Lifting Third Members

-

moparspares

Reaction score
Anyone made a tool that aids in lifting third members/diff centres into housings. They are just to damn heavy to lift in with my arthritic hands, neck and shoulder. Have never seen a commercially made one which surprises me.

I have a floor jack from HF that the 3rd member fits on...I move the jack with pumpkin in front of housing with jack stands hold car up in air...then lower housing..jack floor jack up to meet housing...bingo it is in...

I have seen a few videos on YouTube use a jack to get the 3rd member up in there as well.

Best place for jack stands is one on either side on the rear axle correct?

I bet the dealer used a transmission jack since I suspect the vehicle would have been on a lift

I haven't had to do it with 8 3/4" third members but I have with the 9" third members. Just a standard floor jack with the third member balanced on it is what I've done.

I just did mine solo the other day with a standard 2 1/2 ton floor jack and I also have arthritis. I set the flange of the pig just inside the cup and it was a perfect balance but make sure to get the car high enough that the pig on the jack will pass under the axle,springs or through the side of the car. I didn't figure this when I did mine and had to do it under the car but once it was on the jack it was a breeze. I also jacked it just enough to get the pig to slide on the upper studs and lowered the jack and it dropped mostly into place.

I made one about 5 years ago....no luck yet, but someday its gonna work like a charm lifting them up in there!
IMG_20160718_173155.jpg

image_23989.jpg
HF sells a small tranny jack for $99.00, has a strap and 4 casters and the metal plate has a v groove in it. the pumkin sit in it like it was designed for them. Uses a 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar. rated for I think 450 lbs.

View attachment 1715045100 HF sells a small tranny jack for $99.00, has a strap and 4 casters and the metal plate has a v groove in it. the pumkin sit in it like it was designed for them. Uses a 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar. rated for I think 450 lbs.

Right here is the safest method without getting into some fab work. This is a great tool for someone to have in their shop and I have used my for more than car work.

JW

i drilled and tapped my jack and bolt a plywood base with two 2 x 2's that cradle the pig and
has a strap that secures it across the top.Roll it past the housing,line it up and pull it back in.Makes the install quite easy but you still have to get under there and finish things up though.

View attachment 1715045100 HF sells a small tranny jack for $99.00, has a strap and 4 casters and the metal plate has a v groove in it. the pumkin sit in it like it was designed for them. Uses a 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar. rated for I think 450 lbs.

Almost suggested this. I have a hoist so my method is/ will be my homemade transmission jack........

img_0892cs-jpg.jpg

-
Back