Let's see those side pipes!

-

Landon

76 340 Duster
Reaction score
Im kicking around some ideas to build a low profile side exit exhaust for my duster when it gets road ready. Let's see what u guys have!

Look into Doctor Gas , they sell all kinds of oval pipe and mufflers that make a cool looking side outlet exhaust

Im kicking around some ideas to build a low profile side exit exhaust for my duster when it gets road ready. Let's see what u guys have!

Let me just start off by saying: Terrible idea.

Video
[ame=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/ColoradoZQ8/dusterdyno.mp4]
th_dusterdyno.jpg
[/ame]

Its great at first, but it will drive you nuts if you have steep gears. I only have 3.55's with a 3000 stall converter and its undrivable on the highway.

If your engine takes a dump where does the oil out your exhaust go? No sense in pulling a James Bond on yourself.

My father-in-law has them on his Cobra replica. My son nearly needed a skin graft after climbing out of it.

Well I guess I should have been more specific. I don't want side pipes like a cobra or corvette I want only the exhaust tips visible coming out before the rear tires like a challenger. As for the sound driving me crazy that won't be and issue lol

I don't know what the big deal is and the warnings of "IF" you engine takes a dump... I mean really?!?!?! Pretty crappy words.

I myself do not have any pictures of side pipes or side exit pipes. Though I see no reason at all for not doing it. For me the only draw back is the sound level. And that is just me. That is also not saying I'll ever do it. It is something you have to want to do.

Hunt the web for pictures on side pipes.
Try a photo shopping of your own car or someone else's.

Ops!

My current Duster is a big block in the works. I will be running the true dual pipes straight back into the mufflers where after the mufflers it will take a 90* turn out the side in front of the rear tires. This will not be your average daily driver. But simply closer to weekend terror.

I did it with my car and 2.5 pipe and absolutly love it.
These pics are the fab work in process, and the tips go under the subframe connectors and then turn up and out right in front of the tires with the tips cut at the same front to back angle of the body as well as the same angle that the body curves under.

It gives it the old school dragster hints, and just looks badass when it's warming up and the condensation puffs are coming out both side at a slightly upward angle.
They are satin black and hardly noticable.

Yea, a little loud in town, but just fine out on the hiway.
I get compliments on the sound of it all the time.

I can take a few pics of them now that they are all done if interested, but it's too frikin cold to wash the car lately, so it's dirty.:sad3:

Attachments

• X.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 600
  • pipe.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 616
The big problem or me is there's not much room for mufflers "under the car" unless you find some expensive "squished" specialty stuff, otherwise, you could build something just like the T/A cars did:

25hpaat.jpg

Well I guess I should have been more specific. I don't want side pipes like a cobra or corvette I want only the exhaust tips visible coming out before the rear tires like a challenger. As for the sound driving me crazy that won't be and issue lol

Just giving you a friendly fair warning. I said the exact same thing. lol

There is a company or two that make performance mufflers that enter and exit the same as the T/A mufflers did. And there ALOT cheaper than the OE resto stuff from Accurate.

Here are some pics of my dart sport back in the mid 80's ...Just put new paint on body, blacked out rally wheels with no trim or center cap, and side pipes on it...This is how I rolled in high school.....sorry the quality isn't too good....had to take a picture of picture....no scanner

DSC00041_zpsb8fa3f35.jpg

DSC00042_zps6de5de73.jpg

Then I painted the rally wheels argent silver and dressed them accordingly in the mid 90s....Also added a few stickers to the side vent window as we all know that makes them go faster....LOL

DSC00046_zps0abc7212.jpg

DSC00047_zps4cc8ec96.jpg

Here are some pics of my dart sport back in the mid 80's ...Just put new paint on body, blacked out rally wheels with no trim or center cap, and side pipes on it...This is how I rolled in high school.....sorry the quality isn't too good....had to take a picture of picture....no scanner

DSC00041_zpsb8fa3f35.jpg

DSC00042_zps6de5de73.jpg

Then I painted the rally wheels argent silver and dressed them accordingly in the mid 90s....Also added a few stickers to the side vent window as we all know that makes them go faster....LOL

DSC00046_zps0abc7212.jpg

DSC00047_zps4cc8ec96.jpg

THERE ARE THOSE OF US THAT DON`T, -WON`T HAVE THE ROOM TO RUN THEM ALL THE WAY BACK. I would if I could, but I cain`t so I ain`t ! lol:-s

Forgot the pics

Attachments

• DSCF0630.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCF0635.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 480
  • DSCF0634.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 546
I'm goin a lil bit of a different route and putting lake pipes on my sport, but of course I'm gonna plumb them in so they will be functional

IMG957804_zps0574134e.jpg

IMG952649_zps3818e327.jpg

B Brown, how many in he's were the pipes in length? If you remember. And or how much space to the end of the body panel/end.

I think they were thrush brand and I remember I bought them at A&A auto parts for 212.00...I think they came in two lengths but don't remember the exact lengths.....54 inches seems to ring a bell.....Maybe? I see patriot makes the same exact ones I had.....looks like 3 different lengths 50 inches, 60 inches and 70 inches.....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h1060/overview/

Measuring on my dart sport it looks like 50 or 60 inch will work......The 70's would be too long

Love mine..love the sound...at highway speed they are a murmur but when you are blasting around town...is there any better music ? Sorry, not a MOPAR.

_IGP4023a-L.jpg

_IGP4023a-XL.jpg

Very cool.

Here's a Barracuda prototype that I think is awesome.

Attachments

• side exhaust 2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 420
you have GOT to check this feller out...it is a very special mix where mopar meets walmart

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Barracuda-Watch-Video-71-plymouth-cuda-prostreet-top-of-the-line-gorgeous-wow-/190997728556?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c785a0d2c&item=190997728556&pt=US_Cars_Trucks"]71 Plymouth Cuda ProStreet Top of The Line Gorgeous WOW | eBay[/ame]

No y or x pipe. True duel exhaust with y cutouts for straight headers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 332
-
Back