Lets talk A/C installs with the Gen3 Hemi

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
I'm working on planning out the rest of my build. I'm at the firewall and need to figure out which HVAC box to go with. I'm can use anything but I'd really prefer to stick the OEM Hemi AC Compressor and then use the Bouchillon underhood kit.

Has anyone done an install like this? If so care to elaborate what you did, any issues, etc? What box did you use underdash?

If you went with another setup, please feel free to elaborate as well.

Remember pictures and details will help alot of the guys later on.

Riddler

I plumb systems myself and have used the oe evap unit with modern underhood components. You can get good performance with many combinations. I don't use anything from Bouchillon except some bracketry on occasion.

OK I don't have the OE Duster stuff under the dash. I sold it all off like the smart guy I am.

Has anyone used a Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum box with electronic controls with the stock hemi stuff underhood?

Any other combo's that are working well?

Riddler

OK I don't have the OE Duster stuff under the dash. I sold it all off like the smart guy I am.

Has anyone used a Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum box with electronic controls with the stock hemi stuff underhood?

Any other combo's that are working well?

Riddler

I looked at the Vintage Air - but didnt like the setup because it blocks off the outside air and just recirculates internal air. I really liked the concept of all electronic controls however.
I'm just going with re stock AC system in my Cuda with a Sanden compressor. Nowhere near running yet - so dont know how well it will work.

My early b body has a 5.7 hemi, vintage air gen v, and sanden comppressor. Ac works ok, heat will fry ya, so I'm trying to figure out whats going on with the ac....54 degrees out of the ducts and should be closer to 35-38. Install was easy, wiring was easy, and tech support is friggin' fantastic.

Riddler,

I promised to say something here so I wanted to give you something now, on my ipad and then come back later to give more.

I am using a vintage auto air behind the dash and although I tried to use the stock a/c unit it is just to big with the TTI engine mounts so I had to build a custom a/c mount and use a smaller a/c unit. I have a stock compressor that came with my 6.1 if you need to get one, but depending on what mounts you have it just will not fit.

if you need anything else feel free to ask I have pictures of the compressor on my site.

Does the compressor matter when it comes to the box? Right now I'm thinking stock AC 5.7l compressor with vintage air IV magnum box. Then getting the install kit from Bouchillion.

Riddler

Does the compressor matter when it comes to the box? Right now I'm thinking stock AC 5.7l compressor with vintage air IV magnum box. Then getting the install kit from Bouchillion.

Riddler

When I was looking at compressors, Classic Auto Air said that the Sanden 7176 (which comes with the March Accessory Drive Kit) was somewhat marginal. They recommended a larger Sanden 508. I could not find an easy way to mount the 508 on the March kit so I've stuck with the 7176. Unfortunately I have no idea how this compares to a stock 5.7 L compressor. Classic or Vintage should be able to give some informed advice I would hope.

The displacement on a compressor is part of what determines how 'good' it is. I looked for some data on compressor size to condenser size, and couldn't find much data. I did find that the Sanden 7176 is commonly used by vintage air and others.

Factory Hemi compressor: ~170cc
Sanden 7176: 100cc

Here is how I mounted my 7176. Thats the only compressor that I could find that is short enough to fit in front of the motor mount (aside from the R4).

I have not tested it yet. I bypassed the compressor for now with the belt.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969509644&postcount=3

I guess it's time for me to call vintage air and see what they say. I'm going to assume the higher CC rate if the stock pump will be an issue. Part of me thinks the March system might be one step closer since they use the accessories needed for AC and power steering.

Riddler

Riddler,

when you call them they will have units that work well with their kids. They will probably sell you one. I went through 3 compressors until I found one that would fit. Had to be small enough.

I stand corrected I used classic auto air out of Texas not vintage, but I am sure they are all the same.

I did the homework myself for the end result in my car. I used the part of Classic Air's kit for an A-body Mopar that goes behind the firewall. It's a "bolt in" to the firewall and has all the outlets coming out where the stock blower motor would have come through. Since I wanted to clean up the firewall a bit, I re-routed the outlets to different locations. You can buy the "behind the firewall" part or the kit by itself if you want.

Then I found a company out of L.A. that has new, replacement condensors and I bought an OEM Mopar drier for a Dodge Intrepid ('04 I think). Then I'm using the stock 6.1 OEM compressor and have a local custom hose guy (makes hydraulic, oil, fuel, AC, rubber or metal) I'll use so all my hoses will be custom length for an OE look. I went this route so it doesn't look like I used a generic, aftermarket kit but rather an OEM look. Oh, and I found the manufacturer of the aluminum adapter fittings for the compressor. These are the fittings that everyone else (like Bouchelon) sells after marking up the price. My water and air valves are all electronic, but I haven't decided on controls yet.

I did all the research for my system during the big, economic hey-day when a lot of these companies had more business than they could handle. As usual, I had to deal with attitudes (my pet peeve) and people who expected you to just order up and not ask questions about the product.

