light weight big block

-

2Big

Reaction score
is there any company making light weight big block internals

440 Source would be a good place to start.

Not internals....but if you want to save weight...

World Products aluminum block....Hemi and big block....cuts weight in half...it is about 225 lbs.

Built two Hemi versions 5 or 6 years ago...these are street motors.... 9.5 comp/ std bore, but would make killer big bore race motors also

It's more a case of parts choice. You can get some light I bem rods with Honda or Chevy journals, you'll need a top of the line crank too, and something like CP piston. You won't get really light weight buying a kit.

is the weight to make it spin faster?....or bulk weight savings?

yea to make it rev faster, would that be better or would I not need to do that

He clearly said "internals" in his original post.

I reiterate. 440 Source.

well as reference having a super light flywheel can cause alot of issues if not properly suited for the application. is a lighter flywheel always better than stock, YES. is a 7.5lbs drilled chromemoly the best, no...

my point is getting weight out is good to a point, getting off the line without a bog with super light stuff can start getting interesting...

to answer your question i think starting with a 440 source crank in 3.75, 4.15, 4.25, or a good used fueler 4.5" throw and then have it properly lightened, knife edged, driller, etc. along with a good .25 gram balance will go along way.

well as reference having a super light flywheel can cause alot of issues if not properly suited for the application. is a lighter flywheel always better than stock, YES. is a 7.5lbs drilled chromemoly the best, no...

my point is getting weight out is good to a point, getting off the line without a bog with super light stuff can start getting interesting...

to answer your question i think starting with a 440 source crank in 3.75, 4.15, 4.25, or a good used fueler 4.5" throw and then have it properly lightened, knife edged, driller, etc. along with a good .25 gram balance will go along way.

Thought fueler cranks did not have a "traditional" flywheel flange?

i think the older ones did as greg had one in his 555" hemi and another sitting on the shelf... but your right i had always heard that to... i'll get the skinny on those and report back...

I'm building a standard 451 which basically is a 440 crank & rods stuffed into a 400 block. Takes very minor machine work. Reason I mention this is you may already have these parts & the pistons are very light, about 750 grams compared to the 440 six pistons which are in the 1000-1100 gram range. My old 440 TRW pistons on the shelf are a whopping 1125 grams. Dropping all the internal weight will make it rev like a small block.

My combo is a 4.15 stroke crank in a 400 with stock 440 length rods. The pistons use the oil ring support as it extends into the pin hole. The pistons only weigh about 500 grams. They are actually half the weight of the MP cast 440 pistons and pins I was using in the 400 before I stroked it.

http://www.callies.com/crankshafts/magnum-xl/magnum-xl-440-and-hemi-mopar/

you probably want aluminum rods and custom pistons as well.

all depends on what you are planning. bob weights etc. rpm ranges. if you call them they may be able to give you all the info you need.

you can also message AndyF over on moparts.org he knows a lot about building custom high-perf high-end big blocks & lightened rotating assemblies. he might suggest some vendors

like hemi denny said you could also get a world products or keith black block. i know KB will cut you exactly what you want.

ALuminum Rods combined with a stroked low deck. And please no one say theya ren't good on the street.

-
Back