Legend of the 340

-
I had a guy come up to me one time in a parking lot when I was going out to my Dart. Started taling about his 350 Camero and how he pulled it and put a 396 in it. Said around the same time his friend got him a 340 Dart. They raced and he said that dang show room stock 340 smoked on him.

I've had both 340 and 360. Both good motors. My 1972 Duster 340 runs every bit a well as my 69 GTS Dart 340. Neither motor has any work done on them pretty much bone stock from Mopar. A buddy of mine has a 74 Duster with the 360 and it runs pretty darn hard.

Thats interesting because I have two fairly stock 73 340's one is in a roadrunner (heavy) and they run real hard. I think the 72 up 340's get a bad rap because of the net (not gross) HP rating..

My big ol 73 RR 340 would give my old 383 stroker chevelle a run for its money if not beat it..

Plus I used to have a 73 rr with a 400 and the 340 car handles like its on rails compared to the big block version and the 340 is much faster then I could ever get the 400 to go..

As the fella with the chebbie found out, it ain't legend. It's FACT. ...and the thing is, an equally prepared 318 in the same Dart that 340 was in might do the same thing to that chebbie. LMAO

My 68 fish had a 340 in it when I bought it from my friend's widow. Car was basically a 8.50 in the 1/8th. Used to have a 360 and it was faster with it. Now running 7.25 with a 416 but I still have the 340 and that 360. If you think 340s run good, put in a longer crank and better flowing heads on and see the difference.

My dad's buddy special ordered a Duster 340 in 1970. It was B5 with the blue bench seat interior and auto on the column. At that time, the 340 Duster was a sleeper. That stock 340 car wasted many 396's and even some big block Ford's. After a short time, nobody would run that car. At the same time, another guy agreed to special order a Nova with a 350. It did not take long for him to back out on wanting to race the Duster.

The 340 is a legend but with today's technology, an equally prepped 318 or 360 can run every bit as good or better.

340 duster vs 350 nova vs. 351 mustang.....duster comes out on top time after time all with similar gears and automatics! Mopar suspension was definently ahead of the game imo even with those dinky tires they managed to hook a bit. Now my question is: IF THE FACTORY 340 RATING WAS 275, WHAT WAS THE "ACTUAL" hp/tq rating of the 68-71 340???

If Everyone Knows How Bad A 340 Is Then Tell Me Why Dosen't Anyone Want To Buy The One I Have For Sale? 1969 Born Date .040 Over Balanced And A Sweet Runner With Less Than 2500 Miles On It. Somebody Educate Me Please. Steve

I'm sure there are plenty of people,including myself,that would love to buy your motor. Problem is called money,or the extreme lack there of. (At least in my case) I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I still have my job,and a good one at that,but the cost of living has gone up to a point,that I don't have the play money I use to have. By the way,I grew up in the 60's/70's. We called the 340 a-body cars "Giant Killers".If I remember correctly,the 275 horse 340's,were re-rated to 325 by NHRA. Put that much hp out of a short stroke motor,in a 3000 lb car and see what you get. More than most big block 4000 lb cars could handle.

i think Dulcich rebuilt a 340 to stock specs and it dynoed(did i spell that right?) 281.
blaming a poorly refurbished carb they replaced it with a new 800 edelbrock and hp jumped to 318.
a local racer has built many hi hp engines that are not as fast in the quarter mile as some of his lower hp engines.
it all has to match.... torque,weight distibution,rev capability,wheelbase,gears etc.

Out of curiosity how do guys feel a 87 Buick Grand National (GNX) would fair against a 340 A-Body.

The GNX would destory the 340 (watched it happen in 2003 in Oakland, CA).
Watch them both stage, hands dropped, the GNX (200R4 with 3.42 posi 8.5 rearend) hooked and went. The 71 340 Demon (4 sp and 3.91 suregrip 8.75) spun tires for 60 ft or so and was left. Demon lost by 3 car lengths. Both cars were in stock form/build. Watched them race again 5 minutes later after the GNX guy told him to stop spinning the tires and give him a real race. This time the Demon still lost but only by ~1 car length.

Out of curiosity how do guys feel a 87 Buick Grand National (GNX) would fair against a 340 A-Body.

547 special Buick GN's were built into GNX's. How many 340 cars out there?
When I had my 87 GN, it was a very fun car to drive, handled well from the factory. 4-speed automatic along with fuel injection & a TURBO! I don't really see a comparison here. Almost 20 years of technology ahead of a 69 340 car.
A GNX would spank a 340 car if you had two good drivers with out a doubt. Power brake the GNX & get the turbo wound up & off it would go.

