.

-
Back