Let's Talk 67-69 Barracuda 17x8 rims

-

rob_robinson87

Reaction score
Ok, now that 15" RWL letter tires are becoming obsolete, I'm considering "modernizing" my Barracuda by moving up to a 17" wheel. I do know that most say a 5" to 5.5" backspacing is required to get a 245/45/17 on the front (will anything larger on front fit?) and a 5" rear backspacing for maybe a 255/50/15 rear tire.

Has anyone researched 17" wheels for our Barracudas and found any viable options? I would like to keep a polished or chrome wheel on it maybe in a 5-spoke design (could be straight spokes, curved spokes, etc.). I have seen in a few Mopar magazines featured cars that look really good, but they never go into the details of backspacing or modifications that needed to be done to make it work. Obviously, we don't have any wheel dealers around here that stock 4.5x5 bolt circle (yes, I have the 73+ disc brakes on the car) 17" rims that would be willing to like me try them on the car.

I'm not looking on spending a fortune on rims. If there are "affordable" options (like the torque thrusts) that are out there, that would be best. OH, of course, photos are GREATLY appreciated!!!!

I saw these on a 67 (?) Mustang last weekend.

http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/products/wheels/v45

They are basically a clone of a Torque Thrust D. I would guess they are made in China, but I don't know for sure. I'm thinking about a set for my 66 Barracuda. They are available in several sizes and custom backspaces.

I have 17X8 with 245/45-17 on my 69. I also have an Alterkation on my car. I think they look great very tight fit.

Yeah, they aren't bad, but I don't see a 5.5 backspacing (+25mm) option.

Just FYI, they have custom backspace options. See the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 569
Keep in mind, that when these cars were designed, the total suspension design revolved around "X" inches of sidewall, with spring rate/shock (engine size/weight) etc.

Reason I bring it up, was that I was looking at 63-65 Lincoln convertibles about 10 years ago. I visited a shop that did nothing but Lincolns and spoke with them. The tendency for the younger collector (we'll call them), was to put 20" plus rims or "doinking" the car.

He had lots come to him asking why they were getting steering wheel wooble, bumpy rides. Basically the rims were getting bent from lousy roads (here in New England). The cars weren't designed to NOT have sidewall as the initial absorber of any bump.

Keep in mind, that these were supple riding cars (in the day). You add a "sport" (stiffer) suspension and the problem could only be more pronounced.

It will definitely handle better with less sidewall "roll", but there is a downside....just sayin'

Just my .02

Keep in mind, that when these cars were designed, the total suspension design revolved around "X" inches of sidewall, with spring rate/shock (engine size/weight) etc.

Reason I bring it up, was that I was looking at 63-65 Lincoln convertibles about 10 years ago. I visited a shop that did nothing but Lincolns and spoke with them. The tendency for the younger collector (we'll call them), was to put 20" plus rims or "doinking" the car.

He had lots come to him asking why they were getting steering wheel wooble, bumpy rides. Basically the rims were getting bent from lousy roads (here in New England). The cars weren't designed to NOT have sidewall as the initial absorber of any bump.

Keep in mind, that these were supple riding cars (in the day). You add a "sport" (stiffer) suspension and the problem could only be more pronounced.

It will definitely handle better with less sidewall "roll", but there is a downside....just sayin'

Just my .02

i dont see what your saying exactly...i need some hard evidence proving that a 17" rim on an A-body will have a downside...i dont see it...for example, take a look at steves (auotxcuda) car. hes done many suspension mods using a lower profile tire without any downsides what so ever....same for my car....ive done quite a few factory suspension upgrades and added 17" low profile wheels....no problems what so ever here...

My suspension is far from stock.. don't get me wrong, I haven't gone crazy with it, but it does have all polygraphite bushings, beefer end links, new ball joints, heavier torsion bars, heavy duty rear leafs with poly bushings, heavy sway bar, and firmfeel stage 2 steering box.

I most likely won't go with any 18" but I do like the 17" look like Michael Mosley displayed on his page. http://home.roadrunner.com/~michael_mosley/tech/wheels.html

My car will never be a daily driver. I'm not quite concerned with the rotation issue as I would be on our regular drivers.

This person actually squeezed 17x10 rims under his!http://www.mooresmopars.com/ModInterior.html

Note that he is sitting way up in the air and he probably has a super stiff rear end.....that's why the 10" rims fit.

Try dropping your tire inside the wheel well.....not happening

Go 8" rims so you can do what you want and not have issues

18's on the rear
17's on the front
255's on 5.5" on the rear
235 or 245 on the front with 5"

Big and littles.....always look sweet.

I did 18's all the way around and paid dearly for it.
They fit fine now....after I cut 1" off the front lip of the front fenders.

Anyway you go.....plan on what you may use your car for in the future.

Rims are $$$$$$ and it would suck to have to replace them in the not to distant future.

Some old pics of my set up....2009.

255 on the back slammed and they barely clear the stock wheel well.

Good luck on your build.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_1997w.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 683
  • 100_1999w.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 554
-
Back