I still love my 340 cars!!!!

A stock GNX on the 1/4 does around 13.5 and weighs in at 3472lbs from factory and I've seen some stock 340s with proper tires on the back do the quarter around 13.78 and we know some A bodies from factory weigh in at 3000lbs. I still think these two cars would make for a really good close race, sure driver and reaction time would be a major factor.

This is a great thread and want to add a great story also. I am 54 and and I was 16 in 74 and did a lot of street racing in those days with a buddy who's dad owned a small car lot. During those days, it was right after the fuel embargo and people were dumping their late sixty's car for pinto's and Vega's in an effort to save gas. My buddy had use of a dealer tag and would change cars every week or so depending on what his dad picked up at the dealer or auction. I bought my first car from his dad when I was 18, 70 340 duster, 4 speed with 391 sure grip. Of all the car I remember him driving the faster one's were 1969 GTO ,400 four speed, 1968 AMX 390, 4 speed and a few dogs that he returned to his dad's lot as fast as possible were 1969 GTX, and a 1968 442 both 4 speed cars. The GTO was a beast, and to this day have a soft spot for 68. 69 GTO's. In the street wars on Friday night it was unbeaten and was stock except for the alum, slots. Now, he knew better to jump on anything that was not close to stock. One of those races I remember was a 70 Road runner from the high school we went to. The GTO ripped him a new one to the tune of about 4 car lengths by third gear. the only car that was stock or close, that ever beat that GTO was a 1969 Dart GTS 340, 4 speed. white car with red interior. The list of cars that GTO chew up and spit out was a mile long. The streak ended with a nasty little 340 car! The GTO was long gone by the time I had a decent paying job and could buy a car, I started saving my money and watching his dad's car lot waiting for a good car. A trade in at the local dealership his dad pick-up my first car, 1970 duster 340. b3 blue with b5 interior 4 speed. You see, I remembered that GTS knocking off one of the kings of local street racing.....

In 68 bought a new cuda-s with a 383 . Now have a 67 with a 70's 340 in it . This 340 would blow the doors off of the 383, easy.

Attachments

• DSCF1132 (640x480).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCF1393 (640x480).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 201
I had a 72 340 4spd Demon w/ 323 open rear. Was the 3rd owner. had hooker headers on it and it was really quick. I pancaked the headers and threw the factory manifolds back on. One summer day in 89 my ex wife and I were coming home from seeing my mom and we driving down this 2 lane one way street in Reading PA. I hear this engine revving up way behind us and I look in the rearview and see a 69 Chevelle fishtailling up the street ans a 69 Camaro behind it. The Camaro pulls up next to me and revs it up. I look at the 396 on the fenders and think that we're toast. My car was bone stock down to the Thermoquad. I look over at the wife- she says "go for it". We take off from the stop sign and I shift once and I'm heading for redline at almost 65 mph in second. No Camaro... He was spinning while I'm hooking. Sweet! We go for it again! Same scenario. Now , he's pissed. He's reving the 396 to the moon. We take off again. 3rd times a charm. 3 losses from a stock 340!
Later that eveing, I went cruising with my neighbor who was/ is an bigtime bowtie fan. He has 68 Camaro with a built 327 350 turbo and 411 gears. We line up at a 2 lane that runs for a bit over a 1/4 mile and goes back into a single lane. I spanked him hard the 1st time by about 3 lenghts and he naturally wanted a rematch. Line up again and I held him off by a fender and a half but he WAS pulling. 2 Camaros down for the day - On the way home, I see a 75-78 Camaro on the highway going home. I'm feeling really cocky by now so I pull up going about 45. I stab the gas to "bunny hop" the front end he takes the bait, I pull it down into 2nd gear and don't let up until I'm way into 3rd. I don't even see headlights.... Well- that's my 15 min of glorified 340 fame!
Sure miss that Demon- not the ex.

Went to pomona today to sell my duster, A friend of mine took his 1968 ss 396 4 speed camaro. All day people would walk around my car to drool over his #'s matching camaro only to look at my car afterwards. On our way home I pulled up next to him and he asked is that thing fast? I said no not really... The light turned green and he got the jump I pedalled the car through most of first the car finally hooked clicked second in a short time we are side by side now were moving! the next light is green I click third, Now I'm walking by him I lift ,Coast on the brakes next light is red. I asked " did you miss a shift? " I got No! and the finger :) That made my day.

Joe

-
Back