LED Headlights

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
Ive noticed a lot of the early 60's mustangs out here are getting the headlights converted to the led oval type headlights. They have an outside ring on which I assume is the park light or low beam not sure. I haven't seen one at night yet. How do we get our cars to upgrade to something like this, mine are beyond dim at night.

Put an HID kit in Jake's 65 when we built it... another member local to us had seen it at night and says they are much better than the LED's he has in his Dart, so now he wants HID's instead....

I too bought some 7 inch round fixtures from ebay for my 67 fish. Upgraded the wiring, added relays, got plenty of light. A few years later, when washing the car put water in one of those fixtures, I found the rubber weather boot on them was made of dodo. I bought another entire set of fixtures for the replacement boots only. Just a matter of time before I will need to find a better solution. My advise.., just buy the brightest 7 inch round sealed beam they make. Of course the wiring upgrade would still be necessary to get all the light that any bulb can provide.

Another great alternative (I have these) is to get European head light lenses that accept modern halogen replaceable bulbs. Just don't go wild on the wattage, or you'll need to upgrade the wiring.
LED headlights are not being used by any of the major car manufacturers yet. IMHO the aftermarket stuff is basically junk and if you want to see at night stick with proven technology.

Start with a headlight relay kit from our member crackedback (Rob) and then see if you still need newer style bulbs.
I think the ring you are referring to is a headlight halo kit.
All it is, is a ring of LED lighting around the bulb.

HO, H-4s, with 65 lows,in M/C reflectors, on relays, works for me..I can't recall the hi wattage. I wanna say 135s but that doesn't sound logical. I keep a close watch on their aim, cuz M/C reflectors don't have the side-shift on low,that auto reflectors do. Or at least not as much.I hate being blinded by oncoming headlamps at night and so try not to blind others, either. I rarely drive at night, but when I do;these Halogens are nice.
I used to have some auxiliary halogen driving lights, hanging below the bumper. But with my lowered ride height, they became illegal in MB, so rather than raise them above the bumper(which in my opinion is ugly), I removed them. I had them aimed left and right somewhat towards the ditches, for wildlife damage control.(I live in deer-country). But like I said, I don't drive after dark much anymore.
Yeah so, hi-powered H-4s, on relays, are a pretty good deal.

-
Back