Leaking from head bolts

-
Ive had great luck with permatex #2 going into water jackets
a question , what if you are using arp fasteners and lube, will that change your torque settings, if you are dressing the bolts with a different compound??

Just got my '72 318 block back from machine shop (cast dated '71), all head bolts are dry.

Yes the lube from ARP affects torque levels. Not sure whether up or down, but I believe ARP mentions it on their site.
Ive had great luck with permatex #2 going into water jackets
a question , what if you are using arp fasteners and lube, will that change your torque settings, if you are dressing the bolts with a different compound??

according to ARP catalog page 134, The ARP thread sealant will allow you to use the same torque values as their assembly Lube, when using ARP fasteners

I don't know what this will do to your torque readings, but since it is a liquid that cures in the absence of air I will mention another product that you may want to consider for this problem. It is used a lot to seal joints on model steam locomotives (search 1/8 scale steam locomotives on you tube), it's readily available on the "Jungle site".
Loctite 542 Thread Sealant
Suitable for metal threads only
Instant low pressure seal
Resistant to fuel, oil, coolants, and hydraulic fluids
1,000 hour % of initial strength
Motor oil 100%
Unleaded fuel 95%
Brake fluid 95%
Water / Glycol 50/50 mix 90%
Locks against vibration loosening
Hope this helps................................

Can confirm that the '82 model 318 I'm doing at the moment has head bolts in to the water jacket. Freaked me out at first because I'm used to early 70s small blocks.

This early 80s engine has so many minor differences.

318 Head Bolts don't go into the water jacket. It is the end bolts on the exhaust ports that are leaking.
Use a high temp sealant.
I guess you did not bother to read this thread. Please look up post no10 I have no idea what year that block was, and it's now buried under "other stuff" in the garage

-
Back