Left hand studs

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just finished cleaning up a set of Kelsey Hayes rotors. I blasted them and painted them. Then I blasted the lugnuts. I never noticed before, but the left hand nuts have L E F T stamped on them.

Just a tidbit of useless info you didn’t really need to know or care about!

7462D9F9-464B-44A3-A46F-E2E5CF7C9253.jpeg

CCE23B62-EE0E-4FC4-B75D-C6B7CBD6EAD8.jpeg

Looks like they do on those whatever company manufactured them., but not necessarily ALL left hand nuts that your going to encounter on 70 and earlier cars.
As a matter of fact i just removed some lefties on a car at the Pick-N-Pull Monday morning, and they have a faint "ring" grove machined into the head face to identify it as a leftie, if your paying attention.
Others might just have a "L" or nothing at all.
But in all my years i never have seen one completely lettered out like that.
Good to find that out.

I just remember the factory ones having the ring or the L on them. I too think they are aftermarket.

As many of these as I've worked on, all I've ever seen is an L stamped on them. Never the whole word. That's cool.

Well the rest of my collection varies. Obviously the prior Kelsey Hayes were 7/16”. The rest are as follows. Apparently they were totally random and perhaps as mentioned, aftermarket. Now I might have thought it was a Canadian thing, but the first ones I discovered I think are from a set I bought from badlilred. So those came from the U.S. Also the L E F T is different on both sets. The latter are actually together like a word vs separated. Hmmmmm, useless tidbits! :)

My L E F T are 1/2”.

2F9E1289-C952-4822-9D48-80E8F6CAF4EE.jpeg

The ring is both 1/2” & 7/16”.

36BCAB91-CC51-4265-B65B-DA3D8ED8CC4F.jpeg

The plain are 1/2”.

CCC6FA4F-862E-4D79-9BA6-1FFCF171EFFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting.
I remember seeing a ''L'' stamped into the end of the stud itself and a single ''L'' on the lug nut and a copper color on the nut and stud, but i haven't ever seen a full stamped ''LEFT'' in the nuts themselves.
Now you have me thinking...............

-
Back