Life remaining?

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Currently running a 318, with 46K since the rebuild about 5 years ago. Comp XE268 cam, headers, double roller timing chain, electric choke Street Demon 625 carb, FBO distributor. Always use Delo 15w40 oil and good Wix filters every 1500 miles, and it used zero oil. 17-20 psi oil pressure at hot idle (at lowest), 55-60 psi at speed always. Motor runs good. Maybe 10 quarter mile passes and a romp to 5K rpm out on the road here or there. Switched over to 3.91 gears about 3 months ago. I limit the freeway revs to 3200-3500 rpm tops, maximum 70 mph. If I keep up on the maintanence, do you feel the motor has plenty of life left before overhaul?

Eventually will be getting OD A833 down the line.

Back in the day,, it was not uncommon to do a valve grind at about 60k,, and an overhaul at 100k.. any breed..

Better lubricants and alloys would have extended that,, it's just a guideline..

One of my vehicles was running great. No oil burning, misses, nothing. Then it sucked a chunk of the head gasket into one of the cylinders. Anything can happen. Mostly to me so you should be good to go.

I've put 100,000 miles plus on a 318 , they last if maintained properly . Weak spots were , are the plastic timing chain gear(I have 3 on my wall ), since you have the double roller steel gear you're good to go .

I've put 100,000 miles plus on a 318 , they last if maintained properly . Weak spots were , are the plastic timing chain gear(I have 3 on my wall ), since you have the double roller steel gear you're good to go .

Oh yeah, definitely not using that nylon garbage.

Was mainly concerned about life versus the use of 3.91s with my 904 still in the car. I limit the freeway revs to 3,500 rpm, which still seems acceptable and have increased oil change intervals. Should keep things in good shape.

Hell, the 440-3 in my old '81 C class 19 ft trans van went 96k miles with 4.10s howling at 3500 rpm on the highway with no problems and is still running great to this day in the new owners hands with over 100K on it.

while it's in good health you can always run a compression test and leakdown test. Log it and compare down the road.

One of my vehicles was running great. No oil burning, misses, nothing. Then it sucked a chunk of the head gasket into one of the cylinders. Anything can happen. Mostly to me so you should be good to go.

This is true....anything can happen. Bought a Dart that had a well though out, balanced/blueprinted 340 in it. Had 2k miles on the motor when I got it. Hardly beat on it...going to work one day swallowed a valve on the freeway.....needless to say what happened to the motor....Ended up digging a hole in a friends back yard...wonder if anybody ever found it?

With today's motor oils, you are in good shape. Drive the wheels off it. Used to be the expectancy of a true high performance engine (high compression and all) was no more than about 10K miles. That's come a long way.

With today's motor oils, you are in good shape. Drive the wheels off it. Used to be the expectancy of a true high performance engine (high compression and all) was no more than about 10K miles. That's come a long way.

I agree. Being how it's still solid and with your fluid change intervals, I can see a lot left on that bottom end. I do understand your concern with adding some gear and a little more rpm, but the biggest thing to worry about for me would be the valve springs weakening over time and limiting your high rpm performance. But, with you keeping the sustained/cruising rpm's at a reasonable place, I'd have no worries at this point.

Ride and enjoy! :thumbrig:

-
Back