Let’s hear a 340 story

-
Something I didn’t post was when I started street racing my duster in 1975 headers were illegal in Pa. but we were getting close to being legal. Many over the guys I was going up against already installed them knowing it was coming. In my near stockish form it didn’t hurt my combo but a lot of guys weren’t stock. I still had a near perfect record except for the back and forth races with my Freeport friend in the blue Camero. But soon I gave in and it was time for John and his friends to become outlaws too. Off to Summit we went and for around 59.00 came home with Blackjack headers. I think install day was the day I learned how to swear. My Dad had electrical tools, not mechanical tools. So I grab some of my 2.45 hour wage and went to Klingensmiths Hardware to buy a set S&K openend wrenches. Dads Cresent although nice didn’t work to well with header bolds that were sunken in the header tubes (damn mother Mopar). Shortly after that when I had the cash it was 3/8 then 1/2 then 1/4 S&K ratchet sets. The hook was set and racing was reeling me in.

I always liked SK tools. They never had near the advertising and hype Snap On and the rest had, but the quality was top notch. The rep we had only had a one ton Ford van, solid white and unmarked. The only money spent was on quality tools. They still make SK tools, but I don't know if they are made in USA anymore or if the quality is as good. Our auto shop instructor in school had a very expansive Proto tool set. It was one of his personal sets, but it was what he furnished for the students to use in his classes. He had a very strict check out system using trusted students for tool room duty each week. You were initialed a round chip with a corresponding number on it to the tool(s) you got and the chip got hung on the board where the tool was. The tool room guy knew exactly who had what. I don't remember any tools ever going missing.......but we all had too much respect for Mr. Lovett to ever do anything like that. He was a good old dude.

I always liked SK tools. They never had near the advertising and hype Snap On and the rest had, but the quality was top notch. The rep we had only had a one ton Ford van, solid white and unmarked. The only money spent was on quality tools. They still make SK tools, but I don't know if they are made in USA anymore or if the quality is as good. Our auto shop instructor in school had a very expansive Proto tool set. It was one of his personal sets, but it was what he furnished for the students to use in his classes. He had a very strict check out system using trusted students for tool room duty each week. You were initialed a round chip with a corresponding number on it to the tool(s) you got and the chip got hung on the board where the tool was. The tool room guy knew exactly who had what. I don't remember any tools ever going missing.......but we all had too much respect for Mr. Lovett to ever do anything like that. He was a good old dude.

I got some warranty work (a new ratchet) because they didn’t have a rebuild kit. I’ve also exchanged some sockets. Not bad for a purchase made in the 1970’s. We used Snap-on in the steel mill but they were very crude. They knew pipes were going to be applied and hammers used. Our biggest air impact was 2 1/2 inch drive and 4 5/8 sockets that were operated by two guys and lowered into positions with a crane. Talking about getting the crap beat out of your hands.

The S-K sockets I have were my dad's, from the 40s probably, very well made.

A pre El Paso, Tx, Dyer St. Story from high school.

1969 the 69 Z28 just got me all kind of excited. Made a deal with my dad to let me buy one with my own lawn mower. hay bale and bean walking money. I was 15 at the time and a sophomore. After I hit 16 I could buy my dream car was the deal.
In the mean time as I'm aging, a rich *** hole junior's, dad bought him the exact Z28 I lusted after. He had it for a couple months and totaled it. His dad buying it for him and him wrecking it took away all my desire to ever own a Z28.
We had a pair of 49 Plymouths that I drove all thru high school. Use to turn them any way but loose. Lol
I later bought a 55 2 door hard top chevy that had had a 301 in it be for I got it. It had a tilt frontend.
Do you know the differance between a 301 and a 302 chevy?
Funny but my step son has a redone black 69 Z with a unoriginal 302 in it.
A friend of mine sold a numbers car with a 4-speed 302 Z28 dual quads for 10 grand back in the 80s, when I built my 383 for my 68 Coronet with the 4spd ( tears, miss her the most) he told me that car would have gave his a run for the money even drove it at the street drags we had out here across Grandy bridge going into St Pete

I got some warranty work (a new ratchet) because they didn’t have a rebuild kit. I’ve also exchanged some sockets. Not bad for a purchase made in the 1970’s. We used Snap-on in the steel mill but they were very crude. They knew pipes were going to be applied and hammers used. Our biggest air impact was 2 1/2 inch drive and 4 5/8 sockets that were operated by two guys and lowered into positions with a crane. Talking about getting the crap beat out of your hands.
Thank all you guys for your hard work it's a shame since NAFTA went into effect over 230 foundries were closed in the United States, one reason we kicked everyone's *** in World War 2 because we could produce the most steel the fastest also the hearts of the Men and the women back here that Fought and Worked for our Freedom Having our steel mills is important and it sucks that they've been closing been going on for a long time

