Leaking 833 Vent

-

airkiller

MOPARS Rule
Reaction score
CAn anyone tell me why my fresh rebuilt 833 vent gear oil out of the vet on the top of the housing. I filled the case to the plug hole (fill to spill) and when I drive the car it will vet out gear oil. Not much but enought to make a mess with about a 4" diameter puddle.

There is a sheet metal baffle that shields the vent from direct splash. Unfortunately it is only accessible from the inside...

I disassembled the trans when I rebuilt it and never noted a slpask gaurd inside the tail housing so it must have been missing to begin with. I just got the thing installed and really would hate to have to remove it again. What would be the down side of plugging the vent with RTV. Would there be any problem with pressure building in the case, I have no idea where that may come from.

Do not plug the vent because in a short amout of time every seal will be leaking in your trans, meaning complete tear down.
The tranny has to vent, because the oil churning in the transmission will make bubbles, which make pressure and have to go some where.
You could possibly un-screw the vent and make a vent extension like 4x4 trucks have on their differential and run it up higher on the car.

I feel sick right now. CAn there be any other solution other than having to remove the trans and take the main shaft out from the extension housing?

There was some thing I read on the Brewers page about the vent being for 66 and up trans. What was done on the 65 units?

Pop the floppy lid off the vent, attach a hose off the vent stub to someplace higher, (a short piece might be enuff), maybe put a screen or some-such over the end to prevent bugs/dirt.

Any oil going up the hose will drain back.

Here's the shield that's supposed to be in the tailshaft housing-

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=V-BAFFLE&cat=255

hope it helps

-
Back