LED 7" Round Headlamp Update

-
Reaction score
I've eyeballed a few new(ish)-on-the-market LED 7" headlamps, and one out of three of them gets a thumbs-up. That's the Philips H6024LED. It's made in Taiwan, rather nicely per my inspection, and it appears they picked one of the better beam specifications in the regulation to engineer/build to (which is what all the "Integral Beam" verbiage is about—there's like nineteen of us in the world who know what that phrase means; nobody else knows or cares, but I guess it sounded flashy to the marketers), rather than the lax old sealed beam standard. It produces a very wide, well-formed and -focused beam, and can readily be aimed visually, optically, or with the old-fashioned Hoppy-type sealed beam aimer that interfaces with the three lens pips. I might not go so far as to call it my favourite, but I don't think I'd find much to gripe about driving with these at night.

Next was the Peak 6024LED, which is marketed by the people behind Peak antifreeze (who have recently decided themselves into lighting people, too, in the manner of MBAs who consider it beneath them to know or care anything about what they're selling; to them it's all just "product"). I had no real hopes for this—and even so, it wound up disappointing me—because even just in the pics it was screaming to me that it's a pathetic joke. I wanted to scrutinise it anyhow, because it does look more like an olde-tyme sealed beam than any of the others. Uhhh…yeah, that's because clueless dillweeds in a trinket factory in China didn't bother with any decadent western running-pigdog capitalist ideas like involving an optical engineer or two; they just pasted the lens from a (cruddy Peak) halogen sealed beam onto a rinky-dink housing containing a thrown-together LED plate. That's not how any of this works; it's like I grabbed some rando's eyeglasses, which he got out of a Cracker Jacks box, and expected I'd be able to see with them. I'd describe it as "Mickey Mouse", but that would be a serious insult to Mr. Mouse and all he stands for. This lamp almost certainly does not merit its "DOT" marking, it is not aimable by any method, and its performance is terrible: a narrow, unfocused blob/cloud of light. Too much glare and backscatter, not enough seeing light…yuck. This dreck is worse than the equally-Chinese-and-shoddily-engineered Holley Retrobright. I sure as hell would not want to have to drive with these at night, and if it were a choice between these and a carefully-chosen set of regular sealed beams or good H4s, I'd pick the regular sealed beams or the good H4s, sure.

Then came Truck-Lite's newest, their 37270C "projector" unit. Made in America, with Truck-Lite's usual high build/materials quality, but poorly conceived and engineered. It produces a good, strong hot spot for distance light, but overall it puts out a thin stripe of light with no depth to it. The road surface will be poorly lit, making you feel like you're always driving into a black hole. I sure as all hell would not want to drive behind these in a big commercial vehicle (truck/bus) which is Truck-Lite's main market. They'd be somewhat less unpleasant to drive behind with a low mount height—think Porsche 911, Mazda Miata, that kind of thing—but not a whole lot less unpleasant, judging by the reaction of the guy at the link who reviewed them after trying them on a Miata (online "reviews" are usually crapola at best, but that particular guy apparently isn't an idiot or a bot). This lamp is a great illustration of the big gap between light drivers need for safety (which it provides plenty of) and the light drivers want for comfort (which this lamp is seriously deficient in). So thumbs-down on this one, but the previous Truck-Lite design, the 27270C mentioned below, is still a fine choice; it strikes a better balance between need-light and want-light (though I might very well pick the Philips item instead).

To make this post a one-stop resource, here's previously-posted, still valid advice on the subject:

If you want LEDs, be careful; there's a mountain of fraudulent/unsafe junk on the market, including all "LED bulbs" that fit in halogen headlamps (see here ) and a whole lot of toys shaped like whole sealed beam headlamps. But there are some good-to-excellent ones on the market, too. the Peterson 701C is pretty good, and so is the Truck-Lite 27270C. Probably the king daddy of them all is the JW Speaker 8700, which comes in black or chrome (and can be had with a heated lens to cope with winter slush/snow). All three of these are well made in America. There's a lot of lookalike copycat junk "recommended" when you look at these; ignore them. Super-poopy junk from NAPA, too; avoid it.

