LED Garage / Shop Lights?

-
Agreed, this is great, I have a few 8' lights in my garage now and thought I'd have to replace them completely. It looks like I can just retrofit them with 4 LED bulbs and eliminate the ballasts.

There are 2 kinds of "tombstones" , depending on if you have bulbs that only need power on one end or both. I prefer the non shunted ones which only need power to one end, wire all 4 bulbs from center of fixture to make it easy. Call the Pro guys, they were great and the first guys that actually knew what I was talking about. If you dont remove ballast then you use more power as they burn power even with no bulbs. LED are brighter on line voltage too. Sure beat buying new fixtures at $50 ea!!!

Here is my shop with three pairs of the lights that Joey told us about in the first post. It is a huge difference from what I had before. The picture does not do it justice. The shop has a 12' ceiling and the light is still very bright. I like the color too. I can SEE!

SHOP LIGHTS.jpg

I picked up some cheap lights from the local big box hadware store. 3800 lumens, 4 footers, for $26 each. Big difference, much brighter, and lighter in weight. Will eventually replace all lights with them. I'm very impressed so far.

How are the leds with vibration? I live about 3 miles from a coal mine and cannot keep lights in the shop.
I would bet that they are immune to that type of vibration. They don't have a fragile hot wire "filament" like normal light bulbs do.

I just bought a 2-pack box of led direct replacement for the old bulbs for 17.99 at Costco. No mods needed, plug and play.
The price is finally getting competitive on these

I just bought a 2-pack box of led direct replacement for the old bulbs for 17.99 at Costco. No mods needed, plug and play.
I gave 8' 2 tube lights in my shop. Bought 8' led tubes on Ebay. $11 ea. single pin tubes. Just remone the ballast and rewire the pos to one end. Nutral to other end and done. 100* improjement.

What I don't like about the "direct" bulbs is that you are leaving the ballast on the table which can AND DO fail. Then what? You get to spend more money on a replacement ballast.

If I was replacing tubes, I'd want to rewire (which takes only seconds IE "a couple of minutes" ) and dump the ballast

What I don't like about the "direct" bulbs is that you are leaving the ballast on the table which can AND DO fail. Then what? You get to spend more money on a replacement ballast.

If I was replacing tubes, I'd want to rewire (which takes only seconds IE "a couple of minutes" ) and dump the ballast
I agree.......dump the ballast. That's what I did.

Over the winter I replaced a failed fluorescent unit with an LED light and love it. My local Rural King had them on sale for $30 each (the complete light assy. not just the bulbs) and I bought 2. Another nice thing is it doesn't have to warm up for several minutes like fluorescent bulbs do. My eyes aren't the greatest so I need all the light I can get and man is this thing bright.

The lights I was spending $26 on, have been reduced to $20.

Update, the plug and play led's overheat the ballast and it " times out"
So...........I found a GREAT deal on www.greenlightdepot.com
Their price is $4.99 each and pretty much a flat rate shipping. I ordered ten and you can fit more than that in the same box. Ripped out the ballast, pugged em in and couldn't be happier.

I recently had four UV lights in my garage replaced with LED units from SAMS club.

They are more focused than the old UV lights. They are brighter in the area directly below them but make a shadow as you go out away from the light to the walls

They did make the electric bill go down a bit. I know for a fact LEDs reduce the electric bill because I proved that around Christmas last year when I replaced all my Christmas lights with LEDs.

I recently had four UV lights in my garage replaced with LED units from SAMS club.

They are more focused than the old UV lights. They are brighter in the area directly below them but make a shadow as you go out away from the light to the walls

They did make the electric bill go down a bit. I know for a fact LEDs reduce the electric bill because I proved that around Christmas last year when I replaced all my Christmas lights with LEDs.
I just got around to reading these posts. Question, can the lead bulbs be mixed w/ the traditional 4 ft. flourecent ?

I changed my light from flourecent to LED about 6 months ago. What a difference! A lot more light, no flickering and hard starting in the AM, I'd recommend the change

[/QUOTE]

Over the winter I replaced a failed fluorescent unit with an LED light and love it. My local Rural King had them on sale for $30 each (the complete light assy. not just the bulbs) and I bought 2. Another nice thing is it doesn't have to warm up for several minutes like fluorescent bulbs do. My eyes aren't the greatest so I need all the light I can get and man is this thing bright.
For anyone looking to upgrade their shop lighting to LED, I just got an email from Rural King stating that they currently have their 4’ LED (4500 lumens) on sale for $24.99. They olso have free shipping on any order over $99 so if you don’t have a Rural King nearby, you can order them online.

If you have a Rural King, they have single 4' fixtures for about $18 and 3000 lumen dual 4" for $26.

I have a single and a double but haven't installed them yet.

I did try the phillips brand fluorescent fixture replacement tube, and it did NOT work.

-
Back