liberty gears pros and cons

-

mjs69gts

Reaction score
ived read a few of you guys talking about liberty gears in your a833s im wondering whats involved and any feedback good or bad, my darts has a 416 and puts out 506 hp 526 ft lbs. im also using a mcloed dual disc street strip setup rsated to 1000 hp. car also has a zex 300 hp shot of nitrous setup.:burnout:

they shift real good, seem to live in lighter weight cars ok (not heavy cars like mine). i don't think that twin disc is the hot set up though. might want to consider something a little more gentle. if your street driving you might want to consider keeping first gear synchronized, the faceplated 3rd & 4th are the way to go (not sure if 2nd is available yet as a face plate), especially on the street. my 3rd use to down shift pretty easy.

why not a dual disc setup. mcloed recomened it to me a few years back.

why not a dual disc setup. mcloed recomened it to me a few years back.

unless its a slipper you can grenade the trans lol... the 18 spline can hold ALOT. depending on how heavy your car is and how it hooks will be the determining factor on how it lives...

we sheared all the teeth of 2nd with the Mr. Norms car with an 18 spline and pro-shifted...

the dual disc is nice in not slipping, but I've just broke the gears on 8-3/4 center sections on back to back weekends playing with slicks.:banghead:

since it seems I'm hooking LOL with just SS springs and a pinion snubber, my plan is to go with a Dana 60 and upgrade to a 4130 drive shaft with 1350's on both ends.
maybe I'll get a pass in then !:burnout:
anyways long story short be prepared for finding the weak link from the clutch back very quickly with that dual disc !

the dual disc is nice in not slipping, but I've just broke the gears on 8-3/4 center sections on back to back weekends playing with slicks.:banghead:

since it seems I'm hooking LOL with just SS springs and a pinion snubber, my plan is to go with a Dana 60 and upgrade to a 4130 drive shaft with 1350's on both ends.
maybe I'll get a pass in then !:burnout:
anyways long story short be prepared for finding the weak link from the clutch back very quickly with that dual disc !

thats my point... what i ment was a slipper clutch that mcloud sells...

hi, the mcloed soft loc is the best for what you need. it will slip and lock up. but, since you drive yours, might not be the best setup. for racing , its the best setup.

i have a moser fab 834 with randy rand p set up yukon axles 486 gears and im using ta street drag tires out back.

hi, the mcloed soft loc is the best for what you need. it will slip and lock up. but, since you drive yours, might not be the best setup. for racing , its the best setup.

yea the soft lock.... we had it in the Mr. norms car...

PITA unless you like to tear down your car all the time lol... getting it adjusted up isn't a big deal but having to drop the motor trans every time due to the lakewood bell housing is...

I blew 3rd gear out of my liberty last week(8th pass on the liberty gears) not happy! I raced with a slick shifted trans I did my self for 3 years till I burd up the clutching teeth in 4th gear and it got real hard to shift into 4th, but never broke a gear. I think when liberty is welding up the gears they are taking the heat treating out of them and not putting it back in. I am putting the syncroed street trans back in(witch has taken a beating on the street for 10 years with no problems)and I doubt I will do another liberty, to expensive for the longevity. Next trans will be a Jerico dr4, when I save enough money.

hi, the 3rd gear is the weakest. cannot do burnouts in 3rd. in all the years i ran a slick shifted [ GER] trans, only broke 3rd once. i did burnouts in 2nd gear. btw, ran trans from 1979 to 2009. just food for thought. the jerico doesn't bolt in, requires lot of work to make it fit. but is lot stronger and noiser.

-
Back