Leaking thermostat housing, best gasket???

-
I use red RTV for all that type of surface sealing even on my XR500 Honda dirtbike cases.
You can't just smear it on something and expect it to seal though.
I am fairly precise about how and where it is used.

For a thermostat housing I clean both surfaces of foreign material, and apply a bead of the red RTV about an 8th inch wide right where the therostat and housing edges meet each other.
Then use my finger to smear it to about an quarter in wide and put it on.
I dont let the housing touch the intake as I line up and start the bolts and continue to hold the housing up as I run the bolts so that the silicon does not get smeared of the surfaces before it's lined up and makes contact with the intake.
Cinch her down lightly, fill and drive.
Been doing it this way for 35 years.

Comes out like this. (not even a hint of moisture)
I had to clean the crap out that manifold in the front because the guy I bought it from didn't know how to make it seal.

I've heard that no gasket and the red high temp RTV silicon works well, but there are several opinions on that matter. Do you by any chance have the chrome thermostat housing? I know those are prone to leaks.

Check your manifold to ensure that the mating surface is flat. If need be, scratch up the gasket mating surfaces a little bit, cover the gasket in the red RTV, and torque it down. That should resolve the leaking issue, if the housing itself is indeed flat.

Attachments

• DSCF0013.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 124
The blue **** blows.
The actual chemical makeup assumes one does not know how to use RTV and tries to make up for human stupidity with an expanding formula.

That **** sucks.

use an *ss ton of blue RTV. hahaha

Thanks!

Looks like O'Rilly should have it. I have to go to town today any way (some one crunched the front end of my Durango yesterday) to have my Durango looked at, so I will see if they have it.

Thanks!!

Look at the top of that page and click on where to buy

-
Back