Leakage?

-

kma

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it supposed to come coolant from this hole when taking the bolt out? It´s a 318 if you didnt already figured it out :)
The owner before has put some guggelmuck in the hole to seal it.

Is the bolt threaded in aluminium or the engineblock?

Thank you

waterpump.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's what it is supposed to do.

the bolt along with Teflon sealer keep water from coming out of the block.

The bolt goes right into the cast iron block.

I hate to tell you this but looks like somebody stole your alternator bracket and alternator

I second what Geo said. Someone stole your alternator. :wack: No, I mean that bolt is tapped into the water passage so yes you will get some coolant coming out of that hole.

Some bolts penetrate the water jacket, some into the block (oil), and some are blind. I used a wire to figure mine out when I changed the timing cover. On all that need sealing, I used "gasket sealant" on the threads (violet sticky stuff).

Easy boys. I have the bracket AND alternator but I have a small issue aligning the alternator pulley with pump/crank pulleys though.
I have fabricated spacers and two washers to make it fit (not in picture). Only mock up.

Realized today that threads in the hole where the coolants coming from is shot #-o

Thank you for your time.
To be continued

alternator.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

AND, again with the rubber fuel line, from pump to carb! Plz, PLz, put a hard line on that.
That alternator bracket doesnt look right, and/or doesnt look installed right.

dodge,....just how old are you?I guess leakage is something in my future then.lol

The threads are waaaay back there in the block. 3/8NC IIRC. Hard to imagine somebody pulled the threads out of the cast iron. Could happen though, I guess. Dont forget the cylinder sleeve is right behind that hole. Maybe within 3/4 of an inch; guessing.I seem to remember those bolts going into the WJ had special washers.

Check depth, might still be a piece of bolt in that hole. Someone might have wrung it off and its weeping past the cover gasket

The threads are waaaay back there in the block. 3/8NC IIRC. Hard to imagine somebody pulled the threads out of the cast iron. Could happen though, I guess.

Here in Sweden we live in the "metric" system and the bolt I pulled out was a M10 not 3/8. From what I´ve heard sometimes the bolts rusts and stucks/cracks. I think thats what have happened and the previous owner redoned the threads to M10 and still shot.

AND, again with the rubber fuel line, from pump to carb! Plz, PLz, put a hard line on that.

I´ll keep that in mind. Thank you

Now it looks like this with spacers and alignment is perfect. Have not sealed the bolt yet and the adjustment bracket is not mounted.
If I succeed seal it , I will Helicoil the threads in the future.

Thank you guys for the conversation

alternator%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Since an M10 screw is only .019" bigger than the 3/8 screw that was supposed to be in there, the threads must be completely buggered up now. That isn't nearly enough "meat" to re-tap that hole. Drill out all that cap and put a 3/8-16 helicoil in there, and get rid of the metric stuff!

Looking good
Yeah, we Canadians were forced to convert to metric from imperial back in the 80s by our incredibly brilliant government. Now we have two systems running side by side, And we mechanics have tools out the wazoo. Just like we have two national languages.
For a while the French wanted to throw up a wall at the quebec/Ontario border, and let us Westerners alone.I thought for sure we would be free of them. In the end though, they realized, even though we were few in number, we had everything they wanted.We are stuck with them.At least theyre still not trying to kill us yet.

-
Back