Let’s talk CB radios

-
My first CB was a 6 channel Johnson .

Late 70's I had a Courier 23 channel with another 46 channels added on using a 500 watt kicker.

I had 6' heavy duty antennas that I had to swap out because of low bridges coming into Milwaukee..

I used to talk to guys fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and a few guys in Cuba on occasion.

I still have a 23 channel Cobra sideband radio I bought new in 1974.

My first CB was a 6 channel Johnson .

Late 70's I had a Courier 23 channel with another 46 channels added on using a 500 watt kicker.

I had 6' heavy duty antennas that I had to swap out because of low bridges coming into Milwaukee..

I used to talk to guys fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and a few guys in Cuba on occasion.

I still have a 23 channel Cobra sideband radio I bought new in 1974.
How did you reach so far? Amplifier?
I thought you could only reach a few miles.

How did you reach so far? Amplifier?
I thought you could only reach a few miles.
500 watts vs 5 watts of power.

AM radio uses the ionosphere to " skip" the signal to a much larger area.

But the skip doesn't work all the time.

At home, on my base station, I could talk 200 miles without the skip...the Moonraker 6 antenna was huge (15' long?) . With the skip running I could talk to Mexico, central America, etc.

Today there is so much traffic on the regular 40 channels that it's a mess. But above and below is still pretty good...but not FCC approved.

got a lil cobra 25 with alot of work, bigger finials, connex boards reverb and talk back set up to run with a texas star 350 wt liner power box with 2 wilson 2000 antennas and turner road king mic and a presidents external speaker! was a good lil chicken hauler radio, could talk 2-300 miles out cross the desert west texas nm and az! it receives lil better than it gets out, best thing about it didnt have to worry bout no body stealing a cheap ol classic 25 like a ranger or connex or them big ol galaxy radio's!! still got g'pa's kraco cb he run for decades and dads realistic he run just as long,...couple other cobra classic 29s i picked up cheap from new company drivers laid over broke and hungry, some body always selling there stuff around truck stops!

-
Back