Last edited:
I picked some old Indestros? Sp?. From a neighbor his wife passed away and his family was moving him out of the house either into their house or probably in a nursing home and liquidating all of his stuff he was sitting there on the front porch instead of buying them from his family I walked up talk to him in person

Thank all you guys for your hard work it's a shame since NAFTA went into effect over 230 foundries were closed in the United States, one reason we kicked everyone's *** in World War 2 because we could produce the most steel the fastest also the hearts of the Men and the women back here that Fought and Worked for our Freedom Having our steel mills is important and it sucks that they've been closing been going on for a long time

when my Dad left to fight in World War II my mom went to work in the steel mill that I worked at for 33 years. (These women were tough) When I was going to School in the early 1960’s we had nuclear bomb drills which we were herded into the janitors room in the basement. We had yearly movies on nuclear bombs where it was explained to us that Pittsburgh was on the number 1 target chart for bombing because of our steel mills in the Pittsburgh area. Then they went on to say the we were within the 25 mile blast area and we would be taken out on the first hit. Now where’s my therapy dog. Lol incinerated within seconds.

Another 340 Charger story. lol I said I had more.

I worked at the Burger King and a junkyard when I was a kid in school. The crowd I hung with in school was always hangin somewhere on the weekends. Usually on the street in the neighborhood of one of my friends. This time, it was out in front of Jeff and Doug Clark's house in a small neighborhood across from the grammar school pretty much all of us went to.

Anyway, there's always this one uncool neighbor that hates all things hot rod and this neighborhood was no exception. All the kids were actually right out in front of his house. LOL This guy's name was Robert Kraudus. Kraudus was always dickin about loud mufflers, spinnin tires and whatnot and just generally hated anybody with a hot rod. ...and nobody DARED to smoke tires in front of Kraudus' house. Course you know what that meant.

I knew where they were gonna be as Kirk had told me that Friday at school. I got off work about 1 am and drove over there. There was probably like 25 or 30 kids standin in the street when I got there. Soon as I pull up, Kirk, Doug, Jeff and Mitty all come runnin up to the car. Kirk says "dude Kraudus is home this weekend. You gotta smoke um down". Course, I was always willin to oblige and that car would ROAST the right rear purt near till you let off the gas. So I started brake standin it right in the middle of the street dead in front of Kraudus' driveway. By the time I let out, I was probably ten houses down the street and the whole neighborhood was smoked up.

So, the next mornin I went to Kirk's house like I pretty much always did. Kirk, Mitty, Jeff and Doug were all out back while Kirk was wrenchin on his awesome 67 442 with a 425 and 4 speed. So I get out and go in the backyard. Mitty looks at me and says "Kraudus went down this mornin and swore out a warrant for your arrest". lol

Now, at this particular time.....about 1981, my uncle was Deputy Chief of police in Macon. He was past retirement age, but still with the department. So I get home and call him. Soon as he hears it's me he starts laughin and says "don't worry about it, I already took care of it". lol He heard it on the scanner and made a phone call.

So that followin Monday me and Kirk ride by Kraudus' house to check out the mark. Of course there was Kraudus standin in the driveway when we slowly cruised by. He just stared at us and Kirk waved. lol We never did measure the mark, but it went at least ten houses worth. Down the hill and around the corner. lol It was there for a WHILE.

Its funny when I have people tell me I'm not running my 340 hard enough. They all know someone who used to bang shift theirs at 8000rpm. I've run mine up to 6800 in real mild weather for a glory timeslip. Most of the time its 5800-6200.

Its funny when I have people tell me I'm not running my 340 hard enough. They all know someone who used to bang shift theirs at 8000rpm. I've run mine up to 6800 in real mild weather for a glory timeslip. Most of the time its 5800-6200.

mom always going for gold. Lol. But honestly I don’t beat my stuff to death. My 408 that ran 9.70’s I shifted at 6800 and my 422 that ran 9.40’s@7000 rpm. But when I didn’t rebuild it after three years I dropped it to 6700-6800. Honestly with a 850 carb, solid lifter cam, and five year old springs it was dead after 1000 foot when I tried for a 1/4 mile number (ran 1/8 mile races).

-
Back