Let's talk subs....

-
Why do you want them?....or feel you need them?

I do not see any tubbing for bigger sticky tires....so, IMO, you do not have enough tire / traction to twist what you have.....tires will spin long before the body twists.

I know that isn't a popular view....but other than adding weight...I just do not see the need unless you have high HP ....a big sticky tire... and a stick shift or loose converter....or perhaps doing serious duty as a auto-x er

Money, time, and effort could be spent more wisely elsewhere.

Didn't most of the 340 A bodys come with torque boxes? I always assummed the Chrysler engineers thought the frame needed some beefing up on their hp models. I have always been curious what would be preferable for my Barracuda: put in aftermarket torque boxes, frame connectors, both or neither!

Bolt on connectors will help.
Any old Mopar will benefit from them.

A quick test is a complete car, sitting on the ground open and close the doors.
Jack the front corner off the ground, most likely the doors will start to drag when the front wheel is off the ground.
It is not just Mopars, my full frame Corvette will slightly bind when jacked up on one front wheel.

I have driven street cars /street tires with and without the frames tied....the first time somewhere around 1976......no difference that I could tell what-so ever. Never had enough traction with a street tire OR slick on a street surface (too much dirt/pebbles) to cause any twisting /flexing....just tire spinning.

Of course, those were days BEFORE we dealt with any rust/ rot issues. Maybe now they are needed.

Your experience may vary.....this is just my experience and opinion.

I have to agree. I have done many sets for myself and for others. I could not tell a noticeable difference just driving around on the street. Where we always could tell a difference was on the strip. Maybe my butt is insensitive too.

It is nice to have company.

You sure about that three tire jack thing?....sounds like a Houdini thing to me.

:)

Well, you get the idea, the whole car lifts up not just the one corner.

Maybe it's all in OUR heads, but I swear I noticed a sizable difference in the way my car handled with the addition of the sub frame connectors. Next thing ya know, someone is gonna tell me that I won't notice adding a front sway bar!

If hot rodding a dime-a-don A body, original 6 cyl / 318 car adding large HP, tubs, and tires.....by all means, cut and weld away.

But if I had a car ......somewhat original, or the ability to keep close to original...(the Duke, in this case) where it is not being tubbed (larger tires) , there is no way I'm adding or welding anything to it unless absolutely needed.

That's just how I see it.... you may think different, and that is A-OK with me.

I'm not arguing, just trying to understand. Do you really think that welding sub-frame connectors in to an original 340 Duster is going to hurt it's value? I would be willing to bet that 99.9% of FABO's member's cars will never be judged at Carlisle. I say do what you can to make the car more enjoyable to drive. To be honest, I'm going to be dead when my car gets sold so I really don't care what it's going to be worth.

I'm not arguing, just trying to understand. Do you really think that welding sub-frame connectors in to an original 340 Duster is going to hurt it's value?uld be willing to bet that 99.9% of FABO's member's cars will never be judged at Carlisle. I say do what you can to make the car more enjoyable to drive. To be honest, I'm going to be dead when my car gets sold so I really don't care what it's going to be worth.

yes....I do think it hurts the value of an original 340 car.....most others, not a bit

but if you think it is needed.....go for it. ( no argument....just shop talk / bench racin')

for the OP (the Duke)....I just asked why?. From following his story and pics, he has had this car since he had pimples and he is not planning on adding "traction"
I would kill to have my 69' GTX again....and would go to to great pains to make it as it was in '71 (not stock)......it would be priceless to ME.

Bust its cherry, it wasn't original the day you
changed tires, wiper blades, brakes or five minutes
after you signed the paperwork and drove it off the lot.
Decide what you want and make it happen.

Thanks for the opinions!
I will re-think my original premise that I "need" subs on The Duke....I figured it was a foregone conclusion. As I said, it's mostly gonna be a street build with maybe 400HP if I'm lucky, out of a smallblock. That being said, it's not gonna be a concours resto or even original by any means...but nothing radical. Personally, I would rather not put them in if I don't need them...the Li'l Red Minx never had any and she ran just fine until she smooched the phone pole.
Appreciate the opinions...keep 'em coming!

-
Back