Legendary- not exactly

-

matthon

Reaction score
A bit of a rant here.
Installed my new seat covers on my non-a-body 64 Fury wagon.
Called to order, according to them wagon and 4 door are the same rear seat covers, although I questioned it multiple times.
After a long wait, no big deal, did the rear seat this weekend - not even close.
No other suppliers, already had them, modified as best I could, took hours.
Disappointed nonetheless with the fitment, pleased with my first time work.

First pic is original top, cover is tapered in, 2 pieces folding over each other, metal rods on both sides to anchor hog rings, and had no back material. Theirs was straight down with full back no provisions for rods.
Second pic is bottom, old vs new, s/b tapered as well, plus cutouts for rear mounts in wrong places.

You suck Legendary. I don't think they even make their own stuff.
Also, compared to factory methods, their installation kits suck.
Giant piece of foam for seat bottom? No, s/b cotton like seat back. Had to run strip of burlap along it to keep hog rings from ripping thru. And no way to anchor sides of seat bottom, really?
Factory used 2 pieces of burlap with tiny metal rods between, followed by cotton sewn between 2 layers of burlap - plus the covers fit the frames.
Can't forget their videos suck too. The guy doing the work should do the talking, and they do the burlap on the bottom, then the top, then back to the bottom for foam, then back to top, back to bottom, etc. How many seats can or should a diy'er do at the same time?

BTW, my Barracuda front split bench seat cover fit perfect. I wonder what years/makes/models are correct.

Can't wait to do the front seat.

20180721_152023.jpg

20180722_140243.jpg

20180722_162126.jpg

in spite of your troubles, they look pretty good. one question: it looks like the original seat cover had silver mylar beading between insert panels and bolsters, but new covers don't have them? I think that is part of the 64 silver anniversary commemoration upholstery design, no?

I'm not sure, I have not heard of the silver anniversary.
Is silver mylar beading the same as silver tinsel accent welt?
Because per Legendary description below, they don't have that either.

UPHOLSTERY FEATURES AS-ORIGINAL 1/16 RIB GRAIN INSERTS WITH HEAT SEALED CHROME ACCENT BAND, SILVER TINSEL ACCENT WELT

I spent 450 bucks on a pair of charger high back bucket seat covers and the headrest stitching was so rippled no amount of heat will fix it. there was also the wrong width bolster rod retaining material sewn in which I had to modify with coat hanger. I was disappointed , but at least I was able to make it work. I had to remind myself that at least I was able to get the covers in the first place. btw , yours look pretty damn good.

I'm not sure, I have not heard of the silver anniversary.
Is silver mylar beading the same as silver tinsel accent welt?
Because per Legendary description below, they don't have that either.

UPHOLSTERY FEATURES AS-ORIGINAL 1/16 RIB GRAIN INSERTS WITH HEAT SEALED CHROME ACCENT BAND, SILVER TINSEL ACCENT WELT
maybe that was a Dodge anniversary, not a Plymouth thing in '64. It was silver beading and a silver embossed Dodge Fratzog on the seat backs.

I spent 450 bucks on a pair of charger high back bucket seat covers and the headrest stitching was so rippled no amount of heat will fix it. there was also the wrong width bolster rod retaining material sewn in which I had to modify with coat hanger. I was disappointed , but at least I was able to make it work. I had to remind myself that at least I was able to get the covers in the first place. btw , yours look pretty damn good.
Similar deal here....back seat back for my '67 Dart 'vert had to be completely disassembled and resewn so the upholstery would take on the concave shape of the seat. called Legendary on it...they said send the whole seat to them to install (said my shop doesn't know what its doing....HA!)...can you imagine what shipping a seat back from Canada to them ( and, most likely back) would cost? Cost me $1200 to have it installed up here....not impressed.

I've used them several times.
For the more common cars no issues on them.
Let's face the fact that we might be doing some pretty odd wad cars with rare interiors.
(Yea me too)

It sounds like they could have listened to you better.
No surprise there.
It comes from knowing everything (Sarcasm)

They get an A from me on product in general.
And a D on customer service.
That might be because they have no real competition in what they provide.
That might be because they have to deal with some real moron anal concourse owners.
Or both.

I've used them several times.
For the more common cars no issues on them.
Let's face the fact that we might be doing some pretty odd wad cars with rare interiors.
(Yea me too)

It sounds like they could have listened to you better.
No surprise there.
It comes from knowing everything (Sarcasm)

They get an A from me on product in general.
And a D on customer service.
That might be because they have no real competition in what they provide.
That might be because they have to deal with some real moron anal concourse owners.
Or both.
agreed, BUT they shouldn't purport to have the real deal. My friend had a low miles 71 Challenger w. gold colored vinyl interior, and he wanted to freshen up the front seats. The color was several shades off, the "pebble grain" was different, and some of the other detail stuff mentioned by OP. I know he went round and round, back and forth with them. I don't know if it ever got it resolved to his satisfaction.

I bought seat covers for my Duster and they were amazing. I also bought a rear package tray and it is also top notch. I mean really nice!

I special ordered covers for a 66 Barracuda but in the 65 blue color for my wagon - yes, I am using 66 Barracuda front and rear seats in my 65 Dart wagon! The rear bottom and seat back covers fit perfectly. I’m hoping the fronts (with new foam) fit and look as good whenever I get done with them. Oh, and I ordered a 68 B Body buddy seat (folddown armrest) in the same 65 blue as a special order - also fit perfectly. I satisfied 100%; your results may vary (and looks like they do!)

Have you mentioned this to them?

They had the Gator top material I needed for my 1970 4-door Sport Satellite but no pattern to make it from.

So after several emails back & forth, I made a pattern & sent it to them to use & I was able to get the top I needed & now others can too.

You may be able to send your old cover in so they can duplicate it?

sorry to hear this, mine were spot on and I'm happy

agreed, BUT they shouldn't purport to have the real deal. My friend had a low miles 71 Challenger w. gold colored vinyl interior, and he wanted to freshen up the front seats. The color was several shades off, the "pebble grain" was different, and some of the other detail stuff mentioned by OP. I know he went round and round, back and forth with them. I don't know if it ever got it resolved to his satisfaction.

those side bolsters look horrible in post #1 Wayyyyyy too small. the welt should go to the sides of the seat. I'd send them back with some pictures even the ones you took on here could work. Or have them send you a yard of matching vinyl and have a good trim shop match your older pattern, as for the silver welt I've seen rolls of it somewhere so it's available but it's be a custom order.

On the shade variation it's common to have different shades, unless it's on the same batch lot. I help cutting out vinyl patterns and carpet for 60's lincolns and know that the boss has a ***** of a time matching vinyl to leather to Windlace and welt. We end up spraying dye on 50% of the vinyl to bring the shade into a match (or close) with the leather/welt/Windlace combo. and unless you go to SMS fabric (IF they have it available) and get NOS vinyl you won't get the exact grain since they don't make it anymore. Colonial or Sierra grain isn't the same today as it was even 20 years ago.

here we had to match the heel pad to the carpet.
20180627_132145.jpg

here we were matching a welting on to the original color that had the same color code. but the 2 different color batches drove the customer crazy and we were able to find a batch that actually worked.
20180619_173659.jpg

And to make matters worse .try this combo. red ostrich and gator(that set is going to India) so no leather here. It was a complete set of seat covers carpet,door panels and Windlace. Talkabout headache making the pattern to match.
20180524_161443.jpg

-
Back