lifter galley crossover tube with air gap intake?

-

zinser72

Reaction score
i have an eddy air gap and i didnt realize that they sit down so far in the lifter valley. the problem is i already have a braided stainless lifter galley crossover tube installed and it hits the bottom of the intake. is there such a thing as an easy fix? id rather not cut up a new intake and weld it all back together hoping it didnt warp. im guessing someone out there has run this intake with a crossover, how did you get it to work? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Uh, burnt, he's talking about an OIL gallery crossover

i have an eddy air gap and i didnt realize that they sit down so far in the lifter valley. the problem is i already have a braided stainless lifter galley crossover tube installed and it hits the bottom of the intake. is there such a thing as an easy fix? id rather not cut up a new intake and weld it all back together hoping it didnt warp. im guessing someone out there has run this intake with a crossover, how did you get it to work? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I'd replumb the crossover with right-angled fittings and probably hard line too. I'm sure I've seen a thread about this issue in the past but can't track it down. Anyways, it's all about getting a tighter turn on the fittings.

Done properly, it uses 45° fittings and hard line and the angles and positions of the holes drilled is critical for it to actually help. It's also a sustained high-rpm mod. If you're not planning to run flat out at road tracks or circle track, just plug the holes with pipe plugs and move on.

it will be road raced and spend a long time between 5000 and 7500 rpm. i live 10 miles from road america so i cant waste it lol. so right now the braided line is in with 90* fittings just like the one someone posted on page 7 of Guitar Jones's oiling mod sticky. so you guys are saying a hard line will clear for sure? im stuck with 1/4 NPT holes perpendicular to the lifter gallies so gotta make it work somehow. man i looked at all the pics i could find of this intake ahead of time but they all looked like it layed flat and no pics of bottom. on the chinese knock-offs i saw the step down but not on the eddy, wasn't expecting this. thanks for the responses

Ah. Well, that makes more sense...lol.
90° fittings negate most of the benefit, as do holes that are straight down into the galleys. The 45s, with holes drilled on the right angle will be tight to the block and I'm pretty sure that would fit. But, what's done is done. You may want to remove the braided and fittings, and then use some clay to check what room you have. Dual planes are not normally used in applications where that line would be. So you may need to do some playing around to see what exactly will fit.

90° fittings negate most of the benefit, as do holes that are straight down into the galleys. The 45s, with holes drilled on the right angle will be tight to the block and I'm pretty sure that would fit. But, what's done is done. You may want to remove the braided and fittings, and then use some clay to check what room you have. Dual planes are not normally used in applications where that line would be. So you may need to do some playing around to see what exactly will fit.

i was told to block off oil from right galley to #1 main and feed it only from the left as it crosses over through the tube. this way the main is the end of the line and gets more oil. will my current setup flow enough to not starve that main? wish i would've known about the angles but all the pics ive seen of crossovers where strait with 90* fittings, thanks for the help

moper, let me see if i got this right. you should drill at a 45 degree into the lifter galley and then us a 45 degree fitting to make a straight metal line between the two????

Dual planes are not normally used in applications where that line would be. So you may need to do some playing around to see what exactly will fit.

X2........you might check a standard non airgap RPM. Not positive but i don't think the're as tight in the valley?

X2........you might check a standard non airgap RPM. Not positive but i don't think the're as tight in the valley?

On my test motor i built the crossover with a straight fitting and then made the 90 with the metal pipe......it clears a LD 340 manifold.

I plan to run a air gap some day so this thread has my attention!!!:-k

i was told to block off oil from right galley to #1 main and feed it only from the left as it crosses over through the tube. this way the main is the end of the line and gets more oil. will my current setup flow enough to not starve that main? wish i would've known about the angles but all the pics ive seen of crossovers where strait with 90* fittings, thanks for the help

moper you got me worried now...lol. is my setup doing more harm than good right now? please let me know what you think. i blocked off oil from the right galley to the #1 main so if the crossover doesnt work that bearing is toast. i want this thing to live...

-
Back