Whatever headlamps you wind up using, the most important thing about them is that they be aimed correctly.

Very nice, Dan! Thank you!

I've eyeballed a few new(ish)-on-the-market LED 7" headlamps, and one out of three of them gets a thumbs-up. That's the Philips H6024LED. It's made in Taiwan, rather nicely per my inspection, and it appears they picked one of the better beam specifications in the regulation to engineer/build to (which is what all the "Integral Beam" verbiage is about—there's like nineteen of us in the world who know what that phrase means; nobody else knows or cares, but I guess it sounded flashy to the marketers), rather than the lax old sealed beam standard. It produces a very wide, well-formed and -focused beam, and can readily be aimed visually, optically, or with the old-fashioned Hoppy-type sealed beam aimer that interfaces with the three lens pips. I might not go so far as to call it my favourite, but I don't think I'd find much to gripe about driving with these at night.

Next was the Peak 6024LED, which is marketed by the people behind Peak antifreeze (who have recently decided themselves into lighting people, too, in the manner of MBAs who consider it beneath them to know or care anything about what they're selling; to them it's all just "product"). I had no real hopes for this—and even so, it wound up disappointing me—because even just in the pics it was screaming to me that it's a pathetic joke. I wanted to scrutinise it anyhow, because it does look more like an olde-tyme sealed beam than any of the others. Uhhh…yeah, that's because clueless dillweeds in a trinket factory in China didn't bother with any decadent western running-pigdog capitalist ideas like involving an optical engineer or two; they just pasted the lens from a (cruddy Peak) halogen sealed beam onto a rinky-dink housing containing a thrown-together LED plate. That's not how any of this works; it's like I grabbed some rando's eyeglasses, which he got out of a Cracker Jacks box, and expected I'd be able to see with them. I'd describe it as "Mickey Mouse", but that would be a serious insult to Mr. Mouse and all he stands for. This lamp almost certainly does not merit its "DOT" marking, it is not aimable by any method, and its performance is terrible: a narrow, unfocused blob/cloud of light. Too much glare and backscatter, not enough seeing light…yuck. This dreck is worse than the equally-Chinese-and-shoddily-engineered Holley Retrobright. I sure as hell would not want to have to drive with these at night, and if it were a choice between these and a carefully-chosen set of regular sealed beams or good H4s, I'd pick the regular sealed beams or the good H4s, sure.

Then came Truck-Lite's newest, their 37270C "projector" unit. Made in America, with Truck-Lite's usual high build/materials quality, but poorly conceived and engineered. It produces a good, strong hot spot for distance light, but overall it puts out a thin stripe of light with no depth to it. The road surface will be poorly lit, making you feel like you're always driving into a black hole. I sure as all hell would not want to drive behind these in a big commercial vehicle (truck/bus) which is Truck-Lite's main market. They'd be somewhat less unpleasant to drive behind with a low mount height—think Porsche 911, Mazda Miata, that kind of thing—but not a whole lot less unpleasant, judging by the reaction of the guy at the link who reviewed them after trying them on a Miata (online "reviews" are usually crapola at best, but that particular guy apparently isn't an idiot or a bot). This lamp is a great illustration of the big gap between light drivers need for safety (which it provides plenty of) and the light drivers want for comfort (which this lamp is seriously deficient in). So thumbs-down on this one, but the previous Truck-Lite design, the 27270C mentioned below, is still a fine choice; it strikes a better balance between need-light and want-light (though I might very well pick the Philips item instead).

