lean burn ?s

-

CudaNewb

Reaction score
I am swapping a 318 into my /6 64 cuda, the 318 came out of a 78 LeBaron wagon and it has the Lean Burn package. What exactly do i need to change (remove) for the engine to make it "Non Lean-Burn"?

When you swap the engine into the B-Cuda, just use that ignition. Swap distributors around and lose the air cleaner with the computer on the side.
The Carb has one problem, no vaccum advance port. Tap a line to use for the distributor.
Finnaly, re-jet the carb to suite.

rumblefish360 said:
When you swap the engine into the B-Cuda, just use that ignition. Swap distributors around and lose the air cleaner with the computer on the side.
The Carb has one problem, no vaccum advance port. Tap a line to use for the distributor.
Finnaly, re-jet the carb to suite.
Actually its an A-Cuda, :yawinkle: When you say use "that" ignition, which are you referring to? The one off the /6?

Yes, all you need do is swap distributors and the slant six's ignition will do the rest.

Outstanding, thank you. Is there anything else smog related that I can do without, like the air pump etc? Sorry, I am a rookie when it comes to working on old cars.

I have only seen 1 and only 1 air pump before. Go figure...here in N.Y. with Ca. emmision laws. Not that long inforced though.....

I do not know what you can do as far as routing the belts once your minus the air pump. But if you can get around it, dump it!
Just discontrect the vaccum line to the EGR valve to render it INOP!

I'm gonna send you a PM. (Private message to speed this along for a second.

I do believe that the distributor is different. By far that is. And the lean burn distributor has dual pickups if memory serves correctly. The big question for you is do you want to run electronic ignition or points type.

Not all leanburn distributors are dual pick ups. Then it's a 50/50 on whhich pig tail to hook up.
No advance on a distrib. sucks when it comes to mileage.

But in a pinch leave it in till you get the right one. The six won't fit or ever work. If he's looking for the year correct single point dist I have one from my old 64 273. It even has the little oil cup still. But I myself for driveability and ease I'd run electronic.

Ahhhhhhhh, I just realized what I said.
I said swap distributors.
I ment to say, use the leanburns distributor with the /6 ignition.
Thanks 64Dartwagon.

(That was bad of me! Sorry Cudanewb.)

Thanks for the clarification, I had been scratching my head for a while trying to figure that out. :lol:

Yea sorry, I had a doppy moment there. I'm sure I had a few vets here saying, WTF is he talking about.......

No offense to anyone intended - The lean burn distributor will mate up with a non lean burn electronic ignition but Lean burn distributors have no advance mechanism in them mechanical or vacuum - it'll run like crud.

You will need either a points small block v8 or standard (non lean burn) distributor. If you go with electronic ignition you need the wiring harness, ignition box etc for that set up. Not sure what your original ignition was. If electronic (even if /6) its basically plug and play. If points pick up a standard point distributor to get the thing running. Myself and everyother small block guy probably has one laying around for cheap. When ready make the switch to electronic ignition - it just works better.

As far as the emissions stuff - dump it all. Make a heavy metal (1/4 " thick) plate to cover the egr valve position on the manifold and toss the rest out. Not sure if CA checks 64 model year cars for emissions, but the only emission controls that might have applied in 64 would have been a pcv valve and engine breather system. I would have a tough time thinking that a lean burn 318 is gonna generate much pollution anyway. We did the same conversion on our 87 gran fury with an older truck 2 bbl and electronic ignition. The car runs so smooth and quiet you'd think the cam is no lumpier than a broom stick.

Enjoy !

yeah strip all emmisoin crap off that thing leaving just water pump and altenator and power steering if the car has it. block off egr and just buy a new points type vacum advance dist from your local parts store or if it has already been converted to electronic buy one of those i think there onle 40 or 50 bucks for each

-
Back