Light Switch

-

BigRichieO

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my light switch out of my 69 Dart. Is there a trick on getting the plunger out of the switch so you can drop it into the dash and get it out that way? Or what am I over looking here. It would help a little bit if I was a contortionist and my arms and hands were 1/4th the size they are. Thanks in advance for the help.

You have to reach behind the dash, pull the headlight switch to full on and depress a botton on the switch housing oposite side from the wiring connector.

see the button on the bottom.. you have to press that in and pull/wiggle the plunger out..

1AZHS00005.jpg

Above post is correct Unhook battery, pull switch on FIRST

Here's pic of generic switch. Somewhere "up in there" will be a big springy button. Hold 'er down, pull out the stem

A100_LightSwitch-07-466x350.jpg

Thanks so much... this site is the best, instructions with pictures and everything. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again.

You guys were right on the money with how to get the switch out, worked like a charm. I got some bigger problems now though. Interesting thing to me is that I've owned the car for over 25 years and never knew about any of these terrifying looking problems my car has. It looks like I'm very lucky that I didn't end up on the side of the road with the whole thing up in flames. Take a look at the photos.

DSC01731.jpg

Look close and you can see the terminal in the middle of the switch had a wire on it and it looks like the it caught fire and completely melted off??

DSC01734.jpg

The red wire in the middle is melted and it melted the side of the plug as well.

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01732.jpg

The whole thing is scary looking but I think these photo tell it pretty good. So what am going to have to do to get this mess corrected, am I looking at having to get a complete wiring harness? Let me know what my options are or if you have any suggestions on this.

Thanks

I use individual spade terminals since the old connectors are impossible to find. These terminals require about 10 pounds of force to remove. If you put half a dozen of them on and ty-rap the harness wires together, they won't come off.

Attachments

• DSCN1661 (Small).JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 94
-
Back