Leaking Bolt on Water Pump

-

trevorcrum

Reaction score
All,

I just swapped out my Power Steering Pump as it was leaking fluid. The swap seemed to go fine, and it's driving well, but I noticed that when I loosened this bolt, to release tension on the belt....coolan fluid runs out. When I removed it completely, it gushed like a hose. And after the swap I tightened it up as much as I could....but now it's now slowly leaking.

I pulled it all the way out and it seems like a bolt with a long smooth shoulder on it.

How does this thing seal, and will it damage ( or help ) anything if I put some sealant on it ?

Thanks.....

Attachments

• IMG_1144.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 181
Put some RTV on it as it goes through the block and into the water jacket.

Seriously ? That seems like a bad design. RTV on the thread or the shaft ? Or both ?

I actually put it on the entire length of the threads filling the threads level with it.
This way as the bolt goes in it backs up and fills the void between the pump housing and the bolt.
This has always served well.

"Bad design" huh?:D
Never pulled exhaust studs before have you?
They go into the water jacket as well.

I would also put RTV on the entire bolt, shaft and all. The bolt is steel. The timing cover is aluminum. Over time they will corrode together and the bolt will break off in the timing cover when you try to remove it. Coating all four long bolts thoroughly will resolve this.

When I put the aluminum water pump on my 65 small block, I bought all new bolts at Ace - stainless for the shorter ones and yellow cadminum plated for the 4 long ones. I probed each hole w/ a wire (timing cover off) to see which were blind and which go into oil or water cavities (most). I used "gasket sealant" on the threads since it stays pliable. Silicone seems to shear off if you later tighten or loosen the bolt. Any fasteners that are steel into aluminum, I coat the threads w/ anti-sieze, using copper stuff for high temp. Over time you learn which ones snap off otherwise.

-
Back