Lets talk motors....what should/could i do?

-

Lomax

Reaction score
I am getting ready to slowly start building a different engine for my Duster. It currently has a 318 from I think around an early 80's chrysler with "fast burn"heads. I also have a new .480 lift cam in it with an edelbrock intake and carter 600cfm comp series carb.
What I have setting around:
a complete 360 from a 94-99 model 1500 truck. (never new the exact year)
a 360 bottom end (short block) from a 94-99 model 1500 truck
a 318 punched .60 over with a stock 340 cam and edelbrock torker intake.

It doesnt bother me to rob parts from one to another.

I am wanting 375-450hp (I know 450 is high). That might be a bit much for a car I want to drive to work alot but I only live 3.2 miles from work so gas isnt a big issue.
The fact that my car is Panther Pink (and I intend to leave it that way) kinda means (at least to me) it needs some juice (not nitrous) under the hood to make all the Nova's and Camaros around here think twice.
Im 1 of 2 maybe 3 people that have a mopar and will actually drive it. Fords and Chevy's are everywhere. I wanna get mine out there with all these folks and remind them of what they actually where (or can be)
-Will

gonna have to build the magnum long block, the 318 will take more to get the power.

get a cam in the 240's-250' @.050 duration .520-.560 lift 108-110cl 275*-288* adv dur
Buy a rpm magnum intake, headers and 750 carb. done...the rest is tune.

check all clearances for valve lift and make room accordingly. You might even consider doing a leak down test on the long block and if it gos crummy...swap heads onto other mag short block and at the same time do the guide/retainer clearancing and install seals/springs.

If the complete 5.9 is good low K runner just put the 380hp crate engine cam and intake(M1 single plane or air gap) with a 750 and headers supposedly they dyno 400+hp and if you want more mill and port the heads or some Eddy's, EQ's or RHS heads.

It does run but it smokes so I am going to have to rebuild it. Budget is always controlled by time, so if it takes a little longer to get the things I need, thats fine with me. thanks

Should it need
Pistons, just beware the height at which they come in at. You'll want to keep the ratio at or under 11-1 with aluminum heads, 10-1 with iron heads.

After that, what 1W&c and 273 said are worth the thought. Crazy has a stouter build than 273's. IDK if you can still get the create roller cam anymore.

My only thought on a build like this is to add the use of a larger 1-3/4 tube header over the standard 1-5/8 unit. It'll be worth the $$$.
Tti comes to mind quicy though Hooker or Headman's are an option that should be looked into as well.

What kind, type of ignition should I use with this setup that would be the best. I am going to build up the 360, with the information that I have gotten from this. I am going to need alot of help as I get ready to put this thing together, Im going to put it on the engine stand this week

Ignition,stock Chrysler electronic,good plugs ,wires,and coil.The stock roller 380/360 cam,discontinued.Several great threads on buildups,use the "search" feature at the top of the screen.Or,start a build thread.

What do I need to do to get rid of the Serpintine belt setup. Im only running an alternator, no A/C or power steering

Swap to a 360 la timing cover.Did the Magnum swap last year,all the early stuff swaps.Just use a matching water pump.Don't forget to swap oil pans,early 360 fits.If using headers,mock up on the engine stand.The truck engine mount bosses might hit,grind as necessary.Usually the driver's side,if needed.Use a Professional Products balancer,magnums are balanced different than early 360's.

-
Back