lets talk about mig welders??

-
i picked up a miller matic 211 a couple months ago for $600. came with a bottle, cart 10lb roll of wire and a hood. it can run 220v or 11v. that is the best bang for the buck right now. i got mine used of craigslist but he had a reciept that showed it was less than a yr old and i had him meet me at the local welding supply shop to have them look it over.

whatever you buy get the gas set up dont even consider that flux core chit

I bought my hobart 140 last year at Nothern tool for $450 it cam with free shipping and a cart, it is a decent little welder.

oh and stay away from the name brand welders at the big box stores. lowes and depot. they are not the same as the commercial grade welders you get at a proper shop. they have different internal components.

Go down to your local welding supply house and seek the advice of an expert!!! You'll be buying consumables, renting and filling your gas bottle from them anyhow. Also figure $200 for protective equipment like a decent auto-darkening hood and a set of gloves at a minimum. Don't skimp on that stuff.

So a couple years ago I bought a Hobart 187 from Amazon while I was deployed. When I got home, I went to my local supplier to buy a bottle, gas, hood, gloved, wire, etc... First question was where did I buy the transformer, and how much did I pay? I told them, and they said they would have met the online price. Next they told me that if I didn't mind a really low time "factory reconditioned" (they're a service center, so it was a warranty trade out they repaired) unit with a full warranty, I could have walked out with the transformer, full bottle, wire, hood, and gloves as a package for what the new welder cost online.

What I'm trying to say is talk to your local welding supplier. Be honest with your needs and budget. They may be able to get you into a good used name brand machine for less than a brand new import. And I'm not knocking the Asian imports. A welder is a simple device that could easily be built anywhere in the world. BUT keep in mind that the Chinese are masters of building things "to a price". You get what you pay for, and sometimes things are cheaply sold because they are cheaply made.

stay away from the name brand welders at the big box stores. lowes and depot. they are not the same as the commercial grade welders you get at a proper shop. they have different internal components.

Yup and this stuff should be against the law. Also true of such things as John Deere lawn/ garden equipment.

Yup and this stuff should be against the law. Also true of such things as John Deere lawn/ garden equipment.

ya i got a lincoln 180 mig from depot and it wouldnt even penetrate good enough to hold 1/8" flat stock together on the hottest settings. took it right back.

well wanted to thank every one for all the great advice. also sorry if i cam off the wrong way but i have mig welded before but it has been a few years. I am mostly used to stick welding. but any way i decided to buy this mig welder off Craigslist. I am getting it for 200 and will pick it up tomorrow after work. i think it will work for all the light welding i have to do on my duster.i ran into my old boss wear i used to work at and he said i could use one of his bays and a lift to put in the spring kit roll bar etc. he has a nice 200 amp miller mig that i can use. so thanks again for all the help. thanks Bobby.

oops here is the link to the mig i am buying.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/tls/3789826235.html

-
Back