Leaves in the Heating

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I keep finding leaves blow through my heating when I turn the fan on. Can anyone suggest a way to stop that from happening?

Don't turn the blower on.:arrow:

Just kidding:salute: If you close the vent door when parked,debris can't get into the duct,also close it when your washing the car to avoid getting water in the car:toothy5:

Sounds like it's time for The Dashboard Boogie! Drop the entire heater box and clean it out from one end to the other. You'll find all KINDS of cool treasures in there .................... :-D

Sounds like it's time for The Dashboard Boogie! Drop the entire heater box and clean it out from one end to the other. You'll find all KINDS of cool treasures in there .................... :-D
x2....take pictures of what you find and post them....

And stop parking under that F-in tree!!:toothy5:

Seriously, you need to keep the leaves cleaned off your car, and park in a direction that prevents more from getting in.
Plus...do the cleaning that Leanna suggested. Aroung my house, the culprits are pine needles...arrgh:angry2:

Take a hose and run it through the cowl vent with the heater out, or at least with the heater box door open, and the driver side vent too, (the carpet will get soaked if not removed). Make sure to clean out the drains that go from the top of the cowl out the sides, (near the top of the fenders).

Then park it in the hot sun, and finally, put on a pair of goggles and drive the thing around. Anything left will blow out all over the place and sun glasses don't cut it.

I had to do this a few times- full of pine needles when I got it.

Now I keep a cover for the cowl vent in the car, it is from the wife's wrecked Subaru Forester, it is the old rear bumper cover- it fits perfect, so well that it appears it was made for there, has the exact correct curve, length and width.
Best part, if I ever drive away with it on, it never falls off.

Yeah, pull the heater and dismantle it. Mark your cable connections so you can get them in the same place when you put it back together. You will probably find the heater core has a lot of debris plugging up the air passages especially near the bottom. A Scamp I had was plugged about a third the way up with pine needles. While you have the heater core out check for small leaks or corrosion too.
Reach up through where the heater joins the cowl and see if you can get any more junk out.

Leaves are easy; water or air into cowl grill, keep pushing a wire in and out of drains at rear of fender. Pine is harder, takes longer. You might be able to blow them out the lower manual air vents inside the car, if you have them.
Then have a magnetic sign shop cut one to fit over the grille.

Would it be better to use air to blow it out instead of water? The carpet stays dry unless you have some back up in the cowl area.

-
Back