Lifter and cam question

-

d55dave

Reaction score
A couple of quick questions.....

I had always thought that small and big block hydraulic flat tappet lifters were the same......but in doing some research I see some manufacturers have different part numbers for big / small block, yet others show the same litter for both......what gives? I believe they both have the same bore diameter, do they have different heights?

Next question, I just bought an Engle he3844bl cam, only used for some dyno pulls, in very nice shape. It only shows very light polishing of the lobes. Does anyone have any experience or reviews with this cam? Will I be OK to install it with a new set of aftermarket lifters and break it in normally?

Thanks!

Next question, I just bought an Engle he3844bl cam, only used for some dyno pulls, in very nice shape. It only shows very light polishing of the lobes. Does anyone have any experience or reviews with this cam? Will I be OK to install it with a new set of aftermarket lifters and break it in normally?

Thanks!

Yes, install new lifters and follow proper break in procedure. Just keep in mind 'anything' can happen, wiped lobe etc. Not trying to jinx you, just throwing it out there. It can happen with brand new components.

where are all the big block experts? they are both .904" diameter. chrysler specs had some part of length different between big and smallblock-plunger or oil band? I like sealed power ht976. sometimes the aftermarket will adjust the dimensions some so 1 part will fit both-close enough especially if U have adjustable rockers

..................From my experience with the DC and MP lifters from the 70s/80s and 90s yes there is a difference in where the pushrod seat is in the lifter....... .075 thou lower for the BB lifter.........I have measured many sets from back in the day......mopar always had a different part number for each engine family..........kim.........today it just so much easier to manufacture 1 size fits all and change ur pushrods to match........dam, I was thinking hyd lifters

Ok, thanks for the replies! Not sure if I should install and run the cam yet as I am on a budget and the 440 (75) will be stock aside from a Holley Street dominator, Holley 750 vac sec and headers. I do have a good 3500 stall converter that I could use with it. Am I crazy thinking of installing this cam with stock valve springs? It is INT .536" EXH .540",238 244 @ .050, 108 centerline? What if I advance it?

Thanks!

pre 68 B/RB's used a smaller ball socket on their lifters. If you see a different part number for lifters and pushrods for a pre 68, I bet this is the difference. I dont think solid lifters had a standard height, they were probably a tad taller to be used with small base circle high lift cams. Check 'em..."These (pushrods) are supplied in factory "B" (361/383/400) engine lengths of 8.575" long. These will work with 1968 and later engines." 440source.com

mopar catalog small block solid lifter PN P2843177

mopar catalog big block solid lifter PN P2843177

mopar catalog 426 hemi solid lifter PN 1 P2843177

P4006767 hydraulic lifter 426 hemi

P4006767 Big Block

P3614321 hydraulic lifter small block

solid lifters all the same...hydraulic different...

RP3031_ANG__ra_p.jpg

66 383 pushrod 8.6450 RP3031
69 383 pushrod 8.5750 RP3191
RP3191_TOP__ra_p.jpg
All lifters built today are more common larger ball end sockets so the same Mopar part number meets many apps, Even AMC with through lifter oiling provision.

-
Back