I got the best service (willing to sell a "partial kit") and price from Classic Air. Pretty much all the people there were gracious, helpful and cooperative. The Vintage Air people were pretty arrogant, no matter who I talked to. What I found with Bouchilon was they're just re-selling stuff from elsewhere. I won't ever call them again after the son there lied to me about an "export only Jeep" oil pan. I knew it was a standard, stock 5.7 Jeep pan and when I suggested that, he got pretty "agitated".

My biggest problem with classic air is that they don't carry a product for the 73-76 Duster. They are trying to push for a stock box and then use there other stuff. I wasn't able to contact vintage Friday so ill try on Monday and see if the increased CC from the 5.7/6.1 hemi compressor will be a big deal. I'm going to assume it won't be.

I like the vintage unit as its all electric so no cable or hoses just a few wires.

Riddler

I did the homework myself for the end result in my car. I used the part of Classic Air's kit for an A-body Mopar that goes behind the firewall. It's a "bolt in" to the firewall and has all the outlets coming out where the stock blower motor would have come through. Since I wanted to clean up the firewall a bit, I re-routed the outlets to different locations. You can buy the "behind the firewall" part or the kit by itself if you want.

Then I found a company out of L.A. that has new, replacement condensors and I bought an OEM Mopar drier for a Dodge Intrepid ('04 I think). Then I'm using the stock 6.1 OEM compressor and have a local custom hose guy (makes hydraulic, oil, fuel, AC, rubber or metal) I'll use so all my hoses will be custom length for an OE look. I went this route so it doesn't look like I used a generic, aftermarket kit but rather an OEM look. Oh, and I found the manufacturer of the aluminum adapter fittings for the compressor. These are the fittings that everyone else (like Bouchelon) sells after marking up the price. My water and air valves are all electronic, but I haven't decided on controls yet.

I did all the research for my system during the big, economic hey-day when a lot of these companies had more business than they could handle. As usual, I had to deal with attitudes (my pet peeve) and people who expected you to just order up and not ask questions about the product.

I got the best service (willing to sell a "partial kit") and price from Classic Air. Pretty much all the people there were gracious, helpful and cooperative. The Vintage Air people were pretty arrogant, no matter who I talked to. What I found with Bouchilon was they're just re-selling stuff from elsewhere. I won't ever call them again after the son there lied to me about an "export only Jeep" oil pan. I knew it was a standard, stock 5.7 Jeep pan and when I suggested that, he got pretty "agitated".

Care to tell us where to find those aluminum fittings and other specific things needed?

Riddler

That's funny, I too was dealing with the Son ( RJ I think) at Bouchellon about a power steering pump. And the one he was trying to sell me was an "Export Only " must be his standard sales pitch....

Riddler, I can get any of the info you need. I should have it all, but you can't be in a big rush for it. I keep receipts and part number labels from parts packaging, but they're spread out between my garage, den and family room. :( Also, I'm in the middle of preparing my home for sale; super big project at work, and still trying to make progress on my 'Cuda. I think I can come up with the parts catalog pretty quick for the company I bought the fittings from. Probably the website too...

Tincup,
Yeah, he is just trying to throw you off and make you think it's an export piece and that only he knows the part number and how to get it. Wants you to think you can only get it through him. Bunch of B.S.

Just got off the phone with a gentleman at Vintage Air. He took the time and explained to me everything I needed to know.

The Gen IV Magnum evaporator kit will work with the stock Hemi 5.7 and 6.1 compressor. He pointed me to Bouchillion to get the rest of the parts needed.

So my A/C (HVAC) is gonna be:

Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum Evaporator kit
Stock Hemi AC compressor
Bouchillion conversion parts with a condesor.

Riddler

What "conversion" parts are you talking about? Please explain.

Just the lines and fitting for the compressor. They sell a package for about $50. I'll prolly just buy the fitting when we find out where to get them. Lines are easy to get made.

Riddler

Gotcha. check nostalgicairparts.com, they have alot of stuff (fittings. hose, etc).

Found my AC catalog. Sorry for the delay. I used Doc's Blocks for the compressor blocks and much of my fittings. They make two types of compressor blocks, all of which fit 5.7 - 6.1 compressors:

Part # AA1277 and AA1278 These have the threaded part for the hose fitting right straight up on the block. You then use 45*, 90* fittings, or whatever you like.

Part # AA1090 and AA1091 These have a tube coming up off the block with a 90* turn and then the threaded part for your hose fitting.

This is the only seller I've been able to find for these blocks. Doc's Blocks was bought out by another company and they don't sell individual fittings, they only sell in bulk now.

Here's the blocks without the 90* or 45* fitting

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-7L-Chrysler-Hemi-Compressor-Block-A-C-Fittings-/160923072304

Bouchillion sells the parts for $45 and ebay sells for $65. I'm thinking I'll still do Bouchillion since I can't find the blocks for sale anywhere.....

Riddler

Wow, what an ever changing world. Companies merging; bought out; going out of business. I guess we need to count on the small companies who promote these conversions to make bulk purchases of things like this to sustain those of us performing the conversions...

** I just looked at the front of my Doc's Blocks catalog and it's from '06-'07. A lot has happened with many companies since then. :(

-
Back