To make this post a one-stop resource, here's previously-posted, still valid advice on the subject:

If you want LEDs, be careful; there's a mountain of fraudulent/unsafe junk on the market, including all "LED bulbs" that fit in halogen headlamps (see here ) and a whole lot of toys shaped like whole sealed beam headlamps. But there are some good-to-excellent ones on the market, too. the Peterson 701C is pretty good, and so is the Truck-Lite 27270C. Probably the king daddy of them all is the JW Speaker 8700, which comes in black or chrome (and can be had with a heated lens to cope with winter slush/snow). All three of these are well made in America. There's a lot of lookalike copycat junk "recommended" when you look at these; ignore them. Super-poopy junk from NAPA, too; avoid it.

Whatever headlamps you wind up using, the most important thing about them is that they be aimed correctly.
Just a question, Dan. How "much better" would these be compared to a well installed pair of Cibie H4 conversions with good bulbs and the updated wiring harness with relays putting full alternator voltage to the headlights? Worth the change?

Thanks Dan. Your posts to me are huge!

Are Peak LED’s? Shows in the description that they’re Halogen.

IMG_5482.jpeg

Are Peak LED’s? Shows in the description that they’re Halogen.
They sell both kinds, in crap quality, but the ones I tested—and the ones in the screen cap you posted—are LED. I've been known to know the difference every now and then, a little around the edges.

redbeard.gif

Just a question, Dan. How "much better" would these be compared to a well installed pair of Cibie H4 conversions with good bulbs and the updated wiring harness with relays putting full alternator voltage to the headlights? Worth the change?
Totally up to you, depending on how much night driving you do, whether it's mostly in-town with lots of streetlights or in a higher-demand situation, and how happy you are with your present setup.

Totally up to you, depending on how much night driving you do, whether it's mostly in-town with lots of streetlights or in a higher-demand situation, and how happy you are with your present setup.
Well, I'm a big Cibie fan, so they're gonna stay put. lol Thanks, Dan! Hope you and yours are well!

I've eyeballed a few new(ish)-on-the-market LED 7" headlamps, and one out of three of them gets a thumbs-up. That's the Philips H6024LED. […] It produces a very wide, well-formed and -focused beam, and can readily be aimed visually, optically, or with the old-fashioned Hoppy-type sealed beam aimer that interfaces with the three lens pips. I might not go so far as to call it my favourite, but I don't think I'd find much to gripe about driving with these at night.

…and now I've got the results back from more formal beam evaluation, this lamp does move into first place on my list of LED 7" round headlamps.

…and now I've got the results back from more formal beam evaluation, this lamp does move into first place on my list of LED 7" round headlamps.
.....but they're so FUGLY when they aren't burning. I just caint get over it.

So even better light than the JW Speaker 8700’s? Impressive. I have the JW speakers in my Duster and they’re pretty awesome.

:lol:
I wanted to see pictures of his Duster with them.

Should I say boombox…
Well I caint help you there, but here's my beautimous headlamp. Sho nuff Cibie H4 goodness. Us southern boys pronounce um "Seebee", but it's French according to Dan and pronounced "Seebeeyay" If I remember correctly.
GLADYS CIBIE.jpg

That looks sorta stock. Looks good.
Thanks. That's why I like it. Nowhere near the expense of the LED, but it puts out comparable light. Especially with the relay harness so they get direct alternator voltage.

Dang it, I'm old, so really like new LED brightness, but I like the look old fashioned stock gridded glass headlights...may just go with 'I love the nostalgia of being barely able to see at night, and the way it's all dim and yellow'.

Dang it, I'm old, so really like new LED brightness, but I like the look old fashioned stock gridded glass headlights...may just go with 'I love the nostalgia of being barely able to see at night, and the way it's all dim and yellow'.
Then you should look into the H4 headlamp upgrade like I did in post #16.

Those Cibies weren't California approved when I had them in my 4x4 Yota, and a CHP officer made sure I knew it with a "fix it ticket" :lol: Of course they were good in ALL the other 49 states :rofl:

Those Cibies weren't California approved when I had them in my 4x4 Yota, and a CHP officer made sure I knew it with a "fix it ticket" :lol: Of course they were good in ALL the other 49 states :rofl:
They're still not DOT approved. Though they should be.

-
Back