Leaf Springs,Replace or recondition?

-

Monaro

Reaction score
Whats the opinion on replacing/re-conditioning leaf springs? Discussion is divided over here, some say replace only, others say the reco ones work just as well. Although mine did not sag, they are in a rough state with one falling apart when I removed it (no cracks or broken leafs). The car will be my daily ride (69 cuda), reco springs are half the price and local-no freight, what do you think? :banghead:

The only thing I can think of telling you is if the reconditioned springs have been re-arched, eventually they will probably return to a sagging state again.

I guess it really depends on what you are doing with the car, condition etc. If it's a restore, I would consider new myself, Just my opinion.

Where you are at I would go with the re-arching them and reconditioning them only do to the cost of freight.

Rearching is a temp fix you are streching old tired steel its a quick fix but till you go to the work of taking them out and putting them in you might as well spend the money for new.

get a set of mopar xhd springs (about $200 for a left and a right) for a street car. for racing get superstock (ok for street but a bumpy ride and makes your car tilted a bit). there are aftermarket like hotchkis and others.

re-arching your current springs is gonna cost you money anyways, and they are not super expensive to just replace them.

I would say you will probably be better off in the long haul to replace. Not that much more $$$ when you pencil it out.

The secret to having leaf's rearched is to add a new leaf to them,or replace at least some of the leaf pack. Many big rig truck shop's re-arch cheap,I'd go and talk to a local one. Im going to do the same. Buying them over the net is costly shipping wise. They are heavy and large.

espo springs and thiings has stock ones 250 I just bought the 1 inch over springs.

Thanks everyone for your input, I have decided to replace them.
Cheers,
Monaro.

The secret to having leaf's rearched is to add a new leaf to them,or replace at least some of the leaf pack. Many big rig truck shop's re-arch cheap,I'd go and talk to a local one. Im going to do the same. Buying them over the net is costly shipping wise. They are heavy and large.
Correctomundo. Local shop; re-arch, add a leaf. Works every time, and lasts. For less than shipping costs, anymore.

Yes resto is right, we have done 2 cars that way, local. I have a set of un-used SS springs, can't sell them because shipping kills the deal,it's over the $100 I want.

I know right? By the time your $385 spring's are landed in your door they are worth well over $500. Not to dis the op's decision but you really should talk to a spring shop before pulling the trigger.

6 months ago; 60 Charger; under $200, and 30 miles away; and they work good, with a hoppy 440, and no traction aids, on the street.

There are two ways to rearch springs. With heat wnd without. Without heat, the springs will revert back to their worn out shape pretty quickly. With heat, they do last somewhat longer, but still nowhere as long as a new spring pack. You'll pay a spring shop way more than you can buy a new spring pack for to rearch old springs. Rather than listen to a bunch of bad bullshit advice, get new springs.

Yep,this is all trucker's do is get re-arched and add a leaf. Some folk's would rather buy em new from a fancy boutique though. I really think this buying local has several advantages;1) no huge shipping charges 2) Need it serviced? It's right there..across town or they may even offer towing services 3) custom tuned leaf spring pack's,whatever you want/need 4) You are supporting local job's and economies!!!

Well let's see, How many leafs are in OTR truck spring packs? I wonder what a NEW OTR truck spring pack costs compared to reacrhing? I think comparing OTR truck springs to a 4 or 5 pack car leaf spring is kinda stupid, don't you Paul? I bet those OTR truck spring packs are probably close to a grand each. Same reason OTR trucks have tires regroved and recapped. COST. You can get car spring packs for under 200 bucks. BIG difference.

You can get car spring packs for under 200 bucks. BIG difference.

And that's why I said I would replace them if it were me. Re-arching is a temporary fix, they will return to a sagging state over time. It seems to me it would be cost effective to just install new ones and be done with it.

And that's why I said I would replace them if it were me. Re-arching is a temporary fix, they will return to a sagging state over time. It seems to me it would be cost effective to just install new ones and be done with it.

Puzackly my Meechigan friend.

Well seeing how it took the original spring pack 40+years to sag I'm not gonna worry about it. A proper re-arch only re -arches the eye leaf and replaces the leaf pack,all for a lot less than any fancy internet store.

Plus there is that local job's thing I mentioned,but hey in this economy that doesnt matter at all.

Either way the op is getting new. I'm getting mine done local,save a ton of money and support my neighbour's job. Oh and I'll laugh all the way to the bank. The last quote I got was well under $200.

A proper re-arch only re -arches the eye leaf and replaces the leaf pack,all for a lot less than any fancy internet store.

Well, that's something entirely different, you are "replacing" leafs with new. If you re-arch each individual spring leaf {which is what I consider re-arching and thought that's what we were discussing} and reassemble the leaf pack as it was, you may get a couple of years {depending on how much you drive the car} out of the re-arching. They will return to a sagging state in fairly short order.

The above statement isn't something you were clear on, or I misunderstood, in previous posts.

In my opinion 200 bucks for a new set isn't all that bad, less work and wait, new bushings, no rusty or pitted parts etc.

I understand now what you were trying to say.

I know right? By the time your $385 spring's are landed in your door they are worth well over $500. Not to dis the op's decision but you really should talk to a spring shop before pulling the trigger.
I paid $300 for new XHD leafs from the local Chrysler dealer,no shipping cost.Just lucky I guess.:toothy10:

I just love it when people are called bullshat and stuoid. Marbe we should just let" his highness" answer all /'s from now on.

I just love it when people are called bullshat and stuoid. Marbe we should just let" his highness" answer all /'s from now on.

Im used to it. Coming from Rob it really doesnt mean anything,lol.He treat's everyone that way! And he's much gentler than some of the other yahoo's around here who accuse me of much worse than being stupid and wrong.Lol,I can take being wrong,Im not perfect!

Here's another good point for you to consider,and one I completely skipped over. The steel quality used in a truck spring shop is absolutely the best,because it has to be.Cant necessarily say that for what you get through the interent. It might be good,it might not be.
I've heard an awefull amount of complaint's around mopars leaf spring's anyways. Dont know about other supplier's and dont mean to bring thier quality into question because I have no idea about that. The spring shop owner I spoke to told me he MUST use very high quality steel in the truck spring's or the trucker's complain about the spring not lasting and end up buying elsewhere. Not to mention failure of a spring on a big rig would be disastrous at speed on a highway,to say the least.

A full service shop can even bend you a new eye spring as well. I think the quote I was given was about 180-200 buck and it would be all new!

So before you buy spring's ask this;where is the steel made,and what quality is it?

I had my Signet's leaf springs redone at a truck place 25 years ago to the specifications needed according to the Mopar chassis book. Car still hooks up and looks good doing it. Guess it all depends on the knowledge of the rebuilder..

-
Back