lifted my boys cherokee today...

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
so my boy got a 97 cherokee close to a year ago.. he has been itching to get a lift on it since... so we got him one for christmas. me and him installed it today..

new parts...

3.5" rubicon front springs

3.5" add a leafs from rustys

shocks, u-bolts, transfer case drop, brake line drops, and control arms all from rustys also...

i love the way it sits, he just needs to find himself a set of 31" tires to finish it off...

new parts...

DSC_0074.jpg

before:

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

during:

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

old springs and new springs...

DSC_0076.jpg

front is done....

DSC_0082.jpg

finished...

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

old parts.....

DSC_0095.jpg

looks like a garden tractor with the oe size tires....

I have had really good luck finding brand new tires at salvage yards for cheap. I got a set of 4 31's for a lifted Jeep my son had for $150.00 at a salvage yard and mounted them on 15x7 cop car wheels. Lookin good!

Looking good. I think everything with a transfer case needs lifted. More pics when you get bigger tires please!

There goes your retirement....Tires,rims,running boards,winch,roll bar,driving lights,bra,skid plate,tubular bumpers,train horn....

Nice,...It'll be covered in mud before you know it...

it usually is covered in mud... told him a month ago to keep it out of the mud and clean underneath so we can do the lift. also had him spraying all the bolts down with pb blast for the last few weeks...:) to my surprise it was pretty clean underneath so i guess he actually listened and kept it out of the mud... that must have killed him...lol

I have had really good luck finding brand new tires at salvage yards for cheap. I got a set of 4 31's for a lifted Jeep my son had for $150.00 at a salvage yard and mounted them on 15x7 cop car wheels. Lookin good!

i'll have to look around.. good idea..

You are going to want a wider rim than a 15x7.
A good rule is for every inch you lift a 4x4 you want an inch wider on the tires for stability.

Here is a comparison to 15x7 and 235 on my wrangler, and 15x10 with 33 10.50 on my willys.
The wrangler is stock, the willys has a 3" lift.
The 10" rims are a little wide, I wish I would have bought 15x8" on the willys.

1002082.jpg

always wanted a flat fender like that..

for now i think we will just put 31's on the rims he already has. down the road we will find a 8" rim for it.. unless we find a good deal on a tire/wheel combo...

i don't want it too aggressive looking. he will be 18 in jan. and don't need this thing to be a cop magnet.. that why i figured 3.5" lift and some 31's should be perfect. going down the road it doesn't really look big. but next to a stock one you can really tell the difference.

Stock rims will work, my cousin is still running them on a Cherokee he bought new, and lifted.
He runs like a 9.50 31".
Just make it real clear to your kid that lift and going quick around corners dont mix.
I don't want anybody to get hurt, by rolling a jeep.
I have had various lifted jeeps for 28 years now.

We lifted my son's Jeep and added stock Rubicon wheels a few years ago. It was a good father son project!!

LiftKit2.jpg

Looks good i'm sure he's happy but as stated here goes the add ons winches,bumpers,roof rack,lights ect. We got a ram 1500 4x4 several months ago and will be lifting it after tax return time but i'm going 5 inch right off the difference in price is minimal so we're going to the bigger lift.Hope he is having fun with it and be safe!

yea he wants all kinds of stuff for it.. he works and is on his own there. christmas and b-day i'll get him some stuff but its his jeep not mine. i have enough money pits around here to take care of..lol

i wouldn't mind having one of these cherokees.. they run for ever, great woods beaters and parts are so damn cheap for them...

should have seen him after we did the lift. he was trying to be all calm and cool (he will be 18 in jan) but i could tell inside is was happy as hell. probably went home and pulled his pud all night over it...lmao..

Looks good Joe. How long did it take? Was it pretty simple?

I've been considering a 4" lift on the wife's Wrangler for a long time so I can get some 35" tires on it. I have 31" tires on it now with stock lift. It looks good without any rubbing, but bigger is always better.

took around 5 hours... this is the first cherokee i have done.. done a few cj's and yj's over the years.

pretty straight forward. the upper shackle bolts were a real ***** and one of the studs for the trans cross member was a real ***** to get out.. but most of the stuff came out and went back in pretty easily. just time consuming doing it.

Looks good Joe. That is a good lift too. I helped my buddy lift his cherokee. They are quite capable offroad with just a small lift and 31's or 32's.

nice but what i would suggest is take that little lift off and go as big as you can right of the bat. the only reason i say this is you start small and always keep anding lift. so just go as as bigg as you can and get it over with. okay now that thats out of my system. nice i like it i have alwys had a soft spot for the XJ's

-
Back