Let the Fun Begin - 1965 Barracuda Project

-
You are correct, that was a mistype on my part. It was a "31" on the tag, but it is kind of a moot point because we don't have the original engine. We are swapping in the later model 318.

If you're not going crazy with it, a Performer or old street dominator (keeps the profile low), or the like will work well...drop on a 600-625 cfm Holley vac sec or Edelbrock carb and you should be golden for simplicity...keep an eye out in the classifieds, they pop up now and then.

Well, again, been putting in 70 hours a week lately for work, plus dealing with some family stuff, I haven't had much time to make progress on the Barracuda. I will be heading to the Madison Classic Swap Meet in Jefferson WI in April. I will be trying to unload a bunch of the extra parts that I got when I purchased these cars. If any of you are heading to the show stop on by and say hello, would like to meet some locals. I am supposed to be in spot RK 77.

Hoping that work will slow down in April and I will get to be able to put some more time into the car then.

Does anyone have a picture of how much needs to be cut from the 4-speed cars tunnel? I removed some of the carpet and found some heavy rust in some spots and just wondering how much metal needs to be removed in order to swap it to my other car. Thanks.

Can anyone out there help with a picture of the sheet metal from the tunnel that needs to be cut from my donor car to change the automatic to a 4spd?

I don't know if it will help, but I knew Brewers Performance sells used 4 speed humps so I popped on their site quick to see what they had. They had this picture posted for a 64-65 A body.

Might give you an idea of what you will need to cut from the floor from the donor to have enough to mate it into your car.

FT2481593-1.jpg

Just cut the 4 speed hump from the donor car by drilling out the spot welds that hold it to the original floor pan. You may have to use a propane torch to get all of the seam sealer off of the joint to be able to see the spot welds. I do that, and then take a wire brush on a grinder or in a drill, and get the joint as clean as possible so I can see the spot welds. I then drill it out, leaving the flange for the spot welds as intact as possible. Then take it out of the donor, and hammer and dolly the flange back to straight. Lay that in the intended vehicle, and most of the time they will lay right where they're supposed to be due to contours of the floor pan. Trace around it with a Sharpie, and then take the 4 spd hump out and lay it aside. Make another mark, an inch or so INSIDE the line you traced around the outside of your 4 spd hump. You then will cut out the floor pan on that inside line, being careful not to hack the transmission/torsion bar crossmember in two. You don't need to cut the sheet metal off of the top of said crossmember. You can then weld in your new 4 spd hump, and trim underneath it if needed. Hope this helps.

Thanks that does help. I just know the floor boards are rotted out and am just hoping I have enough material to make the swap. I will try to get some pictures of the tunnel this weekend and post them for feedback.

Well here is the pictures of the tunnel from the 4spd parts car. What are the thoughts out there, is this thing too far gone to cut out and swap to the automatic car? As you can see in the pictures the passenger side has a pretty good hole on it about half way down. The driver's side floor is completely gone as you can see in the picture and it creeped up a bit on the front side of the tunnel. Hoping I can still make it work, but I will take any opinions I can get. Thx in advance!

IMG_20190526_083333954.jpg
IMG_20190526_083434455.jpg

It may take a little bit of patch work to fix it once you get it out of the parts car, but it looks savable. The drivers side front corner looks the worst, but all of the rot might actually be in the part you will cut off anyway. The holes in the passenger side are below the seam sealer that you need to scrape off so you can drill out the spot welds. You just need the part that is inside the perimeter of the seam sealer. The part of the floor that is outside that perimeter is already in the car you plan to put it in.

That helps a ton 1965barr, those pictures are perfect. I will make sure I keep those handy when I get to removing every thing from the floor of the parts car and before I start cutting anything out. My hope is that 80% of it is salvageable and a bit of patch work to get it in. Thanks again everyone for the help. Outside of the pedals, what other critical parts should I be looking to pull off the parts car or digging for in the bins of parts that I have?

Happy Memorial Day to everyone and thank you to all our Service Men and Women out there!

Well decided to take some "me time" on Father's Day and work on the Barracuda. I had to regrind the surface rust that appeared again inside the engine compartment. Came off pretty easy, seeing the hard work was done by my Dad the first time. I was able to get the first coat of POR-15 on and I think it turned out pretty good. I think I got some dust in the paint though or there were just excessive bubbles, so I am going to sand it back down with 800 grit and give it a light second coat. It probably isn't necessary seeing that I am not looking for a show quality finish, but it will bug me if I don't.

Hope all the Dad's had a great Father's Day as well!

IMG_20190616_165232378.jpg
IMG_20190616_165239336.jpg

Sorry everyone for the delay in any posts. We have been going through some tough decisions lately and I have come to the difficult decision that I am going to have to sell the '65 Barracuda Project. I am hoping a different opportunity will arise for us down the road, but right now, this one just isn't in the cards. Please keep an eye out for my new post in the For Sale section. I will be trying to sell the entire project as a whole and will not be parting it out. Looking to get $5k for both cars, the 3 engines and all the parts.

Thanks again for everyone for the support and advice as I was working on this! Much appreciated!

Sorry everyone for the delay in any posts. We have been going through some tough decisions lately and I have come to the difficult decision that I am going to have to sell the '65 Barracuda Project. I am hoping a different opportunity will arise for us down the road, but right now, this one just isn't in the cards. Please keep an eye out for my new post in the For Sale section. I will be trying to sell the entire project as a whole and will not be parting it out. Looking to get $5k for both cars, the 3 engines and all the parts.

Thanks again for everyone for the support and advice as I was working on this! Much appreciated!
I’m sorry to hear this but I understand. I have been there several times with my car. Good luck with the sale , but I also hope you get to keep it.

-
Back